tripod purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to purchase new tripods - current ones old and crappy. Working on a budget for new tripods -but here is the problem I have run into and need help on. I want the Sachtler Hotpod - which run about 7 grand a piece. The suits won't go for that. They will give me (at most) 3 grand a piece.

I have a feeling I won't win this battle. Anyone know of a good realible tripod for a DVC Pro camera for that price range? We have old breaking Manfrotto's - and I don't like them.

Any help would be useful.

"the road goes on forever and the party never ends" - Robert Earl Keen

yellowbeta

I'm currently using a Sachtler pod(dv 8/100 head). It handles my DVCPro very well. Just don't get the base priced ground spreader. The one I had broke one month into service. Spend the extra for a off-ground heavy duty spreader. It will cost you a couple hundered more, but is very much worth it.

[ August 20, 2005, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: yellowbeta ]

Scannerhound

Gitzo Legs. O'connor head. My last setup like that lasted 12 years until I left the station 8 years ago. I wonder if they are still in service?

Dedline

Look into Miller tripods. In that price range you might be able to get a decent head with a good payload, plus sticks. Sorry I don't recall their site, its like millerusa or something like that. I generally like heads with plenty of payload capacity over the weight of our cam, even if it is a little heavier. I mean, what good is an extender without a good head?
I've seen some Millers on our local production trucks covering games and public events and they seem good for the money!

SmlMktChief

Gitzo legs and Miller head. Good combination and in your price range. Make sure you get the head that is rated for your cameras. Don't go to heavy (makes it too heavy to carry around) and, for sure don't go too light.

Gitzo legs are very reliable and rock solid. Miller heads are inexpensive and as long as the photogs don't abuse them the will last a long time.

We bought that combination 6 years ago and have only lost 1 head and replaced 2 legs on 1 tripod.

Sportsguy

Originally posted by SmlMktChief:
Gitzo legs are very reliable and rock solid. Miller heads are inexpensive and as long as the photogs don't abuse them the will last a long time.

We bought that combination 6 years ago and have only lost 1 head and replaced 2 legs on 1 tripod.
Or-

You could go with Sachtler heads and have them for close to 20 years...

SmlMktChief

But, you can't get Sachtler heads in his price range.
I was trying to give him suggestions in the price range he said he could work with.

I would love to have Sachtler heads and legs, but we can't afford them either.

Well - some good news - I think I am winning the battle and getting more money.(just a little more). So now I might be able to get the Gitzo legs and Sachtler head! It's better then the manfrotto tripods I inherited. Thanks for all the sugestions.

-Jimmy-

Call Gary Boyer at Imageware. He can give you all the details you want. He's a sharp fellow that helps me with pricing and info all the time.

830-849-8997

Status
Not open for further replies.