Ahh, the follies and ineptitude of management. A long-winded rant.

Chugach3DGuy

Figured some of you folks out there would enjoy this, or bash your head into your desk until you can stop thinking about it.

I went in for a little one-on-one meeting with the boss man. Its a weekly event that's pretty much a cheap power-trip for our Fearless Leader. Usually, he'll give us all some time-wasting kind of homework assignment that involves us researching something for him because he's too busy (translated: bar-hopping until the cows come home). To keep this simplistic, my latest assignment was to put together a list of equipment and upgrades for the video department not to exceed $100k. Never mind that we don't even have $100 to spend let alone $100k! I just had to put something together. But not just anything- I had to build a set-up that would rival the top competitors here in town. We need a new camera, (one that can shoot the HD!) new NLE system, REAL software that's not the education version or jacked from The Pirate Bay or "borrowed" from the one guy that used to work here and you're sort of still friends with! We're goin' global this time, and we're gonna catapult this business into the stratosphere!

Well, spending $100k in fun-bucks is fun every now and then, but not when you're given a deadline of just a few days and no details to build on. So when the topic of new cameras came up, I started to talk about different options when I was cut off by this glorious little gem:

"You know, something I've learned recently is that people don't care about good cinematography. They're not concerned about good camera work or anything like that. They're concerned about what you DO to the footage once it gets to your computer. We don't need to focus on doing better photography- we need more toys in your editing suite."

What. The. Frak. Statements like that catch me off guard. There's still that insane little voice inside of me that comes out and says "It's ok to use logic and reason. We're all adults here. We've all been through school and people in general are reasonably intelligent." All I can say is that little voice got a good dose of Captain and Coke later on that evening...

Anyway, the meeting wasn't over just yet. I responded to that ridiculous statement by bringing the whole "garbage goes in, garbage comes out" argument. I even went as far as to argue that the image captured by the camera is 75% of the finished product. I can do a good job of tweaking things in post, but its not a freakin' magic cauldron that spits out pristine footage by itself. Its also nothing like those Staples commercials with the big "easy" button. Unfortunately, his mind seemed to be made up though, and he gave me his final bit of "advice" for seeking out a new camera:

"Look, just find a camera that doesn't cost much but gives good images. Once we get a camera that gives us good pictures, we don't need to worry so much about photography."

Yeah. If you think about that for too long, your nose will start to bleed. Just a friendly warning.

Interestingly enough, he can't comprehend the high cost of full-size, shoulder-mount cameras. "Why should we spend $50k on a camera and lens and it doesn't even have auto focus??? Our XL2 was only $5k when I bought it and it has auto focus! Besides, if we get one of these big expensive cameras, you'll probably want a raise to match the kind of skills you need to work with it. I can't afford that!"

So I'm thinking at this point I should sell him my Canon HV30 and be done with it. This is the sort of place that needs to be made into an HBO comedy/drama like Entourage or something. Only there won't be as many hot chicks, and whoever plays the part of me will have to master a facial twitch. How do people like this manage to stay in business? How?? I read about people here who follow a strict plan and others who take their business extremely seriously. And then I come in to the office to see a man who rolls in reeking of booze every other day and broken down equipment. Promises are made and broken, and yet somehow, things continue as though its normal. Its madness I tell you, madness!

Please contribute. If you've had a manager or supervisor didn't know his arse from his elbow, please give us a story. The way I see it this kind of managerial stupidity should be more entertaining than stressful!

Chugach3DGuy

I'm working on getting outta here a little bit each day. As it is, this job pays the bills and takes up a good portion of time. There's also one really huge project that I want to see finished before I leave. I've worked on it all year, and I want to see my name in the credits!

Other places in town either aren't hiring or pay the same crap wages to deal with similar situations, or worse. I've been piecing together a respectable arsenal of gear and equipment over the past 6 months, and I'm working on building a client base of my own. People are really watching what they spend now, and so things are moving slower than I had originally thought. Its not that people are spending less- they're just thinking longer and harder before parting with their money. From what I've been seeing, it looks like people are waiting until the new year.

I'm trying to get myself into a good jumping off position while being relatively cautious. I can't just leave at the moment because I don't have any kind of cushion right now to live on while I drum up more clients. Not the best situation, I know, but I'm better off now in many ways than I was 6 months ago! Until then, I keep plugging away and biding my time. There will be a celebratory post when I leave this awful, awful place.

Canonman

That sux. I used to work for a guy who was an alcoholic that managed to function by snow jobbing the upper management. The guy should have been a politician. Anything WE did that went good, he took all the credit for. Anything that went wrong, WE got thrown under the bus for. Oh yeah, he was also long on 'promises', always dangling the ol' carrot, but never delivered on any of it.

cm

Baltimore Shooter

Interestingly enough, he can't comprehend the high cost of full-size, shoulder-mount cameras. "Why should we spend $50k on a camera and lens and it doesn't even have auto focus??? Our XL2 was only $5k when I bought it and it has auto focus! Besides, if we get one of these big expensive cameras, you'll probably want a raise to match the kind of skills you need to work with it. I can't afford that!"

So I'm thinking at this point I should sell him my Canon HV30 and be done with it. This is the sort of place that needs to be made into an HBO comedy/drama like Entourage or something.
Start writing that script right away! Get in touch with Ricky Gervais' agent. He can repraise his Andy Millman role and star as the boss without a clue in "The Production Office".

Okay...well, it was just a thought.

Warren

Alaska cameradude

Man, I feel you on this one. I really do. It sounds like in some ways it is as bad as working
at 'the station that shall not be mentioned'. When I worked at that station I got some of the
following gems from management.

"Wires hanging out the bottom of the camera...? Just throw some duct tape over it and call it good."

"No shotgun mic mount? Just duct tape the shotgun mic on the side of the camera before you
shoot the governor's press conference."

"You don't have any lights because we can't afford to give you a lighting kit.....you don't need them
anyways, just interview people by a window."

"No we won't approve a $10 expense for a pair of headphones at Fred Meyers. Just look at the
audio meters and make sure the needle is jumping"

"What do you mean you think the camera should be sent back to us for service. It worked
yesterday didn't it?"

And my favorite....after months of ignoring my warnings, the camera DID take a crap....on
the day the governor was scheduled to make his state of the state speech. No time to get
me a replacement for the top of the line UVW-100 that had given up the ghost. So I got
this gem from them....

"Don't you have some of your own gear?"

Ah yes, I want to use my gear to shoot something for you. Let me guess, I WON'T get
my day rate, just the same crappy $13 an hour, because if you can't afford a $10 pair of headphones than I'm betting you won't pay my day rate. So what after all will I get from
this may I ask?

"The satisfaction of being a team player..."

Now this is just my guess, but that would be kind of like the satisfaction a guy gets from being
a 'team player' on a team like the Detroit Lions.

All I can say is hang in there. It will get better. You gotta do what you gotta do to pay
the bills. But keep the options open and something will come along (after all, with
Obama winning I'm sure the economy will be picking up as soon as he is sworn in :)

Just be ready to jump when something comes along. And maybe you will get the satisfaction
of taking some clients away from the moron who is your boss. I'm not sure when these
guys lose their common sense. All I know is that even if I could afford to hire
employees for my little video production company, I think I'd be afraid to for fear
that'd I'd turn into that moron.....once you hire people all common sense goes out the
window in pursuit of the almighty dollar? Man I dunno but I'm telling you, I've seen
it enough times it makes me sick to my stomach.

Chugach3DGuy

Warren, There's gotta be potential for a good script. I think we have enough material to draw from for at least one solid season of awesomeness!

Alaska Cameradude, I know all about the whole "team player" shtick. Oy, what a show! I started getting hit up to use my own equipment a few times here, and I put my foot down to get extra pay for that. Surprisingly, the boss man signed off on it, and so now I charge rental fees whenever I bring in my own lights or camera gear. It was more of a relief to use decent equipment more than anything else. I personally find it embarrassing as hell walking into a client's place of business with a duffel bag full of $10 flood lamp worklights from Home Depot. Even more embarrassing taking longer to set up than usual because of cheap clamps and rickety homemade stands that give out after 15 minutes of being turned on. Not to say that its embarrassing to use low budget workarounds, but when someone's paying upwards of $1000 or more for whatever project they're paying for, it should show that you're investing more than $20 per year in equipment- especially when the boss flaunts a rather high maintenance lifestyle.

But yeah, the 3 of us that work here hear about being part of THE TEAM all the time, and how we're the new and improved "CORE TEAM" that will launch this company into space! The amount of weird corporate/business buzzwords and jargon in this place is astounding. Phrases like "Synergy", core team, and even weird ones like " Lets burn that to your C drive and talk about it later." Its like a twisted Office Space kind of universe- but without Jennifer Aniston.

The funny thing is that this level of stupidity is almost a daily occurrence. My fellow coworkers and I even have our own end of the day meeting out in the parking that starts out with "OK, you're gonna laugh when you hear what happened today!"

Sore Shoulder, you might be pleased to find that there ARE openings! These are the BEST JOBS YET.

We have an opening for a Web Designer. You'll need to be a genius with HTML, CSS, PHP, and Flash. You'll need to be able to program very fast and troubleshoot problems caused by the 3 previous web guys! In addition to that, you'll be expected to help out our overworked Graphic Designer in the wonderful world of printed media. So, you also need to have intermediate to expert knowledge of Adobe's Designer suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Acrobat, and a strong knowledge of printing practices and workflows) Starting pay you ask, for such a demanding position? $9 to $11 PER HOUR. That's right, bask in that glory for awhile. Benefits include casual Fridays and a free pen when you get to your 3 month milestone. No Vacation time, no paid holidays, no overtime, but you'll get minimal dental and vision benefits after a year. Oh, and no health care. Just to screw you a little bit more, your pay is divided into two groups, Billable Hours and non-billable hours. Your billable wage will be about $2 more per hour than non-billable wages, so you better be billin' those clients every step of the way!

We're also looking for an Audio Engineer. Well, make that more of an audio intern. For this lovely position, you'll need expert level knowledge of Pro Tools. Musical composition and instrument skills are a big plus. You should know how to mic up various instruments and all the tricks of multi-track recording. You'll also need to have a handle on the local music scene, because when you're not putting in intern hours at the studio, you should be hyping up how great this place is and getting bands and rap artists to book recording time. Pay? Hahahahah! You're an intern, silly! You need to prove your worth over the next 12 months to whenever the boss feels like keeping you on as a paid employee. That's going to be pretty tough, because the last 4 audio guys didn't make it long past their 6 month mark.

The boss man used to put up ads on Craigslist, but stopped for awhile because of all the flack he got from people and all the flagged posts. It was ha-ha funny I tell you!

When job-seekers came in for interviews, the hilarity ensued even more. Over a dozen people applied for the uber Web/Graphic Design position, and the very few that were called back had taken positions at other companies in town for much, much better wages. One day, the boss man came into my office, let out a heavy sigh, and confided that it was very difficult to hire people. He then went on a small rant, wondering who the hell these designers think they are wanting to be paid a minimum of $15/hr... or in one case, $22/hr! They should be happy enough to have a job, and they should be overjoyed that they get to "play with Photoshop" all day long and get paid for it. He then went on to say that he's don'e hiring on people with little or no experience. It takes too much time and effort to train someone only to have them leave after a few months. Where are all the career-minded people? After all, he's providing a great environment where we as artists can focus on our work and not the horrors of freelancing. So now its been almost 3 months without a Web Designer, and the amount of pissed off and impatient clients has grown considerably.

We did have a Graphic Design intern for 2 weeks. She was here for 2 weeks only because she didn't realize that the boss man must have kept talking after she left the interview. After 2 weeks had gone by and paychecks were handed out, she didn't get one. When she asked where hers was, the boss man told her that there must have been a miscommunication. She's an intern, and therefore gets no pay. Even though she thought she heard she was going to be paid some paltry wage, she must have misheard him. She was gone within seconds.

Since she was a student of the local university, and because this is a smallish town, word traveled fast, and boss man got all sorts of great hate mail and angry phone calls from the university saying all sorts of mean things. Gotta love the whole "burning bridges" thing!

Well, I made a wall of text, so I'll stop here. There's a whole lot more though. Definitely a script in there somewhere...

Alaska cameradude

Alaska Cameradude, I know all about the whole "team player" shtick. Oy, what a show! I started getting hit up to use my own equipment a few times here, and I put my foot down to get extra pay for that. Surprisingly, the boss man signed off on it, and so now I charge rental fees whenever I bring in my own lights or camera gear. It was more of a relief to use decent equipment more than anything else. I personally find it embarrassing as hell walking into a client's place of business with a duffel bag full of $10 flood lamp worklights from Home Depot. Even more embarrassing taking longer to set up than usual because of cheap clamps and rickety homemade stands that give out after 15 minutes of being turned on. Not to say that its embarrassing to use low budget workarounds, but when someone's paying upwards of $1000 or more for whatever project they're paying for, it should show that you're investing more than $20 per year in equipment- especially when the boss flaunts a rather high maintenance lifestyle.

But yeah, the 3 of us that work here hear about being part of THE TEAM all the time, and how we're the new and improved "CORE TEAM" that will launch this company into space! The amount of weird corporate/business buzzwords and jargon in this place is astounding. Phrases like "Synergy", core team, and even weird ones like " Lets burn that to your C drive and talk about it later." Its like a twisted Office Space kind of universe- but without Jennifer Aniston.

The funny thing is that this level of stupidity is almost a daily occurrence. My fellow coworkers and I even have our own end of the day meeting out in the parking that starts out with "OK, you're gonna laugh when you hear what happened today!"
Ya, I used to think they were doing it in hopes that I'd just use my own gear for the
relief of having something good to use on the shoots. I was sorely tempted but
managed to resist the temptation.....you want to pay crap for wages and invest
nothing, you can get the crappy product you pay for with no lights and
crappy audio full of static because I didn't know the cord on the lav mic was
bad......after all the audio meters WERE moving, cause the static was at a
nice high level.

And apparently all companies now use the 'buzzwords'. Somehow supposed to make us
feel better.
"I only make $8 an hour and get no benefits, BUT I'm part of the 'best multimedia
TEAM in Anchorage. I know it's true cause my boss told me so....Plus I'm
'IT manager in charge of video projects' and that's a killer title...maybe I can go out
and impress a bunch of chicks at Humpys or Platinum Jacks tonight. Not to mention
that I get to 'play' on computers all day. Man what a life I have. It's so good I can't
figure out why the boss doesn't trade places with me!!"

What a LOAD! And he can't figure out why no one wants to work for him....what a
surprise. Seems like Craigslist would be perfect for this guy....wait...on second thought,
I have to admit that once in awhile Craigslist will actually have a legit gig.

Chugach3DGuy

Seriously, I hope you are exaggerating. Who in the hell would hire a company that operates like that????
I'm deadly serious with this. When I first started working at this current place our light kit consisted of 2 100w soft white flood lamps in those cheap $8 steel receptacles with a springy clamp on one side from Home Depot. For stands, I would have to steal a pair of microphone stands out of the recording studio. I complained that a light kit like this is grossly unprofessional, so the boss man went out out and bought 2 more identical lamps. Now we have 4 of them. How does one soften the type of light these things emit? Get this: I was given a roll of freakin' BUBBLE WRAP. "Here, put this over the lamp loosely so it doesn't melt. It will give you a nice soft light! See? you don't need a fancy light kit. You just need to be a bit more resourceful."

Hold on, that vein on the side of my head is throbbing again...

Well, our definitions of being resourceful are very different, so after saving all my extra pennies and dimes for a few months, I went and bought my own 4-light DV-Creator kit from Lowell. Some people here might laugh at that, but hey, it's SO much better than the sickly lights from Home Depot. In the interim, we rented a small light kit from one of the guys I used to work with at the TV Station Not To Be Named. He charged my boss a really LOW rate to rent this kit. We used it a few times, and then boss man decided that it was much too expensive and not worth the cost. Never mind that I get just a few dollars less than what this other guy was being paid.

Don't try to make it make sense. You'll only hurt yourself and those you care about.

How can business be run like this? Its a delicate art of making incredulous and overblown promises, outright lying, and playing to the fact that many of these clients aren't educated at all when it comes to video production. I equate it to a sleazy used car salesman, but with TV commercials instead. Please keep in mind that this is the SAME boss man that thought I could single-handedly shoot, edit, and produce a hit reality TV show for $4000 per episode. I think that old post is sitting around here on the forum somewhere...

I'm sorry, but I don't have the kind of imagination needed to make this stuff up. I guess if it was made up, it wouldn't be as funny. Or frightening.

Alaska_steadicam

This is why when I worked for him, I did freelance at night, so I wouldn't have to deal with ego. And when he wanted me to go full time or leave, I told him fine. $65 an hour, or 550/10 hour day (billable only of course, lower during non-billable). You should have seen how quickly he shot that down (not as quick as would be respectable. It was more hem-haw well what if we did this....I just want a flat yes or no or reasonable negotiation, not a long winded speach followed by an insulting offer)

And the strangest thing, I got to keep my full time job, paying meager but sustaining wages, and I get lots of freelance gigs that total more billable hours than he would ever have gotten me, and guess what? I go out freelance for $65an hour. Working with a sound guy usually. Sometimes a grip or two. I tried to get him to outsource his video work (production, not editing) to me, but that was of course a non-starter. Why advertise your shop as a world class production house when you can screw people out of their production dollars with sub-standard equipment. I mean $1000 for a few hour shoot on an XL-2 with no lights? Come on.

Don't miss working there. If he were to step up and do things right I would be more than happy to, but it seems like hes in it for himself, and more than willing to cut corners to get there. Hate to say it, but I think Alaskacamera dude is talking about another shop that I currently work for, and its way better than the place chugiach is talking about.

Chugiach - don't fill up your production house with camera gear. Get bomb editting equipment and outsource your production to me and my crew. I'll get you a killer deal on everything and give your clients a product they will be very willing to pay for, instead of ripping people off. You'll make more money than you would if you take a loan out on a camera. Oh and if you get this in time and I don't talk to you sooner-Way up north is premiering at bears tooth friday (12th) at 10:10 in the love and pain short compilation. The CG glass shot looks awsome.

Grip

look at it this way Chug....

You don't have to work with that TWUNT Cindy anymore, so its not all bad......

Alaska cameradude

Hate to say it, but I think Alaskacamera dude is talking about another shop that I currently work for, and its way better than the place chugiach is talking about.
Ahh, yes, you work at The Station that shall not be named. If that is way better than where Chugach
is currently working, I REALLY feel sorry for him. I know where he is working, but I have never
worked there before, so although I assumed it was bad, I didn't know it was bad on THAT level.
Actually, I feel sorry for you both. Neither one of those places deserves you guys, and that is a FACT!

Chugach3DGuy

Why advertise your shop as a world class production house when you can screw people out of their production dollars with sub-standard equipment. I mean $1000 for a few hour shoot on an XL-2 with no lights? Come on.
Well, not for a few hours, we're talking $1000 for the whole package. Like 2 hours of shooting, 8 hours of editing/graphics/revisions/etc. and then up to 2 hours in the studio for voice over and music. Otherwise, its $100/hour- shooting OR editing. For my own business, I just submitted a couple of proposals where I charged a bit more for shooting and editing, and so far, I've gotten some very positive sounding feedback.

If he were to step up and do things right I would be more than happy to, but it seems like hes in it for himself, and more than willing to cut corners to get there.
This is EXACTLY the problem. You can't go around promising the sun, moon, and the stars and then get all pissy when the client gets angry after you didn't deliver. Also, I don't think its very good business to not at the very least have a basic understanding as to what you're selling. I don't mind the guy not knowing the intricacies of Global Illumination or how to arrange and put together a DVD menu, but it frustrates me to no end when people go out and talk about how easy and fast it is to create a photo realistic 3D animation within a week. Most times I feel like I'm only adding to the fire when I try to explain the way things work. "What? 3D animation takes longer to do? Rendering? What? OK, how do we make it faster? What are these render node things? Well, instead of getting these things you pointed out, lets just plan on getting these cheap Dell machines on sale for $399 each!"

It seems cutting corners is the name of the game. Gotta pay off those DUI fines somehow! (heh... found his name on criminalsearches.com)

He probably learned a trick or two when you were here working for him. I was SO thoroughly and completely sick of the TV Station Not To Be Named that I was willing to go out on a limb and take a chance. In my time here, I have learned a great deal about the business, and business in general. I think its because I deal with more people and clients directly in this job than I did at the TV Station. So, its not all completely bad, and I can take away some very useful knowledge form this place. It just so happens that I'm learning how NOT to do things, which is better than nothing at all. I understand him being in business for himself, but there's that line between being in business for yourself no matter who you screw over, and being in business for yourself while providing a decent work environment and wage for the employees who provide the means to support your lifestyle.

Chugiach - don't fill up your production house with camera gear. Get bomb editting equipment and outsource your production to me and my crew. I'll get you a killer deal on everything and give your clients a product they will be very willing to pay for, instead of ripping people off. You'll make more money than you would if you take a loan out on a camera. Oh and if you get this in time and I don't talk to you sooner-Way up north is premiering at bears tooth friday (12th) at 10:10 in the love and pain short compilation. The CG glass shot looks awsome.
Well, its a little late for that. I'm at a point right now where I could jump off completely and have enough gear and equipment to get by doing almost anything. I do like having my own camera and doing some shooting myself. I think my practice on being a better shooter has helped my editing skills, and its also helped me with my 3D projects. I can more easily mimic a real camera in the digital world when I know firsthand how a real-world camera behaves. Same goes for lighting. The better I am with these things in real life the better I'll be when I work on 3D stuff. All I have is a little V1U, but I'm getting some great images from it for now, and it should be good enough for small projects. Of course, I'd love to get something bigger and better, but that's not happening anytime soon!

You bring up a very good point! I can't afford to invest more in camera equipment and need to focus more on building up my editing system. I'm waiting on word for a couple of potential projects now, and depending on what I hear from them, I'll keep you in mind. Its always good to know that there are some wonderfully talented people in the area!

Oh, and I'll be at the Bear Tooth tomorrow night. I want to see my 60 frames of glorious blurry CGI on the big screen! Woo hoo!