will a regular cleaning tape work in HDX900?

svp

Back when we shot on DVCPro I was told NEVER use those cleaning tapes because :15 of running that tape is something equivalent to 3 years of wear on the heads. We always cleaned our heads with a solution the chief mixed up and Q Tips. The cleaning tape was only to be used in the field in emergency situations and for no longer than 5 seconds.

That's what I was told. I've always avoided them. Correct me if I am wrong.

Run&Gun

No way in HELL I'd put a Q-tip to the heads. Cleaning tapes ARE abrasive, but unless you're using it on a regular basis(which you shouldn't), you should be fine. I always sent my tape VariCam in on an annual basis for a clean and check with either Panasonic or Abel and the heads and transport was cleaned then. I then had a cleaning tape for emergencies.

Your chief was not a smart man, SVP. Look at a Q-tip up close, loose cotton fibers that easily come off. They make special swabs for wet cleaning heads.

I know local stations tell their staff all kinds of erroneous information/use scare tactics when it comes to the cameras and gear.

Also, five seconds is the recommended time to run a cleaning tape.

marstaton4

I'm guessing/hoping it wasn't a "q-tip" but more of a chamois swab or some other lint free medium with denatured alcohol or similiar. Back when we still used Panasonic AJ-D200 (cringe) and "recycled" tapes about a zillion times we would frequently get build up and all sorts of gunk everywhere on the tape path. I'm SO glad those days are hopefully gone forever.

marstaton4

This was from "barry_s" at dvxuser regarding a DVX100 from many moons ago. I'm not saying this is accurate but may be worth a read. I know it's about a DVX100 but the logic is probably similar

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?6888-Guide-To-Cleaning-The-DVX100(a)-Recording-Heads

Cleaning The DVX100(a) Recording Heads

Warning: *The head cleaning procedure is simple, but must be done carefully and correctly. *Otherwise, you risk damaging the heads and facing an $800-900 repair to replace the heads. *If you have any doubts about your ability to perform the cleaning process, you should send the camera to a Panasonic authorized service center. *The typical charge for head cleaning is about $100.

The recording heads should be cleaned as necessary or at least every 50 hours of camera use. *If you’re cleaning the heads yourself, you can increase the frequency of cleaning to ensure problem-free recording in the field.

I am not an authorized Panasonic service technician and you follow these instructions at your own risk. *This is my own procedure and it may differ from other recommendations.

Materials

Pure (>99%) Isopropanol or recording head cleaner (do not use rubbing alcohol—it contains water and may cause corrosion to internal parts.)
Synthetic chamois recording head-cleaning swabs (cotton swabs may shed fibers and are not an acceptable substitute).
Rubber cleaning fluid.

Parts of the recording mechanism that may require cleaning:

Recording cylinder (the two small recording heads are embedded in the grooved silver recording cylinder)
Tape guides and angle pins (these guide the tape through the recording path)
Capstans *(these metal posts hold the tape against the rollers)
Rollers (for tape transport)

Work in a clean, well-lit area. *A work light shining into the cassette holder is useful for seeing what you’re doing. *Place the camera on a table with the Panasonic logo facing down and the lens pointing to your left. *Open the tape door and identify the parts you’ll be cleaning. *From left to right, in a row close to you—a blue tape guide, two white tape guides, a rubber pinch-roller, and a metal capstan. *From left to right behind the first row—two angle pins, the silver recording cylinder, an angle pin, and a tape guide.

Clean the recording heads first by moistening (damp, but not dripping) a chamois-tipped swab with some isopropanol or cleaning fluid. *Place the swab against the surface of the recording cylinder. *Using a second dry swab, rotate the cylinder clockwise while you hold the moistened swab against the cylinder. *Rotate the cylinder for five or six full revolutions. *The cylinder must be cleaned in a horizontal motion. *Cleaning with a vertical motion greatly increases the chances of damaging the heads.

Next, with a new moistened swab, clean the tape guides, angle pins, and capstans with a horizontal motion. *Finally, moisten another swab with rubber cleaning fluid and clean the rubber roller. *Do not use isopropanol or other solvents on the rubber roller—it will dry out the rubber. *Do not use any lubricants on the rubber roller. *If you don’t have the proper rubber cleaning solution—leave the roller alone.

Notes:

If it seems like the recording heads on the DVX100 are the most troublesome part of the camera—you’d be right. *The recording cylinder spins at about 9000 rpm and the track width in the DV format is only 10 microns wide. *For comparison, the VHS track width is 59 microns, and a human hair is about 100 microns in diameter. *It doesn’t take much of a particle to lodge in the tape heads and cause problems. *Fortunately, most head problems are easily fixed with a gentle cleaning. *Never use cleaning tapes—they’re abrasive and can rub debris into the recording head.

svp

Good information. I had always used q tips on all of my DV and HDV cameras as well as old VCR's that needed cleaned. I've never had an issue but maybe I've just been lucky. I've been completely tapeless since 2009 so I can't remember the last time I cleaned heads that way.

I have used medical swabs once or twice in a pinch. They are less likely to unravel or leave fibers. But always prefer the right cleaning swabs given the choice.

Run&Gun

Good information. I had always used q tips on all of my DV and HDV cameras as well as old VCR's that needed cleaned. I've never had an issue but maybe I've just been lucky. I've been completely tapeless since 2009 so I can't remember the last time I cleaned heads that way.
Part of why I LOVE P2. No head clogs, humidity warnings/shut-downs, or stuck tapes. About three years ago I had a humidity lock-down and stuck tape within less than two hours of each other one July day in Indianapolis. To say I was unhappy would be the understatement of the year.

Part of why I LOVE P2. No head clogs, humidity warnings/shut-downs, or stuck tapes. About three years ago I had a humidity lock-down and stuck tape within less than two hours of each other one July day in Indianapolis. To say I was unhappy would be the understatement of the year.
Yeah thats up there with the day I got the humidity warning followed by bad head clog on a shoot down by VMI. If anyone knows the area they know there is not much there, Especially when I found that the kit had no cleaning tape in it.

Starman

Run & Gun, true dat! I love my HPX370, and I really got turned on by my HPX3700, man that was a sexy camera. I just couldn't find a market for it, so I had to replace that one with the HDX900. I DO like the way my P2 is set up though, it has a good broadcast lens (the Fuji series with the gold band) so top end glass, and I am soon to put a slot receiver in the back.

svp

The HPX370 with top end glass performs every bit as good as most 2/3" ENG cams. It's incredible the quality difference after we switched out the stock lens with the high end Fuji and set up the proper scene files. We dialed in a HPX2000 and compared the image to the HPX370 and without disclosing the camera info, asked other photogs to pick which image they thought was better and all picked the image shot by the 370.