What's Your Computer Setup?

I am going to buy a new computer in the near future so I can take my production business to the next level. I'd like to know what some of you guys are using. What model did you buy? How much memory? What size monitor? I'm not trying to go cheap but I don't want to overbuy either. What system did you purchase? Are you happy with it? Anything you would do differently?
Thanks for you help boys and girls. You have no idea how much it helps me!

willis

I'll go ahead and give you my specs, although I built my system myself, and am tri-booting OSX, Windows, and Kubuntu Linux. Also, I don't really know what you'll be using your system for, you might need more horses than me if you're doing a lot of complex stuff and need more realtime-ish performance.

Specs are:

4 GB RAM
2x300GB SATA HDD (RAID-0 array for OSes)
500GB EIDE drive (backup drive for OS RAID)
GeForce FX 7600GT
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 (OC'd to 3.2)

cut using:
Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro, Premiere CS3.

FX:
Boris Continuum, RGS/Trapcode plugins for After Effects, CS3 Master Collection, Maya Unlimited, 3DS MAX

Other:
Sorenson Squeeze, Camtasia Studio, SUPER Video Converter, CoreFTP Lite, VLC...

I'm sure there's more.

Tom Servo

I built mine too. AMD64x2 2.8ghz with 4 gigs, a 500gb main drive and a 500gb media drive, both SATA (the new Seagate perpendicular recording ones, which are really cool), a GeForce 8800GTS card (Yes, I game too). Has a bunch of "just because I felt like it" extras like a custom paint job and lighting. Whole assembly cost about a grand.

If you build your own, do yourself a favor and get a really good case and power supply. I particularly like thermaltake's Armor line.

TexasDave

Well, I have a mac with FCP on it with 2 apple superdrives. I'm not freelance, so I don't need as much as the other guys. One thing to consider - get two monitors. It makes editing a whole lot nicer.

And I'm not very technical, so I don't know the specs... that's why I have an IT department!

Necktie Boy

I also built my computer. Dual Core 1.8 with 2 gigs of memory...Lots of 7200 rpm
hard drives....FX 1300 video card....Dell 24 inch monitor, best one on the market... (Saving for a second one)....Tablet and shuttle wheel....

EditOne

Intel Mac dual 2.0 GHz
GeForce 6600
10Gig RAM
dual 22' lcd's
250gig system drive
1.5Tb internal SATA Drives
external 500gig G-Raid FW800
Running:

FCS 2.0
Adobe CS3
Shake