You may think i'm nuts...

Star Video

And maybe I am...

I'm 26 years old, and i've been shooting for six...

I own a BetaSP/DVCAM dockable, Digibeta 700, and a Z1U, light kit, HMI kit, audio kit, and I edit on my Final Cut. I work hard keepin all my gear working, and I have a successful business. At the same time, I broke into market #7 at CBS11-Dallas as a weekend overnight photog. So, I work a pretty busy week, plus weekends, AND, i'm taking night class in Chemistry in order to work towards a second Bachelor's degree in Biology. I want to go down to A&M Galveston in a year, which I've already been accepted to, to get my Marine Biology degree. I don't want to continue freelancing, because I can't have a flexible work scheduale while taking classes, so I want to work part-time in the Houston news market, either as early morning or dayside. I'm a good photog, and I can shoot nice interviews and b-roll. I'm also going out on training with another guy that does early mornings so that I can do his shift. I know A-B roll editing, and i'm trying to hone my skills so that I can have shome shot and edited packages for a reel that I can send to Houston affilliates. I also freelance for AP and the NBC southern bureau, which is in Dallas, but again, i'd rather work a steady shift.

My goal with Marine Biology is to get involved with a program down there that puts little cameras and radio transmitters on marine animals, and I also want to get into underwater, i'm a diver, and maybe I could get an underwater housing for my Z1U.

Basically, I want to shift from my current career into my next one, but I love news, so what's the best kind of stuff that I can put in my demo reel? Feature stories, spot news? Also, what's the best way to approach stations down there? Should I use my chief photog as a reference?

thanks for your advice,

sneakybastard

I spent a couple years in the Houston market, and it is ALL spot news; shootings, stabbings, refinery explosions, kids floating face down in merky pools, corporate scandals, etc. The overall quality of photography in my opinion is very poor. Lots of over the shoulder shots, little thought/effort in shot composition, sequencing, use of nats, and lighting, the usual stuff you'd expect to see in a sub 75 market. The exception is KHOU, they usually put out top notch video. I'm not saying there aren't good shooters there, but the overall look of news isn't that great.

I left Houston last summer, so things may have changed since then, but like I said, in my opinion KHOU puts out the best product followed by Fox26. KTRK is status quo as is WB, KPRC shoots the flashy MTV style which makes you sick when watching on a big screen TV.

As far as breaking in to the market, I'd say give every Assignments Desk and Chief a call to let them know your experience and that you are in town, have gear and are available. Having your own gear can help out, but some stringers I've spoken with are struggling due to station budget cuts, I'm sure it will pick back up as we approach sweeps. I'm assuming you will be living south of the tollway to be closer to Galveston, which will help your cause when something in Texas City blows up, which usually happens every 6 months or so. 3 out of the 4 major stations are located within the 610 loop, which can hurt their response time when something south of town breaks. Galveston also has its share of spot news, but nothing compared to the immediate Houston vicinity.

I would definitely use your Chief as the #1 reference, put lots of spot news on the reel, but also put some fluff on there to show that you know how to tell a story that doesn't involve a dead subject.

Good Luck!!

Spacey

I agree that KHOU does the best, they're still on SX. KTRK is still on SP (BVW300A's), as is/was KRIV (Ike H55's) but are rumored to be switching up to XD and P2 (respectively.) The KHOU guys seemed to be pleased with the shop, and there are a few here; but as said before - spot news is high and I see alot of burnout easily from the not-so-seasoned.

If you're looking for guidance in the Aqua/Bio field, shoot an email to the Al Giddings crew, most of the time Al himself responds. They do some of the F900/D-Beta underwater shooting for Nat'l Geo, all of which is nothing short of astonishing. I'm sure they'd be able to provide you with guidance. Google "Al Giddings"