10 Things Baggage Handlers Won't Say

Baltimore Shooter

Read the article 10 Things Baggage Handlers Won't Say. Here are the cliff notes:

1. “Don’t pack light—we need the money.”
2. “We’re losing fewer bags—because there are fewer to lose.”
3. “Some of us have sticky fingers.”
4. “Sure, we can handle your pet—but can your pet handle us?”
5. “We don’t actually do that much.”
6. “Not all bags are created equal.”
7. “Stressing about baggage claim? You should.”
8. “Many of us don’t actually work for the airlines.”
9. “We can’t handle unusual items.”
10. “If you think we’re bad here, just wait till you go abroad.”

Warren

dhart

I just traveled a bit and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I use non brand name traveling cases to help me fly a little under the radar. All my gear made it on to the end of every flight. Some agents even gave me a break on some of the overweight bags. A couple of security points did the explosive snifters thingy on my camera bag but no big hold ups. Of course your mileage may vary...

Michaelrosenblum

I always lock my Pelican cases with TSA approved locks, and they always come back without the locks. Nothing missing... except the locks.

2000lux

That's happened to me too. They broke one of my suitcases several different times prying off the TSA locks. Nothing was missing from my cases but the locks. I finally gave up and switched to zip ties. Ever since then they've only gone in once, and when they did, they very carefully put the cut zip tie back on, even though there was a brand new one inside the bag with a note to please put it on when they were done checking the contents! :rolleyes:

My light kits I zip tie, and wrap in packing tape. They opened the golf case once (where the tripods and C-stands were) and probably regretted it (it was a pain to close). :)

Run&Gun

I stopped locking bags and cases that I fly with. ANYONE can get into the TSA locks, so they are really useless. They're kind of like security at the airport, they make the dumb masses feel better. Now when I FedEx cases, I do try to secure them. And yes, I have had a zipper broken/pried off with a TSA lock on it. I think they put it back on with a twist-tie... And there is no accountability on their parts. It's all in the name of National Security. The monkeys at one of the security checkpoints broke a friends camera light and denied his claim to pay for it/fix it. Spend good money to fly and no one is responsible if anything happens to your stuff...