XAVC codec

So as NAB winds to a close I find myself checking, apparently in vain for the big XAVC codec announcement. Did any of you that were able to attend get any more information about this...

Will it be a simple firmware update or require hardware?

Will it indeed be free for the PMW 400 and possibly the 300?

When Will it be released or will it not be?

Last edited:

Douglas

The XAVC 10-bit upgrade will be free for the PMW-300 and PMW-400.
Firmware will be released in June or July.

Douglas

But only the PDW-HD1550 XDCAM deck can actually record XAVC video to optical disc. Cameras such as the PDW-F800, PDW-700, and even the brand new PDW-850 (shipping in October) will never be able to record XAVC. XDCAM HD422 50 Mbps appears to be the technical limit of the best codec they'll ever be able to record onboard a optical disc camcorder.

Flaca Productions

Douglas - is the 850 not and "F" camera because it doesn't do 24p? I haven't looked at the specs, but that's jut a guess on my part.

Douglas

Don't worry, the PDW-850 does 23.98 and everything else the F800 can do.
I believe that Sony is only going to give the "Cine Alta" and "F" branding to their large-sensor cinema cameras from here on out.

BTW, the 850 is a very nice camera, but just a slight upgrade from the F800. Lower power consumption, less weight, can take a Triax or Fiber adapter for studio use, the LCD panel has better resolution and picture quality, and updated CCDs. That's about it. Nobody is going to trade in their F800 for an 850.

The only step backwards is the elimination of the LCD sub-display that used to show battery capacity, disc capacity, and timecode even after the camera was powered off. They had to save power consumption someplace to get it within NHK specifications and that had to go. Too bad.

NHK is finally moving to optical cameras and the 850 was basically desgined for them. I can't tell you how many they ordered, but it is a hell of a lot. So XDCAM optical lives on and 90% of the reality show producers and in the world can breath a sigh of relief. There really is no better recording medium when you have lots of cameras and lots of footage to manage.

Robin

Interesting.. how wrong I was.. ! I thought the disc had bitten the dust when the 500 came along .. obviously not.. most camera,s i see in japan on the street are nearly all still tape.. or EX3 type.. the big networks waiting to update I guess..

Focused

I just returned from the NYC auto show. Id wage a good bet that 50% of the cameras on the floor for press day were XDcam-optical disc. Mostly 700s, some of the 300 series and a handful of 800s. Its so not dead.

Following that would be a tie between EX1/3 and canon 5D then the C300. Dont remember seeing any Panasonic. Except for one old 200 that literally had XLR jumpers hot glued into the jacks. What a mess that was. The glue ball was about the size of a golf ball on each jack.

Starman

Interesting observations. I am hoping that my HDX900 will still be making money for a couple of more years