Why I'm looking at buying Sony PXW200

Starman

Yes, I know large sensors are popular, shooting on my Canon 5D for that reason, and the other times I rent the C300 or C100, and I know there is all this buzz about the Sony FS7, BUT I'm looking at the PXW200.

Case in point:

1. Lots of clients asking for EX1/EX3 camera.

2. Sometimes client flies in with wallet full of SxS cards.

3. PXW200 is newer version of these cameras, AND does 4:2:2, Wi-Fi, and lots of other nifty features.

4. It's not a huge investment.

Anybody have any feedback on this or opinions about the camera?

Necktie Boy

I didn't like the endless zoom and focus ring. There are no stops. If I remember correctly, the AC jack is behind the battery. You can't run external power with the battery in place.

Starman

True that, I could get a 1/2 inch HD lens, a lot of them for sale now, and I could probably get one for a good deal.

Definitely will look at that idea as well.

Will there be a Wi-Fi version at NAB?

Necktie Boy

PMW-300's are nice. You can swap lenses, but you to find and buy the 1/2 adapter for it. Ebay

The fault reported with the 300 is it will only take Sony batteries. I think only one third party battery will work, and for the DC jack, you have to regular the voltage. Sony did move the jack out from behind the battery, but limited it to 12 volts.

Starman

Well that sucks. I have seen some P2 handheld cameras and such put on a Tilta shoulder rig with handles, and an Anton Bauer plate and power tap for the camera (some sort of battery adapter) I don't care that much about swappable lenses, and I like the price point of the PMW200 or PXW for that matter. The battery thing does not sound pretty though, unless there is a way I can use brick batteries for it.

Capt. Slo-mo

Jacques: DM Accessories has a shoulder kit for the PMW-300 with a voltage regulated V-lock plate built in that allows you to use any V-lock battery. There may be other suppliers as well.

Necktie Boy

Bill beat me!

You can even make your own voltage regulated adapter. They are plates with 12 volt out only. More of a pain that you can't use third party batteries that have AB taps to power lights and wireless.