Canon XHA1 Still Relevant? - Or Other Entry Level HD Cam

cyndygreen1

we like the JVC GY HM150u
Nice cam Michael...but 1/4 inch chips. I looked at it last year when researching new cameras...but have since dumped out of Apple products, which is one of the main reasons for purchasing one of those. My Panasonic AG-HMC10 has 1/3" chips and everything else offered by the JVC. (although I do give you the dual slots)

Nino

We shouldn’t do this on the board but in the classified section as Kevin could make a few bucks. But I earned it.

While we are in the mood, I’m cleaning shelves making room for new stuff.

I have a Sony Z1U outfit that’s doing nothing but taking valuable space, I don’t like to sale on Ebay. It has a Century WA lens, viewfinder hood, a box of ten tapes, two batteries and a 7” Marshall HD monitor with hood and all cabling. First offer over 2K gets it or I’ll donate it to a local school for tax write off. PM me if interested, I have a Paypal account.

Lensmith

That's a great package Nino!
But...from you, I would not expect anything less!
Love the monitor too.

Always wondered...why do they make reading the hours meter into a pop math quiz? ;)

zac love

My Panasonic AG-HMC10 has 1/3" chips and everything else offered by the JVC. (although I do give you the dual slots)
Do you mean HMC150? The HMC10 is a little POV lip stick camera with a cable down to the recorder.

The biggest thing the JVC HM150 (or HM100) has over the HMC150 (beyond the XDCam / Apple .mov selling point) is the JVC is nice because you can strip it down & it looks like a consumer camera, but you still have the dedicated switches & dials & such.

Both are nice because of the CCDs, so you have global shutters & don't have to worry about skew / jello & flash banding. Postive with CMOS chips are their higher native chip resolution & they eat less light.

If you need CCD, HM150 & HMC150 are the ones to look at. If CMOS works for you the Sony NX5u & Panasonic AC130 / AC160 are good cameras to investigate.

Ive been watching HMC150s closely - thought I had one for $1250 last night on eBay and it jumped 600 in the last 10 seconds! I could pick up a fairly decent HMC150 for $2k out the door though it seems, I think Im going to do that here in the next couple of days... theres a used NX5U on there and its already over $3000 with some time left.

Well, I picked up a HMC150 and 1.6x teleconverter along with a few batteries and a pelican case for everything this evening.

Also got a Rode NTG-2 Shotgun and Sennheiser G2 wireless setup - I think Ill be set for a bit :)

nightteamnews

Looking to get a camera for freelance stringer ENG work. Ive been pretty set on the Sony NX5U but its got a hefty pricetag - considering trying to enter the world a bit softer than plopping down $4k for my first HD video camera.

Im seeing quite a bit said in favor of the XHA1 as a good entry level camera, but most was from 3, 4, 5 years ago. Is this camera still relevant for use today, at least for a 6 months - a year or so while I decide if this is something thats worth more investment in?

Otherwise - what could you recommend thats in the $1500 and under range that would be good for freelance ENG stringer work as a first camera?

Thanks!
SLO..... If your editing on Mac/Final Cut... Go with the JVC- GY-HM 100U... Can find them on ebay all day for 1700 to 2500.00... I use two of them with the GY-HM 700U. Yea people say they are not that great in low light. Shooting news as I do. I have lights on my camera's, and at night shooting 95% of the scenes I have been at, there is plenty of light from police cars, fire trucks etc.

Thanks.... I ended up picking up a HMC150 with Pelican case and Century 1.6X teleconverter, couple spare batts, etc. Added a Rode NTG2 and WS6 muff and a LED panel and Im rockin and rollin. Just did the Version 1.21 firmware update last night so I can shoot on my cache of class 10 cards instead of the "ancient" class 6 it came with.

Goofy graphic I made up the other day with a pic of cam :D (and yes, the muff is in the shot at full wide right now, new shockmount is on the way to replace the stock mount that will relocate it back a ways.)