words of wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowbeta

I am currently in the running for a chief position. IF I get the job, what's one thing you have learned over the years that I should know????

Currentchief

Don't get too close to the staff at your station. If you become one of the boys, your ability to correct, discipline or be a boss is greatly diminished.

It's hard, but you need to keep a certain distance, even a minor one so when the time comes for you to be assertive, you can act like a boss and not be one of the boys just being a jerk.

This comes from painful experience and I haven't repeated this mistake again.

cameragod

If they turn in some bad work, instead of jumping down their throat always ask what happened. They may have a good reason for why it all went horribly wrong. then again they may not but give them the option to tell you their side first.

turdpolisher1

never ask your guys to do something you wouldn't do yourself. always be the first to go the extra mile.

when considering job applicants with similar qualifications, hire attitude over experience. it's always better to work with someone with a good attitude and a little less abililty or experience. you can teaach that stuff.

Lensmith

Originally posted by coonass:
never ask your guys to do something you wouldn't do yourself. always be the first to go the extra mile.

when considering job applicants with similar qualifications, hire attitude over experience. it's always better to work with someone with a good attitude and a little less abililty or experience. you can teaach that stuff.
I agree with half of this post.

You do have to set an example and not expect more out of them than yourself. However, the attitude part, while nice and friendly, is counter productive to having "the best".

If you go for attitude over ability then you are nearing the "we're friends" issue over the quality issue. Of course if the ability of applicants is similar, the person with the better attitude should be hired but don't go overboard on attitude at the expense of ability.

Of course you don't hire an A-hole but I've been stuck working for or supervising nice friendly losers too often. It hurts the product. The product is what is most important. Attitude is second, not first.

When I was chief photographer in Pittsburgh, not every photog was Mr. or Ms. Personality. That didn't stop us from having a great photog staff. Nor did it keep me from working with each and every one of them to improve skills or maintain a consistent level of quality. In fact, one of the first lessons any chief should know is they are not supposed to be the best photog on staff. It's a give and take among professionals. Hanging too much on personalities and "getting along" misses what is most important. Getting the best vid on the air. I learned a lot from all the photogs on that staff. Notice I didn't say "my" staff. I didn't consider myself the best...though I'm not too shabby. We were coworkers and I was there to do what I could to represent their needs to management as well as representing managements needs to them.

It's more of a diplomatic positioin than a teaching position. That is of course unless you are in some very small market where you are stuck hiring kids right out of school.

I mentioned it above but I want to stress it a litle more here. Work to have your staff deliver a consistent level of quality. Not just when they feel like it or are interested in a story. Work to have them do their best possible every day...within reason.

It's also easy to second guess people who are out in the field. Respect their situation. Just because you happen to be their supervisor doesn't mean you know more than they do or are a better photog all the time than they are.

Best of luck to you. Being a chief was one of the best experiences of my life. I made a lot of friends on that photog staff. But even those who weren't "best buddies", had my respect and all of them, in one way or another, made me a better photographer.

Consistent level of quality! That's the goal of any good Chief ;)

Lensmith

Originally posted by yellowbeta:
Thanks for the suggestions.

btw-I got the job :)
Congratulations!

Always understand no matter what decision you make as chief, you can never make every single person happy.

Enjoy the job and do your best to be the chief you always wanted to have in your own career.

You'll do well ;)

Hello,

I believe attitude is the most important. However, I do not define a good attitude as being a nice guy. As a chief... I look at things like work ethic, respect for authority, attention to detail and integrity. Anybody that can see can use a camera. Raw talent is nice but you've got to be prepared to use what ever gifts you have all the time. And, you have to understand what it means to be a part of a team or your award winning video may never make it on air. I've had guys who worked for me who had worlds of potential. They showed me some of their previous work and it was excellent. But, their day to day stuff looked like sh*t. They had a bad ATTITUDE!!!

Thanks,
Danny B

PhotoOp71

I think that a solid Chief should be a friend first and a "boss" second. I find that if treat my photogs like equals then they tend to respond in more of a professional manner. I also give them the message that they should not mistake my kindness for weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.