A civil NPPA thread?

cyndygreen1

Suggestion - I just updated my profile on the NPPA directory...and it is focused on STILL photographers.
As in: Go to the "Find a PHOTOGRAPHER" heading under member services.
Now read: who has these production skills (Still photography, Illustration, Video photography, Video editing, Multimedia production)

I'm sorry - VIDEO PHOTOGRAPHY??? Come on!

Continue to "Who specializes in these types of PHOTOjournalism" - you don't see this, but when you update your listing you are told to leave these areas blank IF YOU ARE NOT A PHOTOGRAPHER.

Ummmm....say what?

Just jesting folks...seriously consider updating this to include the video side...it appears that VIDEOjournalists are a subspecies of PHOTOjournalists. Who must only be still photographers...cause no where do I see any reference to broadcast or video production.

End of minor rant. The can of worms is now open...let the comments begin. :cool:

eb

The can of worms was opened years ago.

The worms have crawled up and out of the can.

Whatever that means.

What I mean is... I really don't think there is any stone that hasn't been turned over in the NPPA debate. We've talked it out. The NPPA has its positives, and its negatives, and we can't change the NPPA. Like we can't change Charlie Sheen. Did I just make that analogy? I'm tired. Charlie Sheen needs to admit he has a problem before he can change.

I support the positives. And encourage the NPPA to become video centric.

cyndygreen1

I fully support NPPA...but wish they'd move out of the Dark Ages and recognize that times (and titles) and much more have changed.

Good analogy. (kinda nasty though)

Steve Sweitzer

What would you suggest?

Suggestion - I just updated my profile on the NPPA directory...and it is focused on STILL photographers.
As in: Go to the "Find a PHOTOGRAPHER" heading under member services.
Now read: who has these production skills (Still photography, Illustration, Video photography, Video editing, Multimedia production)

I'm sorry - VIDEO PHOTOGRAPHY??? Come on!

Continue to "Who specializes in these types of PHOTOjournalism" - you don't see this, but when you update your listing you are told to leave these areas blank IF YOU ARE NOT A PHOTOGRAPHER.

Ummmm....say what?

Just jesting folks...seriously consider updating this to include the video side...it appears that VIDEOjournalists are a subspecies of PHOTOjournalists. Who must only be still photographers...cause no where do I see any reference to broadcast or video production.

End of minor rant. The can of worms is now open...let the comments begin. :cool:
WOW! Things sure have been busy today.
Greetings Cyndy,
I sent your post to Sean and the rest is history. Back to the basics, what wording would you like to see in the NPPA Profile. That can be changed/updated pretty easily and quickly.
Look forward to hearing from you.

cyndygreen1

Thanks Steve (and especially thanks for tolerating my tongue lashing...)

I'm sure others will have better, more succinct comments, but I'll get the ball rolling.

Maybe begin with "Find a Visual Journalist (another can of worms...let's see what others feel is a more realistic definition of videographers/news cameramen/photojournalist, videojournalist...)

Next up:
Incomplete addresses work just fine; if you want all the photographers in Illinois, just leave the city blank, and enter IL and US in the State and Country fields
Again...substitute an agreed-upon term such as "visual journalist" for "photographer"

...who has these Production Skills:
Still photography
(question - how is still photography different from Illustration?)
Photoshop expertise
Video production
Video editing
Post-production/After FX, Motion expertise
News video shooting/editing (different than video production...faster turnaround...maybe use the dreaded "Videojournalist" moniker here)

Dangerous experience part is okay

...who Specializes in a particular area of visual media:
Aerial (___ video or ___ stills)
Corporate (___ video or ___ stills)
Documentary (___ video or ___ stills)
Fashion (___ video or ___ stills)
Nature (___ video or ___ stills)
Sports (___ video or ___ stills)
Underwater (___ video or ___ stills)
Interviews (video)
Portraiture (stills)
Weddings (___ video or ___ stills)
Multimedia production (hmmm...do we need to define this???...if for the Internet, then any of the above would meet the bill, unless of course it implies that MMP can do it all from stills to Photoshop to video to editing to compression and posting)

Who is seeking
a staff position
and has resume listed
one time/short term gigs
other (contractual, series, whatever)

This is pretty much off the top of my head...and I'm sure after others offer their insights and suggestions it will become much better worded and more focused on details. Thanks for listening again...looking forward to seeing what this turns into.

micaelb

The "Find a Photographer" section has been assigned an update. eb, I doubt this will be the same as picking up a split but a spare after a gutter ball maybe?

cyndygreen1

The "Find a Photographer" section has been assigned an update. eb, I doubt this will be the same as picking up a split but a spare after a gutter ball maybe?
OK you two - stop it already with the analogies. I'm getting bowling and Charlie Sheen all mixed up and the mental results are scary. (Especially the reference to gutters)
:rolleyes: