Stand-alone DVD recorder (need recommendations)

Baltimore Shooter

I need recommendations for a stand-alone DVD recorder to output client's projects from Final Cut to DVD, much the same way we would if we were outputting to VHS.

Sure, I could do it on the Mac, but the DVD burner included in the Mac is sloooowwww so I'm looking for a stand-alone DVD recorder (not a separate drive) w/ a Firewire input as well as the typical S-Video and RCA inputs.

Any recommendations?

Warren

way kool productions

How long is your project?? Could it be the encoding that is taking so long. My experince would say stick with the mac, with iDVD you could make a nice menu, with the stand alone burner, I'm not sure.

Necktie Boy

Hi Warren,
I think any DVD Recorder by Sony, Philips, or any other maker would be fine. I have a older Philps with component in. I do what you want to do. I would make should it has a firewire port. I always have been using the firewire for dubs. If you have the time, laid it to tape(DV/DVCam), then I use the firewired into the DVD Recorder. I don't have to worry about audio levels since the recorder doesn't have meters. Fuuny, I have never used the analog inputs for recording. There is a Sony combo with a DVD Recorder and VHS recorder, and with a firewire port. I don't know off hand if you could go direct from FCP via firewire to the DVD Recorder? I know that Sony's talk via firewire when you use a Sony camera and recorder.

shoot da parrot

I have a JVC SR-MV45 that has firewire input. It is a bit pricey though. I'm not sure how to set FCP to output to it however.

shoot da parrot

I just switched some settings around in FCP's audio/video settings and it outputs and records into the SR-MV45 beatuifully. I think JVC might have some chepaer models with firewire capability. Good Luck.

Baltimore Shooter

I just switched some settings around in FCP's audio/video settings and it outputs and records into the SR-MV45 beatuifully. I think JVC might have some chepaer models with firewire capability. Good Luck.
Thanks Shoot. What setting did you change and what did you change them too? I bought an LG recorder last night (forget the model right now). We'll see how well it works.

Warren

EDIT: The model # of the LG recorder is Dr787T

Last edited:

Necktie Boy

Hi Warren,
With my DVD Recorder, I didn't have to change any setting to output audio/video via the firewire. I'm using Premiere Pro(Premiere 7). Yo may not have to do anything in FCP...If you do, change the deck settings to non-controllable.

Run 'n' Get 'em

Isn't it the same theory as "print to tape" via firewire... Tell it roll x seconds of black at the front and in that time you hit record, no?

shoot da parrot

Yes, print to tape via firewire. All my stuff was pre-set to print to tape through my AJA. good luck. I still find I get a better product exporting as 2 pass VBR with compressor and burning in DVD Studio Pro. I notice the recorder stuggled a bit with jitter durring fast motion in the frame. But if time is the issue this is a great work around.

McFly

I bought a DVD duplicator from Discmakers. 7 drivers... 700 or so bucks. Knock out about 50 DVDs in an hour.

Not sure if that helps, but figured I would throw it out there.

shoot da parrot

I bought a Pico too. I love it, can't beat it for the money. But it's simply a duplicator it doesn't have firewire input.

as for print to tape, make sure your settings are all on DV before you print to tape. I just tried sending some HD stuff through for a windowburn and the quality is pretty crappy.

Run 'n' Get 'em

but don't let it try to do deck control, at least with your best buy level dvd recorders... fcp on my old g4 would crash if i let it try...

hey s-d-p... how are those doctors treatin ya?

BluesCam

I have a Panasonic that will allow selecting the length of recording. That allows a very high data rate and results in a great looking picture.

hunt tv

We use the SONY VRD-VC20 with firewire/S video/USB/Composite inputs.. You can hook it up to your camera or deck and it works great. Video in only. Will not play out but it is self contained and very portable. Frees up the computer so you can work on other things as it burns away. Take it on the road and bang out raw copies of tape for review. Love it.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1840461,00.asp

Keith