triggering recorders in free run?

Starman

Hi,

does anybody know if it's possible to trigger a recorder in free run without double punching both the record button on the camera AND the record button on your external recorder? I have an Atomos Samurai, Ninja and Nano Flash, but I have to set them to record trigger as "record button" instead of timecode in free run, otherwise, it will just keep recording, which makes sense. Not a huge deal, but just wondering if it was possible in any way or form. Thanks

Run&Gun

I know that at least in the case of the Nano and HDX-900(and probably tape VariCam) Macie Video used to be able to modify the camera to trigger the Nano to record from the zoom grip record button without the need for there to be a tape in the camera AND get in-veiwfinder tally light confirmation that the Nano was recording. I also just heard that Panasonic is no longer allowing them(MVS) to do that modification and the camera must be sent in to Panny for the mod.

Douglas

It depends a lot on the camera. All of the current XDCAMs and the F5/55 can all trigger recording via hidden signal in the HDSDI output that does not have anything to do with timecode. Use any timecode mode you want. You don't even have to have a card or disc in the camera to trigger recording on the external device.

Douglas

I'm not sure but I don't think so. It's been about three years since I sold my Nano and it is a distant memory now. I never needed to use it in that configuration even if it could do it. You better check with Convergent Design if you want the current information. Even if it couldn't do it before, they may have added it with a firmware update at some point. I use the Samurai now and record trigger works great with all the Atomos products.

Tv Shooter

Convergent makes a cable that goes between the lens and camera, pig tailing to the nano. It will trigger the nano. I have one, works fine.