Things the movies have taught me

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeattleShooter

I have had this list for four years wanting to type it out. So enjoy for 98% of it is true.

Things the movies have taught me.

During all police investigations it will be necessary to visit a strip club at least once.

All telephone numbers in America begin with the digits 555.

Most dogs are immortal.
If being chased through the town, you can usually take cover in a passing St. Patrick’s Day parade – any time of the year.

All beds have special L-shaped cover sheets that reach up to the armpit level on a women but only the waist level on the man lying beside her.

All grocery shopping bags contain at least on stick of French bread.

It’s easy for anyone to land a plane providing there is someone in the control tower to talk you down.

Once applied, lipstick will never rub off – even while scuba diving.

The ventilation system of any building is the perfect hiding place. No one will ever think of looking for you in there and you can travel to any other part of the building you want without difficulty.

If you need to reload your gun, you will always have more ammunition – even if you haven’t been carrying any before now.

You’re very likely to survive any battle in any war unless you make the mistake of showing someone a picture of your sweetheart back home.

Should you wish to pass yourself off as a German officer, it will not be necessary to speak the language. A German accent will do.

If an imminent natural disaster, or a killer beast threatens you town, the mayor’s first concern will be the tourist trade or his forthcoming art exhibition.

The Eiffel Tower can be seen from any window in Paris.

A man will show no pain while taking the most ferocious beating but will wince when a women tries to clean his wounds.

If a large pane of glass is visible, someone will be thrown through it before long.

When paying for a taxi, don’t look at your wallet as you take out a bill, just grab one at random and hand it over. It will always be the exact fare.

Interbreeding is genetically possible with any creature from elsewhere in the universe.

Kitchens don’t have light switches. When entering a kitchen at night, you should open the fridge door and use that light instead.

If staying in a haunted house, women should investigate any strange noises in the most revealing underwear.

Word processors never display a cursor on screen but will always say: Enter Password Now. (Passwords are always the name of dead children or lovers and are this easily circumvented.)

Mothers routinely cook eggs, bacon, and waffles for their family every morning even thought their husband and children never have time to eat it.

Cars that crash will almost always burst into flames. You can also make the tires squaw and squeal when turning corners even if you are on a dirt road.

The Chief of Police will always suspend his star detective – or give him 48 hours to finish the job.

A single match will be sufficient to light up a room the size of RFK Stadium.

Medieval peasants had perfect teeth. They also had nothing better to do then to stand by the roadside and answer questions put to them by passersby.

Although in the 20th century it is possible to fire weapons at an object out of our visual range, but people of the 23rd century will have lost this technology.

Any person waking from a nightmare will sit bolt upright and pant.

It is not necessary to say hello or goodbye when beginning or ending phone conversations.

Even when driving down a perfectly straight road it is necessary to turn the steering wheel vigorously from lest to right ever few moments.

All bombs are fitted with electronic timing devices with large red readouts so you know exactly when they’re going to go off.

It is always possible to park directly outside the building you are visiting.

A detective can only solve a case once he has been suspended from duty.

If you decide to start dancing in the street, everyone you bump into will know all the steps.
Most laptop computers are powerful enough to override the communication system of any invading alien civilization.

It does not matter if you are heavily outnumbered in a fight involving martial arts – your enemies will wait patiently to attack you one by one by dancing around in a threatening manner until you have knocked out their predecessors.

When a person is knocked unconscious by a blow to the head, they will never suffer a concussion or brain damage.

No one involved in a car chase, hijacking, explosion, volcanic eruption, or alien invasion will ever go into shock.

Police Departments give their officers personality tests to make sure they are deliberately assigned a partner who is their total opposite.

When they are alone, all foreigners prefer to speak English to each other.

You can always find a chainsaw when you need one.

Any lock can be picked by a credit card or a paper clip in seconds – unless it’s the door to a burning building with a child trapped inside.

An electric fence, powerful enough to kill a dinosaur, will cause no lasting damage to an eight-year-old child.

Television news bulletins usually contain a story that affects you personally at that precise moment.

If you are wearing a hat, it will NEVER fall off. Even if you get socked in the jaw, fall from a plane, or tumble down a set of stairs. And, if your hat should fall off, it will miraculously reappear on your head moments later.

If you loan your car keys or room key to a friend, they will be blown up by a bomb that was meant for you.

Never, ever go up to someone you have just shot to see if they are dead. They never are and will jump up and shoot you. You should always deliver a headshot to someone you’ve downed just to make sure.

If you hear ominous music playing, you are in some kind of danger and should leave the area immediately.

When driving your car at night, your face will appear to be illuminated by some kind of strange lighting system on the floorboard.

If someone says, “I’ll be back!” you should step away from any windows or doors.

You can get away with being sarcastic and witting without someone punching you in the face.

If someone peers over a newspaper at you in a bus station you should shoot them because they’re probably going to cause you trouble later.

It is possible to run away from an explosion.

If you jump off a building chances are you’ll land in a neatly stacked pile of cardboard boxes or a dump truck full of sawdust.

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
Although it's a vacuum, and sound needs a medium to travel through, explosions in Space still go BOOOM!

Your car will start just fine 30X in a row, except when you absolutely need it to.

Women can't lock or unlock a door to save their lives.

If you're a spy you can drink Martinis with no ill effect. You're also a master gambler. Corollary: smoking makes you run better.

When driving on sidewalks you'll always hit a Fruit cart.

nosticks

Nice post...and who said that movies don't teach us anything!

If you hear ominous music playing, you are in some kind of danger and should leave the area immediately
I knew there was a reason I get a bad feeling at the start of every newscast!

Sundowner

If you are going to retire tommorow, your a dead man.

The nice high school guy dating the nice high school girl is also a dead man. The nice girl will then hook up with the misunderstood delinqent.

texshooter

If you are ever in a gunfight, you had better hope you're the good guy. Bad guys are notoriously bad shots.

Sentinel94

If you hear ominous music playing, you are in some kind of danger and should leave the area immediately
-------------------------------

I knew there was a reason I get a bad feeling at the start of every newscast!
ROTFLMAO!!! :D

texshooter

Be careful of the guy holding the revolver. Even though you can see there are no bullets in the cylinder, the gun WILL still fire.

Don't drive down hills, up hills are OK, but not down. The bad guy has rigged your brakes to fail when you are coming back down the mountain.

Avoid ski slopes, there are always 20-30 bad guys on skis waiting to chase you while shooting at you.

If you are being chased down a mountain road, just wait for the carload of henchmen to pull up along side you, then slam on the brakes. They'll fly right past you, and go over the cliff. If they were too stupid to have rigged your brakes in advance, they will never see that one coming.

If you are ever in a dogfight, hope the other pilot is one of the henchmen from the same crew as the above car. Drop your flaps and landing gear, he will never anticipate that maneuver, allowing you to get a clean missle shot.

If you are anticipating a gunfight, always carry a variety of ammo, .45ACP, 9MM, .223 and 7.62 Russian. That way, you will have reloads for every 1911A1, Beretta 92FS, M16 and AK47 your dead opponents might drop.

Don't worry if you piss off your girlfriend with your cocky attitude, she WILL be back, after you solve your life crises, get over the death of your best friend and kill the bad guys.

Watch out for Mercedes sedans with tinted windows, they all carry henchmen with machine guns.

[ June 26, 2004, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: texshooter ]

r.manuel

Don't be a bad guy what ever you do! Bad guys never win! No matter how well thought out their evil scheme, nor how great their army of goons. Instead they'll be defeated by some jerk just coming out of a failed marriage, who's girlfriend from the prequel must have died, is overcoming the death of a partner of some sort--other than the girlfriend aforementioned-- and is now possibly dealing with some level of substance abuse, has a sever temper problem he/she is managing by being smug and sarcastic to everyone around them. WAIT! Sorry, I'm thinking of most ND's

[ June 26, 2004, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: r.manuel ]

PhrozenPhoto

Really bad movies about TV news have taught me that I really don't need to raise a mast, tune in a live shot or even use cables between the camera and truck... just pull up, flip on the top light count down from 3, point at the bimbo who has enough silicon in her to power a laptop and PRESTO.... you're on LIVE TEEVEE! Watch that really stupid Michelle Pfiffer/Robert Redford movie and ask yourself how her big break, her live shots from INSIDE the prison could have even happened when they didn't have any kind of cable out to their truck... I know the middle parts of the job aren't glorious, but damn, at least TRY to make it realistic, like Groundhog Day!

SeattleShooter

Originally posted by KCPhotog:
I know the middle parts of the job aren't glorious, but damn, at least TRY to make it realistic, like Groundhog Day!
Correct me if I am wrong, but in Groundhog Day did the photographer try and fix the trucks motor??? How realistic is that? But I get your point.

Shaky & Blue

Originally posted by SeattleShooter:
Correct me if I am wrong, but in Groundhog Day did the photographer try and fix the trucks motor??? How realistic is that?
It depends on the shop. I've seen photographers under their hoods with tools, trying to get their dead trucks and microwave trucks running. Even when you realize it shouldn't be your responsibility to do that, if you have the knowledge and it's a small enough problem, it's sometimes easier to fix it yourself than deal with the untrained deskie who won't call the tow truck or give you the number for the station's towing contract until he first consults with a producer to figure out how the problem will impact her show, then talks to the chief or ops manager to find out what to do, then forgets to call the truck in the excitement over some car wreck that comes across the scanner across town.

[ June 28, 2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Shaky & Blue ]

M

<macgyver>

If you are going where "no man has gone before" don't wear a red shirt, you will be kiled within a few moments. :D

E

<elvez>

the good guy' butts are always shaved.
yeah, i know. You guys notice too. admit it.

Bobcat

This was covered in the original post but it is something I have learned, take to heart, and always spout at my friend about is:

"Always make sure what you kill is DEAD!!"
Only get near it if your intent is to kill it some more, and never turn your back on it until you are sure it is dead. If it is something that has plagued you for the last 1hr 20min get some aggression out and keep killing it.

Especially keep this in mind if your life has suddenly taken a turn towards the weird. ie. Best friends stare at you blankly and don't respond, there are suddenly a bunch of teenage virgins around you, people you saw die are walking around (no it's not a miracle, run. or shoot them in the head) But most importantly if it is different it must die.

Don't get me started on how TV news crews are protrayed in the movies and even on TV shows. When the photographer is holding the camera by the top handle while shooting is ridiculous! The reporter going live instantly on the spot without cable runs or mast raising. "Up Close and Personal" is the most heinous example. I actually had an intern that said that was her favorite movie! The only realistic TV News movie I have seen is "The China Syndrome", there are some cheesey moments and it was the film era, but they had field producers and there was actually a cable run for the crew to do in the final showdown at the power plant. Now most movies and TV shows that feature TV News Crews are comedies or feature type stories. I would love to see a show that got it right, like a reality show on TV news. Talk about DRAMA!

M

<macgyver>

What's worse is that over used line "we're here, live on the scene" while chasing down the person you are trying to interview.

BluesDaddy

Even as he is about to kill you, the villian will always take the time to describe his whole evil scheme to you... giving you the chance to plot your escape.

D.St.

In a lot of space movies, it doesn't seem to matter which planet in the universe you're on, the conditions will almost always be suitable enough for humans to walk around in street clothes.

Here's my rub with time travel movies. There are all sorts of these movies with the main character going into the future to visit his or herself how ever many years later. However, in the event you are able to jump to the future instantaneously, you wouldn't be able to meet yourself. Your physical form would have been absent in the time between your leaving the past and arriving the in future. Therefore, you wouldn't be able to see yourself as you may appear x-amount of years in the future.

Here's my last rub, and this involves sports movies. Whenever any team is going for a climactic championship, they never beat the bejeezus out of their opponent. They always wait until the final play to seal their victory.

[ June 28, 2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: D.St. ]

Status
Not open for further replies.