Top and Tails in FCP

AKinDC

In the Avid, there are buttons for a one touch top or tails edit:

The Top and Tail Buttons:

These buttons were brought over to Media Composer from Newscutter. They’re great for cutting down sequences of interviews especially. With no in point or out point, stop the blue timeline indicator anywhere in a sequence. Then if you hit the Top button, it essentially creates a macro that marks an in point at the top of the clip, marks an out point at the blue timeline indicator and then does an Extract (scissors). If you hit Tails instead, it marks an in point at the blue timeline indicator, an out point at the end of the clip and does an Extract. Using these two buttons, you can FLY through a rough cut, trimming your clips down to the proper length with a single click.

Is there any similar one click option in FCP?

Alx

X,I or O, Shift del

There are a couple of ways...

I like X I O.

"X" will select the clip, then "I" will mark an In point, then "Shift+delete" will delete the portion from the In point to the end of that clip, and everything on the timeline, after the selected clip, will slide over to fill the gap.

Use "O" to mark an out point, so that you delete the portion from the start of that clip, up to your out point.

must-c-tv

Yep - that's how you do it.

And, if you don't want to slide everything in the Timeline over (ie leave a hole for standup) just hit delete.

Very fast way to cut - especially reporter track.

AKinDC

Boy, I didn't know there were so many FCP apologists out there. :)

One keystroke is faster than three keystrokes no matter how you look at it. Thanks for the replies folks, but I'm getting that a one keystroke FCP top/tails isn't in the cards.