Any opinions on Sennheiser EW 112 G3 radio mics?

nedmiller

I'm a DP in a quandry. Due to the digital switch over my 2 perfectly good Lectrosonic radio mics are obsolete and the grace period ends June 15. So I need 2 new ones but to go with Lectrosonics is $4600! This is for UCR401 & UM400As. As a DP providing a package, like most of you, I don't make money on audio, it's expected I have 2 radios. Yet the new Sennheiser EW 112 G3 are $3500 less! I will be using my Tram lavs with whatever I buy.

I specialize in non-fiction TV (lots of talking heads & b-roll) as in Discovery, History Channel, etc., High End Corporate, some News and Documentaries. If the audio must be the highest quality, as in dramatic jobs, then I rent the soundman’s package. So knowing this, do any of you have experience with the Sennheiser EW 112 G3s and think it will handle my needs? Thanks.

Ned I work do more sound than video work these days and that is exactly the setup I see most often. Both in my own and other peoples kits. Sennheiser g3 transmitters with tram microphones, most people keep the cheaper ME-2 wireless that comes with it as a backup.

I was in the same position as you until about a year ago when I started using them a lot. I have never had a problem with them and find that they are more than adequate as long as you don't abuse them, drive over them with a truck or subject them to anything wholly unnatural.

Baltimore Shooter

Ned, can you get Lectro re-crystal the sets you have to another freq block? I remember the old days of CB radios and multi-channel walkie-talkies. I had a 3 channel walkie and for a fee I could have the crystal replaced with different frequencies. Don't know if it is even possible but it's a thought.

Warren

zac love

Follow Baltimore Shooter's advice. If your lectros are less than 5 (?) years old, they might still be under their guaranteed parts "warranty". IE, they won't change the block for free, but they'll still have the parts if it is within their window.

I would say give them a call tomorrow (easy to get them on the phone) & they should be able to help you out if you give them the serial numbers of the units you have. It might be the same cost to upgrade your current units as it would be to get the Sennheiser units.

Personally I have only used the G2 wireless mics & have had lots of trouble with them. Multiple occasions they're working fine then all of a sudden start to have lots of hiss or bad hits in the audio. This has happened to me on more than one occasion in locations that I've been shooting in all day. Maybe the G3s are better, but I'd want to test them out a bunch before I would start to trust them.

On the otherhand, I have a Lectro 201 that I will all but swear my life on. I have never gotten a hit on that set & in my mind, that is worth all the money. (Like I just read on b-roll & liked it so much I'm gonna steal) "There is only one thing you can do with bad audio... nothing."

Follow Baltimore Shooter's advice. If your lectros are less than 5 (?) years old, they might still be under their guaranteed parts "warranty". IE, they won't change the block for free, but they'll still have the parts if it is within their window.

I would say give them a call tomorrow (easy to get them on the phone) & they should be able to help you out if you give them the serial numbers of the units you have. It might be the same cost to upgrade your current units as it would be to get the Sennheiser units.

Personally I have only used the G2 wireless mics & have had lots of trouble with them. Multiple occasions they're working fine then all of a sudden start to have lots of hiss or bad hits in the audio. This has happened to me on more than one occasion in locations that I've been shooting in all day. Maybe the G3s are better, but I'd want to test them out a bunch before I would start to trust them.

On the otherhand, I have a Lectro 201 that I will all but swear my life on. I have never gotten a hit on that set & in my mind, that is worth all the money. (Like I just read on b-roll & liked it so much I'm gonna steal) "There is only one thing you can do with bad audio... nothing."

Im just curious do you know what frequency block you were on with the G2's because I have had exactly the opposite experience as you. Several times over the years I have had transient interference on lectro's mostly ucr 190 sets. But never that I can think of on the sennheisers with the exception of when a certain celebrity we were interviewing who insisted in holding the belt-pack dropped it. and even than the unit worked perfectly afterwards.

I know that there are many here who have used the lectro's for a long time and are loath to switch. Heck I used them for the first 8 years of my career. Which is probably why I am such a proponent of them now, or rather that I was originally so skeptical. In the last year that I have been using them they have never burned me.

nedmiller

ORIGINAL POSTER HERE: Thanks for the input fellas. My Lectros are too old to get re-freq'd or get in on the trade in. I would LOVE to stay with Lectros but with 2 kids in college and clients getting cheaper and cheaper, it's hard to justify the $3500 difference in cost between Lectros and Sennheisers. I know the G2s had problems but so far all the input I have gotten regarding the G3s has been positive.

Last edited:
I have used the G2's for a few years, and have been really happy. Just bought 2 G3's this week. Hope to get the same results with them.

zac love

The G2s I've used are on their B block I believe, I'd have to check again. I'm in Chicago so there might be way too much on the spectrum, something I haven't looked into specifically w/ the Sennheisers (probably b/c I don't own them myself).

Quick question to anyone. I love the spectrum analysis that my UCR201 does ( http://www.lectrosonics.com/service/tn1022.htm ), anyone know of other devices which would do the same thing? (Hopefully something cheaper than a new Lectro unit).

I know the G2 receivers have a scan function, but it just tells you how many spots are open. I'd like to see what the block looks like & know what I'm fighting against.

Another question... Does anyone know what "Adaptive-diversity" is on the new G3 units? And how much of an improvement it is over the G2?

zac love

As for the other stuff I believe there is a way to set/ check it in the G series but it is in a menu somewhere.
I think all it has is "Scan" then it scans & tells you "there are 4 free channels" and you can lock out all of the other channels.

Their chart is helpful & a little easier to read than Lectro's old look up table (I guess now they just have a link to the FCC http://www.fccinfo.com/cmdpro.php?sz=L&wd=1680 )

Still I like the graphical representation that my 201 gives me. There are some spots on the Sennheiser's chart that are "occupied" in my area, but the 201 shows there is nothing on that channel. Plus, if there is interfearence wall to wall, I can find the weakest signal (some rogue TV station from Peoria sneaking into Chicago's airwaves) & power over it.

I think it would be great if there was someway to see an actual readout of the spectrum, not just a paper chart (although the chart is a good tool to use as a starting point). Unless someone knows of such tool, I'll be checking Sennheiser's chart next time I'm using a G2.