ta ta today reporter

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

<thanks>

does anyone have any advice/nice way to put it/special rememdy/ to get your reporter to speed things up a bit.

i'm mostly talking writing the package time. interviews are never to long, either is log time, but on a consistent basis we arrive back at the station say 7, were lucky if script is in hand by 9:30.

it usually takes just as long to log as it does for us to dump in the video, so those times cancel eachother out most nights, but two hours compared to half hour.

i work in mid markets, so reporters have multiple years of experience, but what the hell is taking so long. if we have to bang out a package in a half hour or less everynight why cant you?

so is this a problem to bring to the nd or the reporter or both, or just suck it up it gets worse.

L

<listen to this>

Sometimes we are done shooting the pkg by 10:00am and I get the script about 5:15pm. The reporter spends most of the day on the internet looking at stock quotes and just looking around. I have asked several times to get a move on but he doesn't seem to get it.

mattyboy

i used to have a reporter who would take forever to write their story. as time passed, i finally asked the reporter why they were taking so long. the reporter responded that they could take more time writing the piece because they knew i could get it done. while i was happy they thought i could get it done, i told the reporter that with some more time i could make them and me look a lot better. seemed to resolve the problem rather easily.

JTFCM

Band Together!

If being nice like Mattyboy doesn't work, talk to your other shooters and editors and make sure his/her packages look like total $h1t. I have a reporter like that and thats what we try do....he/she basically works with only one shooter now, the one that won't cooperate with the rest of the shooters.

The only bad side is that this piece of LensMeat will never move on because there is nothing for a resume tape. oh well.

Z

<zagg>

Yell at them a lot. Berade them as much as possible. Let them know that taking all of that time makes them look bad, it makes you look bad, and most of all no one wants to work with them any more. If they've got a couple of years experience in writing packages then they should know how to do the damn story. Or just read Cat in the Hat

Buck

Reporters will never hurry to get their stories written because they don't want to get sent out on another story.

FastFord

Or,,, you could drag your heels, and miss your slot, and blame the slack a$$ reporter for waiting untill the last minute to give it to you...

W

<whuzkid>

yeah, b/c that's professional. don't we get paid to do our best, regardless of the bull****?

suck it up. I'd rather my pkg not look it's best than miss slot.

SamG

"The amount of time it takes to complete a project is directly proportional to the amount of time available to complete the project."

In other words, if you have 2 hours to edit (or write) a story, it will take you 2 hours. If you have 10 minutes to edit (or write) the same story, it will take you 10 minutes.

:)

rusticrub

have your story floated...then go to the QC meeting after the show. tell them it floated because you got the voice/script late. that should do the trick

Status
Not open for further replies.