Web Content

MMrozinski

Pretty touching story with some amazing sound. Makes your heart break.

I have real problem with this story from an ethical stand point. Maybe this is a good time to have a discussion about putting music in a story. I think maybe you could have got away with it, but you made the music as much apart of this story as the people in it. I've had a real change of heart with music in stories over the last year or so. It works occasionally when you are dipping it in and out and when it is sort of unoticed so to speak. The way you used it sort of made me feel like I was watching a memorial tribute at his wake or was at a church. It was a cheesy selection also. Just because stuff is geared toward the internet doesn't mean we don't still follow the same ethical standards you would on TV.

Your sound was gripping enough that you didn't need to rely on music to pull the emotion out of the story. There is a number of ways one could have approached this. It looks like you just pulled some great sound and file vids so I'm not sure what you had to work with.

I definately felt it but was I tricked because of suggestive music? I'd love to hear what the other guys think about this................

SeattleShooter

I understand what you are saying. It would not be typical to see this kind of story on television news (and I would not add music for television broadcast unless it was part of the story) but the argument might be is web content more open to this kind of stylistic sidebar to the bigger story? My overall impression at work was positive.

Here is the story that we did that night. No music, bad edit deck, and no track mic.

http://www.komonews.com/news/92841429.html?tab=video

I also have to add that if people have problems with music, then they should have big problems with the "swoosh" sound that is put in PKGs with Maps and graphics. I hate those. Plus, breaking news music. There is another dumb idea. Ours sounds like a huge Orchestra soundtrack from some Chuck Norris movie.

Last edited:

MMrozinski

I'm not sure that posting the original story helps your cause much in regards to the ethical infraction. In fact, it just reassures me why I don't like the idea. I believe you that it got a rise out of your co-workers, the web viewers, it made me feel all mushy. That still doesn't discredit that fact that it's an ethical infraction.

This is an age old argument that as I matured in this business I realized why you don't do it. Really we are to deliver the news without any suggestive material that makes me think one way or the other. We give the story and the facts and you be the judge. That piece was something more for a production co. rather than a broadcast news station.

After this you could talk about a number of things that we do to alter video. Really doing anything but airing raw video is suggestive. But music is a big no no in my book. I still stick my guns about web content. If you won't do it on the tube don't do it on the net. The same ethics apply because you are still a respectable/ethical broadcast news station in both areas.

Last edited: