Training New Guys

Hey all,

I have a few new guys that are pretty green and I wanted to see what the time line you give them from moving from VO's and VOSOT's to shooting packages. I am also looking for pointers and ideas of what you guys do to get people up to speed besides just have the go out and do it. Thanks for all of your help

phojorisin

start from the beginning

If they are brand new to shooting...I would start them off on composition. Steady, well composed shots. Once they get that right, have them learn sequencing. Wide, medium, tight, super tight. 3 shot, 5 shot, 10 shot, 20 shot sequences. Once they learn sequencing, it's good to get them thinking efficiently so they don't burn through tape and waste time in the edit bay. 4 to 1's like they do at the NPPA news video workshop are great drills. Shoot no more than 4 minutes of raw, and edit it down to a one minute story. This should be video only, with no audio. And the video should tell a story. I can go into more detail on those if you're not sure how they work, but i'll stop there for now.

Once they've got composition, sequencing and 4 to 1's down...they're ready for VO shooting. Show them how the lav works and how to compose and interview, and they're ready for VOSOTS. Before they shoot a package with a reporter or anything, I'd have them try a couple natpacks by themselves (not for air, unless they rock). This will teach them a lot about shooting a package. Mainly telling a good story, but also about working the mic, picking up nats, editing a package, etc. Then hopefully, they're ready and will learn the rest as they go.

That process should take a week to two weeks hopefully. But it's different for everybody, just depends on how quick they learn.

TexasDave

Make sure they hold shots for 10 seconds of steady broll. Teach them the basics of 3 point lighting. Have them re-edit a package. Give them the script, the raw tapes and have them re-edit the story. That way they will have a better understanding of story telling.

And have them watch other people's packages - either some good shooters at your shop or watch video's here on broll.

Maybe even have them shadow you on a story on a slow day. That way you can explain the steps you take in shooting a story.

But most of all, help them along with their mistakes. They are green, so they will make some errors. Green video, shaky shots - whatever it may be, talk to them and be sure they learn from their mistakes. And don't be upset when you see a mistake like that. I told my new guys the first 3 weeks, they are allowed to make a mistake - as long as they learned from it and made every attempt not to have it happen again.

To me, training new guys was an adventure. It was fun. I enjoyed it, but be patient. Good luck.

Cambot Mk. II

... I am also looking for pointers and ideas of what you guys do to get people up to speed besides just have the go out and do it. Thanks for all of your help
There's no shortcut there... Remember shop class? You could read about the tools all you wanted, but it didn't click until you actually made that spice rack. The first few pieces were crappy but you remembered and improved... With the shop teacher's constant critique. Guidance is the linchpin to making newbies succeed.

The key part of your job is to critique consistently and positively.

If your newbies do something wrong, make sure you show them everything else they did right and make clear goals for the improvement you want to see.

Document their progress as well... Pay attention to trends and work to correct them.

Also remember that you can't get everyone to be a good shooter.
Some people just won't get "it." Be prepared to separate the wheat from the chaff. Sometimes firing someone who won't learn can be the more merciful than just letting them struggle.

thru-the-lens

I have a couple of newer shooters that are watching the stories here on b-roll tv alot. I have seen improvement with framing shots, sequences, and creativity.

thru-the-lens.

Cambot Mk. II

Send them to the NPPA NewsVideo Workshop!
Well DUH!!! :p

BTW: I'm sure y'all planning a video tribute to Farkas at the Workshop this year... Could you post it here at B-Roll so the rest of us can see it?

I was at Workshop 46 in 2006 and I don't think the wife (or the budget) will let me go again so soon.

or you could train as my station trained me, sink or swim, within first 2 weeks sent to cut 2 pkgs on a tape to tape system I had never learned, and operate a live truck that I had no training on.