Washington, D.C. Restrictions

SoMissTV

I'll be in town at the end of the month, shooting for a function at the Smithsonian. I have been assured that I have the clearances to shoot on the Mall while at this function, but while I'm town, I'm kicking around the idea of gathering additional b-roll for a weekly newsmagazine that runs on public television in my state. Specifically, exteriors of the Capitol, the USDA, the White House, and the Supreme Court would all be helpful to future news story packages. So here's the question for my D.C. brethren: What's the easiest way (if there is one) to be able to use a set of sticks to shoot these visuals for newsgathering purposes? Any idea with whom I'll need to get clearances / credentials / etc? Any tips?

Thanks!

SoMissTV

AKinDC

Sorry, don't have time for a long post, but call the Senate TV Gallery, (202-224-6421) and they should be able to answer all your questions and get you set for credentials, which will make your life easier in all the locations you're interested in.
Feel free to PM me if you have specific question later.

2000lux

There's always the DSLR on a stills camera tripod, Bermuda shirt, cargo shorts, fanny pack, and a dumb hat trick. i.e. look like a tourist. ;)

aussie

I'll be in town at the end of the month, shooting for a function at the Smithsonian. I have been assured that I have the clearances to shoot on the Mall while at this function, but while I'm town, I'm kicking around the idea of gathering additional b-roll for a weekly newsmagazine that runs on public television in my state. Specifically, exteriors of the Capitol, the USDA, the White House, and the Supreme Court would all be helpful to future news story packages. So here's the question for my D.C. brethren: What's the easiest way (if there is one) to be able to use a set of sticks to shoot these visuals for newsgathering purposes? Any idea with whom I'll need to get clearances / credentials / etc? Any tips?

Thanks!

SoMissTV
Sorry if this sounds naive but why do you need permission to shoot your national monuments using a tripod ?

SoMissTV

What he said. On the bright side, the Smithsonian Folklife Festival handled the credentials. If any of the DC peeps are going to be on the Mall Friday, let me know.