Vehicle Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Old

:mad: To anyone out there in charge of their news fleet: How do you insure that your staff is taking care of vehicles? How do you make sure that they fill the vehicles with gas after use and do not leave their trash in them?? I have a situation with about 8 SHARED news vehicles and live trucks and I am constantly finding them littered with trash and not filled up with gas (especially the live trucks) for the next person. I have tried just about everything to alleviate these problems with not much luck. I know that there are inconsiderate photogs/reporters all over the country, not just at my station... Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

PhrozenPhoto

Try mindless paperwork. Here's what I mean. Tell them that because they have abused the rules time after time they now get to fill out paperwork on the condition of the vehicle at the start and end of the shift. I would just have a simple half sheet that has the points you are concerned about. Unit#, Fuel Level, Clean/Dirty, whatever else is needed. Then if the paperwork at the end of person X's shift says full and the next person comes on and it is empty they will face the music. I'm sure they'll love the extra hassle... (not) but explain to them clearly why it is being done and maybe they'll step up and start acting like grown ups with the shared equipment. Granted as full disclosure, I don't have the cleanest newscar in the world, but I'm the only one that has to live in it, the live trucks, I try my best to think of the poor next guy that gets stuck in it, and try to make his life a little easier....

mknisely

I agree, paperwork is the best way to do it. Make sure you keep taps on everything from Unit#, start of shift, end of shift, fuel, odometer at start, odometer at fuel up along with time and price, a place for receipts, a check box for clean or dirty, last car wash, tire check, and oil change. Also do mid-day spot check yourself. It really is a big hassle, but I can tell you it really cuts down on things that are not getting done. It also after time holds everyone accountable and you’ll noticed more mature operation of the news units.

This will really reduce a lot of your problems. However, it will not stop the habitual abusers, but it will allow you to narrow your discipline to a set user.

If you would like a copy of our user log please drop me and email and I'll send you a copy.

Peace,
Matt

fstop

Try to use a reward to encourage good car care. The person that takes the best care of the shared news cars consistantly should be the next in line for a take home car.

Currentchief

I've tried assigning the care/condition and responsibility of the car to the daysider or the first person to use the car.

This allows the following:

- The car gets better care when it "belongs" to someone. They get a sense of ownership.

- That someone will usually get on the photog he/she shares the car with and hound them to bring it back in good condition. If they have a problem they can't both agree on, only then do they bring the problem to me.

This usually works fairly well, but depends on the personality of the photogs. A regular inspection doesn't hurt, either.

Good luck!

kfatica

Luckily for us, most of my staff have a take-home vehicle. They are responsible for the upkeep of their auto including oil changes, tire rotations, wiper blade replacement, etc. Any abuse of the vehicles is not tolerated and can be revoked from the assigned photog at any time.

I give the cars a look when they are parked in the drive or in the garage unattended. If one looks slovenly, I find the offending driver and ask him to clean it up and I never get a complaint. Most of our guys take great pride in their vehicles, thank God.

On the other hand, the live trucks are a real pisser. We've tried sign-out sheets for the trucks, but so often when the guys are being shipped out to spot news, there's no time to fill out forms. The early morning crews may not bother because they are busy, too.

You'd be amazed at the crap I find in the trucks. Everything from fast food trash to dirty laundry. I know who leaves the dirty laundry and several guys have complained about it. The most maddening problem is keeping the gas tanks full. All staff photojournalists have a BP card, so there is no excuse. It has been made clear that if someone is caught continuously leaving the tanks dry he will be reprimanded.

I just do my best to let people know somebody is looking over their shoulders to keep some pride and dignity in tact. Most times it's effective, but sometimes not.

I doubt you will ever hit 100% success without having some sort of fear factor built in. I think the key is making sure everyone understands that being considerate of their brethren is important to the harmony of the staff.

Regards,
Kim.

shootcam

Hello, I agree with the accountability paper route, and a serious meeting. They will not fill in the paper work for a variety of reasons/excuses. Have spot checks early in the morning or when they are editing and confront them with that their responsabilities include not only station camera gear, but maintenance and upkeep of station vehicles as well. This was a problem for me about a year ago. I did the paper work, wrote their asses up, put it in their file, and tried to make them understand they represent the station, and when a reporter complains to me, and the complaint pans out, **** happens. Shifts change, day off requests are rejected etc. Keep daily records of vehicle by number, who drove it last, and how much gas is in it when you make your spot check. Surprise is the best element. Believe me, my own vehicle has wrappers,(paper, not singers) in it at the end of my shift. I simply empty out all the loose paper and move on. I also had the ND agree to hire a car cleaner that comes to our station, every other week. One week wash, next time interiors.We are looking much better now. Also detail every 6 months. This vehicle upkeep is a job in itself. Better if they leave the vehicles at the station every night. That way early or late you can keep an eye on oil changes, inspection stickers, fuel, cleanliness, tires, damage,etc. Stick with it and it will work out for you. You must give each photog an assigned vehicle, even if shared to pull this off. Accountability is the key phrase. No excuse,no mercy.I could write a book about irresponsible photographers driving vehicles unfit to be on the road, but that was in another world. Good Luck...

Currentchief

Kim is right.

i have the same problems with my photogs when it comes to keeping the live trucks clean. The other day, a truck normally kept at a bureau came in for maintenance. I found:

- enough sand to fill a Big Gulp (think about it)
- Missing wastebasket
- snapped off armrests
- pieces of video tapes
- a pile of gum wrappers
- the toolbox being used as a trash can
- and old pair of hip waders

I asked the photogs at the bureau about it and all I got was "I don't know who did it"

This is nothing new. We've had similar problems with the other trucks as far as sand everywhere, missing gear (5 IFB boxes lost in the past 12 months) and empty tanks. We have sign out sheets, but the trucks change people so often (3 or 4 per day) that pointing a finger is problematical.

I am ready to assign trucks to photogs permanently

Land Rover

At my last station, the people who took the best care of their news units were first in line for a new one and sometimes even got a choice of what type they wanted, car or truck, when they came in. Some people have never gotten a new vehicle since I've known them.

A Step Above Productions

I am not a chief but look at this way… I am one of the few who takes pride in keeping the trucks clean, full of gas and maintained. It gets old when I get into a truck that is filthy. I clean it, vacuum and wipe it with Amoral wipes I have paid for with my own money, and all this goes unnoticed. The only time you ever hear anything is when something goes wrong. It could be a year between problems and as soon as something minor goes wrong the threats are tossed out.

What do you suggest I do? I am in a bureau and I work with the same guys day in and day out. We usually get one and others back, if one of us missed something the others gets it. So the truck almost always clean. So when asked why something was dirty or not where it should be I might not know. What’s wrong with that? People other than us in the bureau do come and use our truck.

At times I have seen chiefs try to put fear into their staff… this does not work. We are all professionals and should be treated that way. Don’t treat us like children or that is what you will get in return.

When a truck is in a bureau and it is almost never at the main station minor thing go with out being fixed, it is a waste of time to send it to the main station if something small breaks that has nothing to do with the overall operation of the truck

Status
Not open for further replies.