Toronto spot news.

canuckcam

So last year, Kirk sets up his sticks for a police pursuit on the 401 highway in Toronto, waiting for the cars to fly under him.

This is what he got.
http://www.philpang.com/media/401takedown.mov
(after watching the maneuver for the 6th time, you'll see the takedown.)

This guy wins the RTNDA international 'best videography' award, and two months later, wins the Canadian Society of Cinematographers' Roy Tash award. This guy beat out a guy who kept rolling while being shot at... :eek:

http://www.csc.ca/awards/2005/default.asp?load=img01

Toronto hotshots are getting more exciting now... just like 'em big American cities. :)

canuckcam

See Kirk, I told ya someone would figure it all out. Now lets talk about lighting and sequencing... for nat sound you really should've mic'd up the officer...

:)

hamcam

One in a million Kirk!! Great job! Congrats on the awards!

:cool: :D :cool:

BTW... does Kirk frequent b-roll??

Thanks for the nice comments...glad you guys liked it. I was at the right place at the right time that morning.... And yes I frequent b-roll, great place to learn from other shooters. Thanks for the e-mails HamCam lets keep in touch.

SeagateNews

Nice, Kirk...that was B-E-A-Utiful.

Now, as for the law enforcement side...I hate it when cops get awards for doing stupid a$s stuff. That car could have easily rolled or he could have been shot (shooting suspects) while he was in front of the car. Oh well...

canuckcam

Well, the thing was, they had to stop the car because there was traffic up ahead from a serious truck rollover. The driver would've kept on going, and would've hit and seriously injured or killed the emergency workers at the scene.

hamcam

Here's a question for all...

What tips do you have on anticipating the location of a chase errr PURSUIT to get such a shot or any for that matter?

Not that it happens here a whole bunch, local PD will only pursue for a short time before calling it off. Rarely is there any kind of high speed pursuits. Guess it means less death and destruction.

:cool: :confused: :cool:

canuckcam

The longest pursuit I've heard/seen lately here in Toronto was last week, they pursued a stolen vehicle at 12:30am from the south end of a Toronto 'burb to the north... going at ~120km/h, lasted about 10 minutes before they called it off as they got into a residential area. Then the cops just set up a perimeter and cruised the neighbourhood until they caught 'em... nothing as dramatic as Kirk's video.

The tip would just to try to anticipate the pursuit, listen to your scanners as you're driving and have your map handy. Or if you don't have scanners in your truck have your assignment editor listen to where Police may set up a road block and try to set yourself up there even though they still might not stop them but might make for good pictures.

Thats a tough one because usually chases (Police Pursuits) don't last long, not here in Canada anyways.....I guess depending on the situation...

That night that I shot that pursuit I was actually on the hwy 401 going to a shoot and heard it on my scanner. I noticed that it was coming my way but it was still far from where I was and could hear the pursuit was moving very fast. So I immediately went on the nearest overpass looking down on the hwy and set up my tripod. I thought even if they fly by me with screaming sirens it would still make for a good shot. As I put my camera on my tripod and turned it on I could see the red flashing lights from a distance and as the pursuit was coming over the hill the police actually tried to box the van in but the van got out of it and thats when the O.P.P (Ontario Provincial Police) took a chance by ramming him into the wall to stop him. Just a luck of the draw that the police took him down in front of me.

I hope that helps HamCam......