SCRIMS SILKS ETC.

So I am once again shopping for gear for a upcoming job and am looking to add a couple of silks and black scrim to my kit. In the past I have used photo flex and wescott and never been overly wowed by either. They both have points I liked and points I didn't. Can anybody recommend any other builds to check out.

In the past I believe I have even seen somebody build their own out of speed rail. Which wins definite points for durability. Point is I am open to dialog lets have at it.

Run&Gun

I use Chimera collapsable frames and their fabrics. The frames are aluminum poles held together with bungee cord material run through them like tent poles. It's all 'captive', so you can't lose any of the frame parts. I have several 4'x4' and 6x6' frames. They break down to basically half their assembled length. The only real negative about the Chimera system is that the materials attach to the frames with sewn on elastic straps on the corners and eventually it all starts to get stretched and in decent winds the material can move A LOT. Depending on how close the silk is, it can blow into the shot. Some people like the Scrim Jim system. I've never used it, but haven't really heard many complaints, either.

I but haven't really heard many complaints, either.
My main beefs with the scrim jim system are the gauge of the aluminum parts and the plastic corners. I seem to recall hearing that they don't take being blown over well. Which can be a concern here no matter how much sand you put on the c-stands there are several times a year here in Dallas where Fifty plus MPH wind/ gusts are to be expected.

Run&Gun

I've had the metal corners break on the Chimeras, too. I think that may be a problem with all of the lighter weight stuff, the attached c-stands weight on the frames is probably what causes the damage when they fall over.

Thanks for the info, I thought the scrim Jim frames were all the same material.

I've had the metal corners break on the Chimeras, too. I think that may be a problem with all of the lighter weight stuff, the attached c-stands weight on the frames is probably what causes the damage when they fall over.

Thanks for the info, I thought the scrim Jim frames were all the same material.
they are if you mean the parts are the same on all the models. Basic 1/2 or 3/4 inch.. ish square aluminum. The corners and joints are some kind of ABS type plastic.

Focused

Alzo makes a pretty durable collapsable unit. Its self contained with shock cord and the tubes are round extruded aluminum with a heavycoat of paint on it. Ive used it a few times and like the durability. Its not quite a 4x4 but pretty close.

Ok so after much debate I am probably going to go the speed rail/Matthews type frame route. I like the idea of building a more customizable frame to more standardized dimensions and being able to swap in both smaller and larger silks depending on how I layout the setup.

So let me redirect the thread. Does anybody have strong feelings on square vs round rods? I was looking at buying some bulk silk from ALZO. I am planning to tape the outside seam and install grommets with bungie cords to float it in the completed frame and pull the silk tight.

similar to this.
http://www.cinemagadgets.com/productdetail/3129

I would also like to purchase bulk black net somewhere to see how it works. Can anybody in the brain trust recommend a source/ material. Do most companies just use plane old sharkestooth scrim or something entirely different. Does it even matter or will the wrong stuff cause moire?

the main difference for me is I would like the option to mount the standard film type silks linked above. And have several sizes of black net and silk to choose from depending on the shoot and what I am doing.

Here is the official Matthews sets as well as the much cheaper speed rail option.

http://www.filmandvideolighting.com/macocoeaandh.html

http://www.buyrailings.com/c-39-hollaender-speed-railings.aspx

Here is the alternate option with square tubbing.

http://www.filmandvideolighting.com/8x8and12ovbu.html

Necktie Boy

If you are going to NAB, Matthews usually has a discount if you purchase items. I have been doing that for years.