Avid Effects

Chronically Confused

It's been awhile since I've edited on Avid and had a question about the effects that are not included in the quick transition box.

Suppose I want to add an edgy transition (say Zig Zag from Matrix Wipe section found in the effects tab from the super bin) from clip a to clip b that is only 7 frames long. I cannot find out a way to shorten the default length of this transition of 30 frames.
And even if I want to add this transition to a clip smaller than 30 frames, it will not allow me to, but there must be a way to utilize these transitions other than drag, drop and forget.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

eugalc

I'm pretty sure you can't change the default time for transitions. I think it's always 30 frames. If there isn't enough media to apply a transition I get a prompt telling me so and Avid will apply the effect to the max length that it can or it will let you change where the effect starts so that it fits. Also, have you tried to go into FX mode to manipulate the transition?

shootist

PRO user
It's been awhile since I've edited on Avid and had a question about the effects that are not included in the quick transition box.

Suppose I want to add an edgy transition (say Zig Zag from Matrix Wipe section found in the effects tab from the super bin) from clip a to clip b that is only 7 frames long. I cannot find out a way to shorten the default length of this transition of 30 frames.
And even if I want to add this transition to a clip smaller than 30 frames, it will not allow me to, but there must be a way to utilize these transitions other than drag, drop and forget.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Drop the transition between your two clips. Then open the effects window for that effect. (meaning: bring the TCI [blue line] onto the effect, make sure the track is active and click on the effect key or use the pull-down menu).

At the very bottom of the effect window...in the middle...and very small will be the default setting of 1:00 (1 second). Just replace the default with how many frames/seconds you want your desired effect to be and render.

Last edited:

shootist

PRO user
This is a different Avid question, but how do I add a strobing film effect to video?
Strobe and Film are two different effects in Avid. Strobe Effect is through "Motion Control" and is performed PRIOR to editing onto the timeline. I've got the motion control button residing under my source window...but I don't remember if that was a default setting or if I mapped it there. But basically...you do everything you're going to do for an edit as far as setting your "ins" and "outs", select the motion control button and the dialog box that comes up gives you the option for how many frames to include in your effect....then render. If you're thinking about using the effect for an entire piece, you might think about editing the whole thing...doing a video mixdown and applying the effect to the mixdown....quicker than doing it for each individual clip.

The Film effect is located in the effects queue in the project bin. It's under "Illusion FX" as "film grain". I looked at it once and didn't think it had any value...just couldn't get anything useful out of it and never went back. I know you can modify certain parameters such as "grain size" etc.

Last edited:

Chronically Confused

At the very bottom of the effect window...in the middle...and very small will be the default setting of 1:00 (1 second). Just replace the default with how many frames/seconds you want your desired effect to be and render.
That was totally it! You hit the nail on the head :) Thanks for your help.

I've also noticed that there are some effects that cannot be keyframed such as the kaleidoscope effect for example. I would really think something like that could have some variables change throughout the duration of a clip. Is there a way to get that and other effects that aren't seemingly changeable? Or do I just have wishful thinking?

shootist

PRO user
That was totally it! You hit the nail on the head :) Thanks for your help.

I've also noticed that there are some effects that cannot be keyframed such as the kaleidoscope effect for example. I would really think something like that could have some variables change throughout the duration of a clip. Is there a way to get that and other effects that aren't seemingly changeable? Or do I just have wishful thinking?
In NewsCutter, I can add keyframes for kaleidoscope.

Chronically Confused

I have another avid effects question (by the way shootist, I can't figure out for the life of me how to keyframe effects such as kaleidoscope even though you can somehow)

What I want to do is this effect here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tpbqQ8hOU

I did edit this and you're probably wondering why I am asking how to do an effect when I have clearly accomplished it. Oh the word that is scrolling is THREADING by the way.

The way I went about doing this was a "back door" way so-to-speak. I am sure there has to be an easier/faster way of doing this.

My method was to make a title tool and then make it a marquee. I typed in the entire word - THREADING - and then made it humoungous. Size 500, then saved the marquee. I trimmed the marquee to the middle of the scrolling so you would be curious what the word is. At this point, the wording was still white.

However, once I placed video behind the title, the black became the video (obviously enough). I wanted the black to stay and the white lettering to go away. After playing around with key effects and alpha mattes and whatnot, I ended up creating a video mixdown of the marquee when it was just black and white still, then reinserting the newly created mixdown file in place of the layered marquee and keyed out the letters using (I think) Luma Key.

However I seem to think that there has to be a way of doing this without having to create a video mixdown first. Does anyone have any ideas?

shootist

PRO user
I have another avid effects question (by the way shootist, I can't figure out for the life of me how to keyframe effects such as kaleidoscope even though you can somehow)

What I want to do is this effect here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tpbqQ8hOU

I did edit this and you're probably wondering why I am asking how to do an effect when I have clearly accomplished it. Oh the word that is scrolling is THREADING by the way.

The way I went about doing this was a "back door" way so-to-speak. I am sure there has to be an easier/faster way of doing this.

My method was to make a title tool and then make it a marquee. I typed in the entire word - THREADING - and then made it humoungous. Size 500, then saved the marquee. I trimmed the marquee to the middle of the scrolling so you would be curious what the word is. At this point, the wording was still white.

However, once I placed video behind the title, the black became the video (obviously enough). I wanted the black to stay and the white lettering to go away. After playing around with key effects and alpha mattes and whatnot, I ended up creating a video mixdown of the marquee when it was just black and white still, then reinserting the newly created mixdown file in place of the layered marquee and keyed out the letters using (I think) Luma Key.

However I seem to think that there has to be a way of doing this without having to create a video mixdown first. Does anyone have any ideas?

There may well be another way to do it...but as I was watching the 4 second clip....I came up with my way to do it....and it matches your way exactly.