American Airlines travel ban on certain lithium batteries.

Lensmith

As we all know...several airlines are banning certain lithium camera batteries. They will not allow you to board the plane with them or put them in your checked luggage.

American Airlines is enforcing this rule:

Guidelines For Lithium, Lithium-ion Batteries: Spare lithium, lithium-ion batteries of any kind are not allowed in checked baggage. Spare lithium, lithium-ion batteries for devices such as laptops, cell phones and cameras must be packed in carry-on baggage with the terminals covered/insulated.

For safety, we recommend that you remove batteries from devices in your checked bags and place them in your carry-on in separate plastic bags.

Damaged batteries will not be accepted for transport.

Batteries for automobiles, boats or aircraft will not be accepted for transport.

There are limitations which you need to be familiar with so you don't get a rude surprise when you try and board a flight.

My wife's crew, today, ran into this problem in Miami with American Airlines.

Your lithium ION battery needs to be less than 25 grams of ELC (equivalent lithium content).

My Dionic 90 Anton Bauer batteries will pass the test having only 8 grams ELC...but there are still limitations about how to transport them.

Just giving you a heads up before someone's well laid plans are ruined.

Shipping batteries ahead of time might work once in a while. But not for late breaking plans or international travel.

Below are the government definitions to help you understand this a little better.

http://safetravel.dot.gov/definitions.html#lithium

Here's a link to "suggestions" on how to travel with your batteries...which basically comes down to taping over the battery terminals so they can't make contact with anything.

http://safetravel.dot.gov/how_to.html

Bottom line...know your batteries!

Equivalent Lithium Content (ELC). ELC is a measure by which lithium ion batteries are classified.

8 grams of equivalent lithium content are equal to about 100 watt-hours.
25 grams of equivalent lithium content are equal to about 300 watt-hours.
You can arrive at the number of watt-hours your battery provides if you know how many milliamp hours and volts your battery provides:
mAh/1000 x V = wh

Most lithium ion batteries marketed to consumers are below 100 watt-hours (8 grams ELC). If you are unsure of the watt-hour rating of your lithium ion battery, contact the manufacturer.

Lithium Batteries. When you see this term alone on SafeTravel pages, it refers to both lithium ion batteries and lithium metal batteries. Lithium polymer batteries are a typeof lithium ion battery, and are included in this term.

Lithium Ion Batteries. These are rechargeable lithium batteries, similar to those found in cameras, cell phones, laptop computers, and radio-controlled toys. Lithium polymer batteries are those types of lithium ion batteries.

Larger Lithium Ion Batteries contain between 8 and 25 grams Equivalent Lithium Content (ELC). Some very large after-market laptop computer batteries, and some batteries used for professional audio-visual application, fall within this definition.

Smaller Lithium Ion Batteries contain up to 8 grams Equivalent Lithium Content. Cell phone batteries and most laptop computer batteries fall below the 8 gram threshold.
Lithium Ion Batteries with more than 25 grams ELC are forbidden in air travel.

Lithium Metal Batteries. These cannot be recharged and are designed to be discarded once their initial charge is used up.
Larger Lithium Metal Batteries contain more than two grams of lithium, and are forbidden in air travel. (No common consumer lithium metal batteries are in the "larger" category.)

Spare Batteries. Spare batteries, also called "loose" batteries, are those not installed in equipment. A lithium ion battery inside your laptop computer is an installed battery. A battery carried separately, in case that installedbattery runs low, is a spare battery.
Watt-hour. For the purposes of this page, the watt-hour serves as an indirect measure of Equivalent Lithium Content (ELC). 8 grams ELC are about equal to 100 watt-hour

Last edited:

Capt. Slo-mo

I thought the 8 gram rule has been around for quite some time, air travel-wise--at least for being able to bring fairly unlimited amounts on board with you. 25+ grams would be a monster battery.

Lensmith

Yes, that 8 gram limit has been around but has not been enforced since about 2008.

Battery wattage is the other number to pay attention to.

As long as it is less than 100 watts...you are supposed to be ok.

Carry on rules are strict. You can carry the battery on IF it is less than a hundred watts AND attached to the device.

One of my network buddies has had success carrying on his quad charger with the batteries attached to get around the "attached to device" rule, giving him his additional batteries needed.

The gray area is now how many...if any...extra batteries you can carry on. None are allowed in checked luggage.

Some specific rules allow you to carry on a few, less than 100 watt, spare batteries...but the terminals need to be covered and the exact amount of "extras" allowed has still not been clearly defined.

Capt. Slo-mo

As long as it is less than 100 watts...you are supposed to be ok.

Carry on rules are strict. You can carry the battery on IF it is less than a hundred watts AND attached to the device.

One of my network buddies has had success carrying on his quad charger with the batteries attached to get around the "attached to device" rule, giving him his additional batteries needed.

The gray area is now how many...if any...extra batteries you can carry on. None are allowed in checked luggage.

Some specific rules allow you to carry on a few, less than 100 watt, spare batteries...but the terminals need to be covered and the exact amount of "extras" allowed has still not been clearly defined.
According to the most recent regs, there is no limit on how many less-than-100 wh batteries (8 grams LI or less) you can carry on, as long as they have the terminals taped or are in their own plastic bag. (that's how I transport mine). Of the larger batteries up to 25 grams of LI, you can have one on the camera and no more than two in the carry-on...again with the terminals isolated.

Just be prepared to take them out and put them in their own bin at the security check point. It saves a lot of time and mostly avoids the explosives swab test.

Lensmith

Just finished a day chattting with American Airlines corporate.

The "new" rules they follow.

Only two spare batteries allowed and only allowed as carry-on.

Nothing in checked baggage.

Yes...there is a 25 gram limit BUT that is a TOTAL amount for ALL batteries you are carrying.

Batteries can not exceed 100 Wh. I asked about three batteries since they each have 8 grams and the total would be 24...less than the 25 limit. They said the only way to get three on the plane was to have one of the batteries attached to the camera (device) the entire time and the other two had to be in their original packaging. They do accept the plastic bag/tape the terminals option if you don't have original box.

So...start saving those cardboard boxes your batteries came in.

All of Univision Network is in a tizzy since American is their main carrier of choice to Latin America. Plus, until this week, their battery of choice were the AB 190's.

I keep looking to Anton Bauer to come up with some kind of long lasting travel box for batteries since the cardboard "original" is not going to last.

Capt. Slo-mo

Is the 25 gram limit for total batteries carried on an AA rule, or a TSA rule? If TSA, where is that articulated?

And I'm curious how AA would equitably enforce such a restriction, given that the battery inspection is done at security.

At the scene

Is the 25 gram limit for total batteries carried on an AA rule, or a TSA rule? If TSA, where is that articulated?

And I'm curious how AA would equitably enforce such a restriction, given that the battery inspection is done at security.
Good point!! I was thinking the same thing. If this is a TSA rule then shouldn't it apply to all airlines. Correct that if this is an AA rule how does one enforce it if TSA is checking bags.

Capt. Slo-mo

If the event happened as described with your wife's crew and American Airlines, then I think they somehow ran afoul of a confused agent. AA's official website notes about LI battery transport make no mention of the 25 gram total restriction, and in fact links to the official government rules, like these:

From the FAA FAQ section:

"Q. Is there a limit to the number of batteries I can carry?

A. There is no limit to the number of consumer-size batteries or battery-powered devices that a passenger can carry. Only the larger lithium ion batteries
are limited to two (2) batteries per passenger; see “Lithium ion batteries” explanation above."

And by "larger" they refer to Li batteries greater than 8 grams and less than 25...of these you can bring on one battery connected to the camera, and 2 isolated spares.

dhart

Wondering all this applies to shipping gear ahead via air freight. Same rules apply? Technically you could not ship any LI batteries with the gear, correct?

dhart

Have a gig coming up in South Dakota and wanted to ship my mixer along with a couple of NP-1s ahead of me via FedEx. I checked at my local FedEx office. Not so easy anymore. I would need to take a $700 course on handling hazardous batteries and learn the proper way of packing them. Paperwork needed was amazing. These are new regulations that went into effect Jan 1 2014.

So I bummed a mixer from my regular sound tech that runs on AAs. Just a heads up the airlines and shipping companies are making it extremely difficult to travel with lith-ion batteries. Maybe you can skate by, but if you run into a stickler for details you will leaving your batteries behind wherever you are caught.

Run&Gun

It's pretty simple if you travel, have a set of Hytron or other non-lithium ion batteries. All of my camera batteries are Hytron's, except for two Canon batts for my C300.

OR you could ship via ground service, if time permits. I believe that's how A/B ships their big ones, drop shipped via ground straight to the customer.

Also if you do have a field mixer that runs off NP1 power distro it is worth having the power adapter end that matches whatever type of batteries your camera runs off of (V/ or gold mount) It can simplify some situations for travel and gives an out if for some reason you get stuck in the field without the right spare battery or charger.

dhart

Since the new regs (as I understand them) allow you two spare batteries in carry on I suppose I could take one NP-1 along with a spare camera battery. Nervous that would leave me in the lurch if it died. Asked my rental company about non lith-ion NP1s but no go. I hope someone is working on a safe alternative to lith-ion and we can all get back to hauling batteries aboard aircraft without the hassle.