What now?

Imachief

My new ND has taken great pains to tell me I'm not appreciated, or wanted. So what's next? I've already been told I'm too old & cost too much. All this despite the fact the GM has called me "the glue that holds the damn place together".

2 Hungry Dogs

Been there felt that. From my experience the clock is ticking for you. The only question is will you find another job before he manufactures reason to fire you.

Good luck

shootist

PRO user
certainly understandable to want to vent a little. but....there are some pretty sharp guys on this site that might be willing to impart some useful perspective if a few more facts were known.

i mean...if that's what youre looking for. if not.....then i hope it all works out the way you'd like it to.

Sasquatch

How many News Directors have you worked for? He will likely not be the last. It's a job with a short lifespan.
My guess is he is intimidated by your authority in the newsroom. Help him to see you as an ally instead of an enemy.

grinner

looking back, when I out-grew a place I was staffing for, I split. It was always the best way to get a five-figure raise.
It aint that life is too short to work for a bonehead, man life is too looong for that. Shake his hand. Wish him well. Leave the GM your digits and charge a premium when he calls ya for freelance work.

Sasquatch

looking back, when I out-grew a place I was staffing for, I split.
I don't think we're talking about "outgrowing" a place here. Sounds like it's a case of bullying.
Find a way to work WITH the new boss. And then outlast him.

Or leave on your OWN TERMS.

grinner

I see it as out-growing. When a place starts hiring folks above ya, making less than you (and therfor have plenty of tude) you've most likely outgrown that place.
Maybe it's time they replace the ND with you? This would utilize your age/wisdom and justify your salary/rate at the same time. It'd pull ya out of the field, which may drive ya crazy. This is why I mentioned talking to the GM about freelancing. It's a great way to double your pay and cut your hours in half.

Spot remover

Start Documenting...now!

Write down names, dates, places, witnesses, content of conversations.

After a few of these nasty encounters, talk to the GM (if you think he'll give you a fair hearing) and see what he can do. Maybe he'll move you out of the department and make you News Ops Manager or something else untouchable by him.

In the worst case senario, and if legal in your state, secretly record conversations with the ND. This is last resort stuff. Have a "talk" with him regarding your future. If he calls you too old or some other reason for poor treatment, keep two copies of that tape and take it to a lawyer for redress. But, under no circumstances do anything at work but perfect behavior. This is only to be done if you absolutely know the ax is falling!

Too bad. I was in your position a few months ago and he ended up leaving first and now life is better with the new ND.