Where have all the shooters gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shooter5

It wasn't too long ago, that a job opening would bring at least a handful of tapes and resumes from prospective shooters. I'm not kidding myself that Togs are dying to work in the 80th market, but where are all the college graduates trying to get a foot in the TV NEWS door? Every station in the market is having similar problems. Any ideas?

queen of blue

Well, I don't know where the rest of them are ... I can only speak for myself. I left News because I had a family to support by myself and I couldn't do it working 60 hours a week for 50% less than what I'm makin' while shooting PR. And just for Reference .... I work at a SCHOOL DISTRCT, so the money is really NOT great.

There is a station in NC I'd love to work for, it's in the town I need to move to, I really liked the people there, the chief seems to know his stuff and the station looks pretty good ....

But at this stage in my life .... they simply can't afford me. :(

corpvid

I think that news is really getting criticized and being shown for what it really is, and the lack of "glamour" and riches has finally reached the college campus. Add to that, the low pay, tyrant ND's and long hours needed to just do the minumum required at the station, and you see why computers, web design and other creative types of careers are luring the college grads.

WV24fpspro

I've been able to overlook the budget figures for two different top ten markets; which was really incredibly boring until...

One notices what a shoestring budget they operate on. A QUALITY employer has to be willing to pay employees what they are worth to keep them there. -And it's not just the pay either.
Give an empployy some things such as: above average benefits, a chance to work at getting a better schedule, etc..

In conclusion, give them respect. One can't expect to run a shoestring budget operation, and also to run it like they're a drill instructor in USMC bootcamp. I just won't work, people will be looking elsewhere, and be wanting to jump ship.

BTW, Queen of Blue, good points and presentation. Was curious as to what everyone considers a realistic view of what they would be worth to a prospective employer.

csusandman

Originally posted by corpvid:
I think that news is really getting criticized and being shown for what it really is, and the lack of "glamour" and riches has finally reached the college campus. Add to that, the low pay, tyrant ND's and long hours needed to just do the minumum required at the station, and you see why computers, web design and other creative types of careers are luring the college grads.
ooohhhhhhh... I'd love to hit that one out of the park! But, nevermind... I'll just shut-up now! :D

queen of blue

Originally posted by WV24fpspro:

BTW, Queen of Blue, good points and presentation. Was curious as to what everyone considers a realistic view of what they would be worth to a prospective employer.
1. Thank you.

2. Now this is where it gets weird, IMO. Where I'm at now, they don't NEED me. (Shhhhhh, if you ever tell them I said that I'll deny it.) It is a luxury to have a public access station at their disposal and people to staff it. Helps get the word out, but they don't HAVE to have it.

In news - they HAVE to have pictures of SOMETHING. That's why it's television news. If they have professional photogs, who can make the videos not look like somebody's home movies, it will be one more weapon in the arsenal of the ratings war, one more tool to use to help them win.

Why then are news photogs paid at such a crummy rate? THAT I havn't figured out yet.

BTW - When I win the 177 million powerball tonight .... I'll be knockin' on the front door of said station in NC. Then it would just be for fun, and it wouldn't matter how much they pay me. :D Does anybody but me think they'd do that for FUN? Geez.

LeftEye

I left the biz a couple of years ago, and I'm still a news junky, but I don't miss the pay and hours at all. Working as a producer at an Ad agency I'm making 10,000 dollars more a year than I did in TV news - in the same town. I still shoot, edit, and generally play with video for a living. When I think about all the times I stood outside freezing for a pointless live shot, or driving on ice to get video of people who shouldn't have been driving on ice, or looking at my bank statement wondering how I was going to take that girl to dinner, ect..ect...it still makes me shudder.

Baltimore Shooter

Originally posted by shooter5:
It wasn't too long ago, that a job opening would bring at least a handful of tapes and resumes from prospective shooters. I'm not kidding myself that Togs are dying to work in the 80th market, but where are all the college graduates trying to get a foot in the TV NEWS door? Every station in the market is having similar problems. Any ideas?
They probably found how much stations want to pay and that you have to start ou tin small stations in small towns and work forever to work your way up to a big city. They realized that they could work in PR or accounting or some other career and work in a big city for 2 to 3 times what TV stations want to pay.

Maybe we're seeing a shift in careers. Shooters will become a dying breed, then we can raise our rates.

Warren

Run&Gun

Money, money, money... Or lack there of.

Most of us probably didn't get into this to be millionairs, but you have to pay more than $20 something G's a year.

[ October 08, 2004, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Run&Gun ]

Alaska cameradude

What everyone else here has already said. Being paid 22 thousand a year just doesn't cut it at least for me. I went and spent far too much money on a broadcasting degree to work for 22 thousand a year, which is what stations are generally offering at least the stations that would take a look at me (I have no false impression that'd some top 20 market would hire me.) I'm just a solid shooter and editor, nothing special but I use a tripod, lights, get nat sound and know how to shoot a basic sequence. I can set up a live shot in about 5 minutes and slap together a package with only 5 or 10 minutes to air if I have to.....something I bet most photogs on this board can do as well. For those skills we get worked 60+ hours a week, paid McDonalds type wages, and often disrespected, not always, some stations value their shooters but it's hard to get over those paychecks for those hours and all the different skills we are expected to have.

I bought a computer, Final Cut Pro, a 3 chip sony DVCAM, lights, tripod, wireless mics and assorted other gear and just started my own business. I didn't really have a business plan or anything, I just figured I'd shoot weddings and local commercials, as well as freelance news if I am called. And basically I can set my own hours and my RATE OF PAY! Now I am not doing great by any means but I work a couple days a week and make basically the same amount of money as I did as a news shooter. As more news shooters see more options for their video and editing skills I think this problem may become even bigger for TV stations, but that's just my opinion.

Lense_Cap

Originally posted by queen of blue:
In news - they HAVE to have pictures of SOMETHING. That's why it's television news. If they have professional photogs, who can make the videos not look like somebody's home movies, it will be one more weapon in the arsenal of the ratings war, one more tool to use to help them win.

Why then are news photogs paid at such a crummy rate? THAT I havn't figured out yet.
'Nuff said.

C St. SW

The ultimate revenge is when your former ND comes to you to help them cover sweeps and has to pay your freelance rate when they wouldn't give you a raise that would have kept you at the station in the first place.

Believe me....it happens, and it's sweet!

NewsMan

I did that once to my former station. Charged 'em out the ass. Haven't heard from them since... but it felt good.

WV24fpspro

The part that always got me is...

When a videographer has the skills, tallent, and history to warrant a raise; and then finds a way of tactfully presenting their case, only to...

Be WRONGFULLY told that their isn't the budget for it. I don't see the same story being told to the on air staff. It can get rather depressing when one views the diffenece in pay scales; or the type of work required for the amount of pay.

Unfortunatly many a news director and other members of upper management aren't quite able to come to grips with the reality that; you get what you pay for. I don't know how some people are able to sleep at night when paying their workers not much more than poverty type wages.

Now get out there fellow Vikings and keep rowing to keep this ship afloat.

Bulldozer

How about when you go for a raise that was promised to you only to be told that, we have looked at the budget and there is just no more to pay you. Besides according to our books you are being paid more than you should be getting anyway. The raise was for learning to operate the Sat Truck on top of shooting day to day and being on call 7 days aweek because all the other shooters live 30+ min. away from the station. Then they just can't understand when I hand over the keys to the sat truck and say if you can't pay me for it I don't want to work on it.

-----------
It is good that war is so horrible, for we might grow to fond of it.

mattyboy

what ive found is no one wants to be behind the camera just in front of it. now im no chief, but i know whwen we do have openings it takes a long time for us to fill them. and most of the time the tapes come from guys who were in master control.

Run 'n' Get 'em

Who needs shooters when the reporters can carry a handycam, maglite, and powerbook and work! :D

But seriously, I work for cheap because I love what I do. I like coming into work not knowing what's going to happen that day, would I be home at 12a (nightsider) or 4? I guess it's one of those things where if you like what you do, you make due with what you get (plus additions every so often along the way).

Status
Not open for further replies.