Sony 700/800 LCD

tschelle

Just got a new camera. Moving from PDW-530 to PDW-F800. I'm still working my way through Douglas' book. The first thing I notice is the LCD resolution is terrible. It looks incredibly soft, while the PDW-530 LCD looked pretty good. Is this normal? I've used the 700, and the LCD looked bad too. I was hoping our F800 LCD would be better, but it is not. I know that I shouldn't use the LCD for anything critical, but the poor resolution screws up my eyes; I feel like I'm looking through a bad diopter.

Thanks
Ted

Flaca Productions

i just got an 800 as well and compared to my 510, it's pretty bad. the 800 data display is nice, but using the screen as any sort of a "viewfinder" is pretty hard.

it's not just you....

tschelle

The LCD is ugly. I'm disappointed in Sony. The SD PDW-530 had a very high quality resolution. It's a shame that the High Definition output is lower quality than the 530's Standard Resolution. I would expect higher quality from a HD camcorder, but the SD 530 has a better picture quality.... I was really hoping someone had a fix for this, and it wasn't user error.

tschelle

530 Standard Def

The resolution on the PDW-530 LCD screen was very clear. It wasn't until the HD cameras that the LCD resolution sucked. And sucked really bad.

Ruff

Yes, the LCD is an absolute joke. I find it to be insulting from Sony to put such a crappy monitor on such an expensive camera.

Sony has so many good small cheap LCD screens on other, cheaper products. It really made me question why I was paying so much for their top tier products.

I have owned a 700 since it was released. It does the job well, but that LCD really annoys me.

(Sony always cripples their cameras with one or two really annoying lack of features...I just bought another camera... it was not a Sony).

tschelle

Well, that's disappointing, but thanks for confirming. I was hoping there was some setting I was missing.

Run&Gun

Don't feel too bad, Panasonic did the same thing with their big P2 cameras... My 2700 has a list price of about $40K and the on-board LCD isn't 1/10 as good as the LCD on my 5DmkII or my girlfriends sub-$1K 60D or my iPhone or my iPod or... Do I need to go on? To call it bad is an understatement. But they'll turn around and put an LCD on a "cheap" little cam that almost rivals a $3K stand alone monitor...

eugalc

Others have confirmed it, but just to add on, the 700 does have a really bad LCD monitor. Heck, the EX1 and EX3, which are great little cameras, has a far superior LCD screens.