What do you do?

LONGLENS

Hey Guys,

A quick question for you. What does your ND expect from you? Do you shoot everyday, manage the fleet, manage the photogs, order supplies, work with engineering? If so how do you manage your time?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

stix

I shoot everyday. I set the schedules. I order the supplies. It is hard to manage the photogs when you don't see some of them for weeks. I recently talked my ND into getting me a Blackberry which has helped me respond (from the truck) to the myriad of emails that require my response each day. I occasionally ask for some 'paper time' to catch up and they usually accommodate me. Some days I just want to be a shooter. Send me anywhere! Just don't ask me to do any admin!

Imachief

I used to shoot every day, now I only shoot 4. The 5th day is a desk day I use to catch up on critiques, paperwork, etc.

I am expected to keep charge of the fleet, order supplies, put out the day to day fires that crop up. I don't do the schedule, my ND found it better the staffing if the entire News Dept.'s schedule is done by one person. One less headache for me!

I also do a maintenance for my guys. In fact, our engineers are so overworked I've been given my own bench in the engineering shop. I'm getting a lot better at soldering. :-

What does my ND expect of me? To run the photography department. Make sure everyone's gear is in working order. Manage the various egos, try to keep morale up, and ensure the quality of the on air product. All within the pittance of a budget "bestowed" on me by corporate.

How do I do it? Well, my average work day is 10 1/2 hours. I've also found drinking helps. :)

yellowbeta

In the small market I'm at it's everything and anything. I shoot 5days a week, teach, help with the internet, repair equipment, and pull on call time.

So what's expected of you depends on the market size.

Spot remover

Here's what I do...

- Hire
- Review
- Shoot/edit 5 days a week
- Fleet maintenance
- Schedule
- Teach
- Hire
- Gear maintenance
- Gear Acquisition
- Fire put-er out-er
- IFB guru
- Local handyman
- 3rd rate engineer

Also...
Father
Substitute boyfriend/husband (w/o benefits)
Best friend
Worst enemy

Staff of 15, 19+ vehicles and numerous reporters

SmlMktChief

LONGLENS said:
A quick question for you. What does your ND expect from you? Do you shoot everyday, manage the fleet, manage the photogs, order supplies, work with engineering? If so how do you manage your time?
All of that and more!!
Shoot 5 days, Manage a family (which includes my mother-in-law),
critique, order, vehicle maintenance...and the list goes on. You manage your time by doing what you can when you can. Mostly 10 hour days.
But most of all, leave work at work, don't take any of it home.

BluesDaddy

Every day shoot, edit, go live (we have 1 SAT/ENG & 2 ENG trucks)
Primary uplink operator
Responsible for all vehicle and gear maintenance.
Third-rate engineer (thanks Randy) - I help the primary technician with some of the easy repairs, cleaning, etc.
Find and hire a couple photogs a year
On-call rotation
Train, mentor, berate
Buy stuff
Constantly smoothing things over with my wife because of my crazy schedule and overtime. Miss many kids' bedtimes.
Average 50 hrs/wk, more during football season.

sneakybastard

The daily routine starts @ 5:30am with a pint of extremely strong coffee, then I.........
Direct a live 3 hr morning show
Shoot/produce/edit commercials & pkg's
Create all graphics
Manage field equipment (only one vehicle, plus the ski lift directly out the front door)
Somewhat engineer (don't touch the red wire to the black wire)
Ski whenever possible (62 days last year.

Wish the NFL hadn't banned me from the sideline, otherwise I'd be doing Broncos games too.

Just Wondering

Spot remover said:
- Hire
- Review
- Shoot/edit 5 days a week
- Fleet maintenance
- Schedule
- Teach
- Hire
- Gear maintenance
- Gear Acquisition
- Fire put-er out-er
- IFB guru
- Local handyman
- 3rd rate engineer
Me too !!!!

Add to that.
Praise and admonishment
Live shots
Venting board
Lobiest
Project estimator

AND LOL.....First one in line when it's time for BUTT CHEWINGS

23 direct reports, reviews, mentoring, referee,
5 live trucks
2 satellite trucks
19 fleet vehicles
First out the door for breaking news
shoot 85-90% of the time
average 50 hours weekly
spend 3-5 hours weekly in helicopter
order everthing from AA batteries to sat truck

. . . but at least I get to tell people I work in Television News!