Summertime Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLt

With the summer hoilday season kicking off, which leaves us all short bodies, I thought it might be a good idea to can some evergreen type paks that could fill holes in the rundown left by vacationing reporters/anchors/photogs. I'd like these to be more human interest than infomercial.
We've been over all the basic summer stuff, (pools, leagues, heat) Anything you've seen or done in your market that may be a little different? I know this is probably a dumb question for a message board, but I've been Chief in this market a long time. With all the distractions involved, I just may be missing easy stuff. Any ideas?

ABC Chief

Guys in our area of the southeast, I have done packages on all sorts of tourism, that has a long shelf life, maybe some summer sports leagues try the YMCA for a activity type story kids hoops, double dutch down here just wrapped up. That kind of urban kids out of school feature. Those story's have legs and can be easily followed up on. Also maybe a summer theatre feature piece. Marching band season will be starting soon in the Northeast. Try hooking up with a couple schools as they prepare for parade season. Outdoors try fishing, or camping know how's, sunscreen protection, or newest insect protection items. That might take the sting out of a boring newscast. That's just a couple quickies that might help you out. Good luck.

El Guapo

How about local day camps for kids? Also, i've always wanted to do a story on an old man sitting on his porch during the summer, talking about his day. What he does, sees, etc. I guess i've never done it because i can't think of any news value or narrative to pitch to an EP or ND.
I wasn't really helpful at all, was I?

LongTimePhotog

Check out the local Italian Club...they play bocci(sp) ball. I shot a piece once on that topic and it was a hoot. Got lots of calls about it. Also, look for horseshoe clubs...lot's of nats and characters that play that game.

LowLt

That's all good stuff, thanks. And to Big Macro, don't sell it, shoot it and "wow" them. I love that old guy on the porch idea. Horseshoe clubs? I'll have to find one of those.
Again, as always, thanks guys.

JacobA

I live in a fairly small city and thought it was cool when I saw a story on people from out of town that were on a one-day bus tour of our city.

Birdy

I realize you may have done some of these, but...

kids fishing tournaments
jr. swim team (kids as young as 4 & 5)
street theatre/performers
re-enactors (the lifestyle, not the event)
lightning bugs & kids/butterflys & kids
the local skatepark
sunglasses (function vs. style vs. price)
hot industrial jobs in the heat (ex. iron worker)
construction workers
flea market people
summer library programs
through the eyes of a carnival worker
summer school
follow a church's short-term mission trip
drive-in movies (if you can find one)
people moving/changing schools

Status
Not open for further replies.