trouble with Sony Vegas

jbigfoot

I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 to edit my Betacam SD material. The tapes are captured with a Blackmagic Intensity Pro, stored in .avi. The problem is, when I render in .wmv, the pictures look soft & muddy. I'm attaching screen caps. The first is the AVI file capture, the second is an AVI render of the edited material, and the 3rd is a WMV render.

I also see some interlace artifacts in the middle picture.

If you're using Vegas, what settings do you use to get the cleanest picture?

Necktie Boy

What rate and size is the wmv file? There is small color shift, but I am not a Vegas user. And I believe the screen grab is the cause of the artifacts. Wrong field.

jbigfoot

What rate and size is the wmv file? There is small color shift, but I am not a Vegas user. And I believe the screen grab is the cause of the artifacts. Wrong field.
Do you mean the bit rate? It's 12.91 Mb/sec. The size is 720X480.

I can change the field order and the deinterlace in Vegas but I have no control over these things in the capture phase...but you're saying this is only in the screen capture, that they may not be there in the actual video? Right now, it's set for no deinterlace and lower field first.

Necktie Boy

First, I read your other thread about a capture card.

I should have been clearer. What is the bitrate of the wmv file? Adjusting the bitrate will change the size of the file and the quality. The "softer look" may be of the bitrate setting. You should be able to adjust the bitrate to your liking, but the file size will get larger. Sometimes the presets are not the look you are looking for.

Don't use Intensity Pro Card, but you should be a window that allows to use the pro amp to adjust analog video. But your video looks fine. What does the scopes show? Also, there may be a output setting to adjust the color and levels.

Reading Blackmagic's Intensity Pro card, I don't see that it works with Vegas. With other editing softwares(FCP,PP) it load its presets in those softwares? Do you capture directly in Vegas or are you using their utility to capture then import into Vegas? The manual that I have is pretty weak on information. The web site doesn't mention that it works with Vegas either.

The rate and size that you gave is for wmv or the avi file?

All that said, how does the video look on a NTSC monitor?

Ben Longden

I would hazard a guess the softness is due to the low bitrate of the WMV render.

The .avi screenshots look fine. The "artifacts " are a product of the interlacing. Using the deinterlace button in Photoshop fixes that problem for stills taken from the project.

Ben

jbigfoot

Thanks, guys, now I have a better idea of where to start looking. I did some research and found the arcane registry settings that improve the quality of the .wmv encoding process. (like DQuant) I compare it to a restaurant keeping a few steaks set aside for their customers who speak up while the rest of the rabble scarfs down whatever they hand 'em.

On to the specifics...

What is the bitrate of the wmv file?
The first incarnation, which I wasn't happy with, was 12.91 Mbps. It was CBR so a lot of bits were obviously being wasted. I'm using a VBR of 6 - 9 Mbps and combined with the registry changes, are looking much better. I'm still tweaking a few things to really supe it up.

Don't use Intensity Pro Card, but you should be a window that allows to use the pro amp to adjust analog video.
Huh?

What does the scopes show?
The black levels are a little high going in, which I can correct.

Reading Blackmagic's Intensity Pro card, I don't see that it works with Vegas.
It does, but not directly. (see next)

With other editing softwares(FCP,PP) it load its presets in those softwares?
Yes.

Do you capture directly in Vegas or are you using their utility to capture then import into Vegas?
Their utility captures it, converts it to an .avi, then dumps it in the media bin as if it were imported. But their capture program doesn't seem to be as robust as Blackmagic's (prone to dropped frames if other things are going on with the computer) so I'll stick with that.

The manual that I have is pretty weak on information.
A common shortcoming.

The rate and size that you gave is for wmv or the avi file?
the first incarnation of the .wmv. I wasn't able to get a bit rate reading on the .avi.

All that said, how does the video look on a NTSC monitor?
Never checked it on one. These videos are strictly for a webzine so I'm staying within the computer realm.

Necktie Boy

Adjust incoming analog video:

Some cards and software has a pro amp to adjust video levels. Just like you would do with a VTR with a TBC. My cheap software/hardware card lets me adjust levels. Never have used the hardware.

I would still check out the video on a NTSC monitor. Just to make should looks good. I still check on my monitor even if it's web work. Also you can try to adjust your computer monitor with color bars. I have. Pretty close but my NTSC monitor is better.

Good to hear that you are solving your problems.

I believe Ed(couryhouse) is a long time user of Vegas. He should be able to help you over the bumps.

jbigfoot

Oh -- a proc amp. This card doesn't have that. But I do set levels for camera bars in Vegas or from the Beta PB deck.

Yeah, the problems are getting knocked down, one by one. I was a linear editor (one of the last, I'm sure) and did very little NLE at the station before my untimely departure. I'm learning, though.