To build or not to build - that is the question

WarBird Dude

Hi all~!

OK, here's my goal: To build a component PC or laptop that will perform comparably to a GV Newsedit system. I'm looking to build a benchmark that will accept accept video via firewire/USB/DiscCam to for use here at home and to augment my tools out in the field at work.

My engineer's favorite line at work is 'it can't be done because you can't match the performance of all the propriatary hardware that the big companies use. I say 'bull crap'.

I want to build a system which doesn't have to rely on tape decks - just DVD recording and direct feed out. We currently use GV NewsEdit suites (ver 5.5) and none of them use anything upwards of a Pentium 3. I need to sit down and list each of the current components and do a comparison of performance and cost.

I'm just wondering what the best Editing program to use is. I'd consider Edius if it was relatively similar to it's GV cousin. I'm not that familiar with Adobe or AVID. The promo boys downstairs tell me that AVID is on the tedius side, but the end result is good.

Can anyone offer up some thoughts and suggestions? Thanks~!

WarBird

Necktie Boy

I see no problem building a PC for Editing. As you long have built or have a good idea what you want....As always, get the fastest CPU, most memory, video card, and hard drive that you can afford. If you plan to to HD video, you need a third party card to view HD. The only HD video that can be view via firewire is DVCPro HD. That is with the $20K deck or the $4K P2 unit. If you went Premiere Pro, you can get a card for $350 bucks that will play back HD Video.
I built my PC. The only downfall that I had, that I did not build it in mind for Avid. I have to get a avid approved video card and firewire card to get it going. But then, I have built all my PC comupter and have a good handle of troubleshooting problems that can happen.
Just do some research of what you need. You should be okay.

jeremycohn

I second Necktie Boy...as long as you know the specs that you need, you should be fine with building your own PC. In fact, I find it very rewarding.. I know exactly what's going into my computer. The only issue that I have with building my own computer is that if something breaks that I can't figure out, I'm not really able to take the computer into the shop and say, "Here, it's made by you guys.. so fix it".