SX Tape Passes

I got into a "heated" discussion about how many passes should be put on SX tape before they are removed from service. This started me thinking that I should find out what other SX users do.
So if you would take a minute and respond to this message it would be great. A tape pass is both recording and playback. Many thanks.

1911A1

I still have a few tapes from 1999 and 2000 in service. They've had no telling how many passes on them and I don't see a difference between them and brand new tapes.

I've only had to discard a handful of SX tapes over the last six years (a dozen or less?), mainly due to tape creases and/or dropout issues.

Your mileage may vary.

Busabomb

Ya I must agree with the last poster, I still have tapes in service from `99. Only god knows how many passes are on those tapes...but they keep working, so they keep not replacing them...lol Go figure.

Salty Dog

Same here. Tapes from '99. They were used in my SP cam, then in my SX and are still going strong.

amp

SX tapes hold up very, very well. I left a station 5 years ago that uses SX, and they still have a few of my tapes in circulation.

El Guapo

I've been using the same SX tapes for about 2 years. I've yet to have a single glitch or problem with any of them. My camera hasn't been misbehaving either. The first sign of even the slightest problem though...and they're trash.

Thanks for the input. FYI Sony recommends 100 passes - Repair facilities, non Sony, say 250 to 300 before tape will effect heads. First sign of wear is tape stretch, which shows up as digitizing.
Thanks again!