Sat Truck Training

I'm looking to get some more training. I've ran Sat for my station a few times, it's been sort of a sink or swim situation here. I was sent to cover the Steve Fosset Search 5 hours away in Mammoth Lakes for my first solo Sat shot and pulled it off with no problems. I get the idea of what I need to do and how to do it, but i'd like to know more so WHEN something goes wrong I can try to work around/fix it. It took a year for my station to finally give up enough time to semi train me, so any help would be great! Thanks.

David R. Busse

Matt:
You should have knocked on my door. I was parked in that same parking lot at Mammoth Lakes.

Break down your truck into the following subsystems:

1. Power (generator, shore power)
2. The racks--audio mixers, video switcher(s).
3. Edit Gear
4. Communications (phones, radios, etc) and IFB.
5. Satellite antenna and controller
6. Satellite Uplink (encoder, exciter, etc)

Study each of these systems and understand how they work, how they are connected and what may go wrong with them.

For example, what if your antenna fails in the "up" position? Have you learned how to manually stow it? Know how to switch the antenna polarity if the electronic switch fails? Do you have flexible wave guides on the antenna? Have your engineers show you where those are and discuss what to do if there's a failure.

In the racks, do you know how to get quick access to the backs of the racks? It's quite common to drive a truck for several hours to a news scene and suddenly find, upon arrival, that half the stuff in the racks won't fire up. 95% of the time, power cables into the various components have wiggled loose in transit and you need to know what they look like and how to check them and plug them in.

Do you have any idea of what to do if your generator fails? Do you carry a power cable/adapter to plug into an outside power source? You'll probably need a 30-amp circuit to run your truck...any idea of where to find one (hint: think "commercial buildings"). Most of us with big trucks have excess generator capacity and yes, I have a 30-amp circuit off my truck that can easily power another, and yes, in a pinch, I've helped others having bad days by letting them plug into my power source. Getting to know your fellow sat truck operators is not only a fun way to meet new friends, but it may very well save your butt someday.

I could go on and on. But the easiest way to troubleshoot is to study each individual system in the truck and examine causes of failure and possible solutions. Play around with the encoder. Study the manuals for everything--that can be a chore, since most of them are so poorly written.

And remember, the only surprise in uplinking is when there is no surprise, so this preparation will be time well spent.

Matt:
You should have knocked on my door. I was parked in that same parking lot at Mammoth Lakes.

Break down your truck into the following subsystems:

1. Power (generator, shore power)
2. The racks--audio mixers, video switcher(s).
3. Edit Gear
4. Communications (phones, radios, etc) and IFB.
5. Satellite antenna and controller
6. Satellite Uplink (encoder, exciter, etc)

Study each of these systems and understand how they work, how they are connected and what may go wrong with them.

For example, what if your antenna fails in the "up" position? Have you learned how to manually stow it? Know how to switch the antenna polarity if the electronic switch fails? Do you have flexible wave guides on the antenna? Have your engineers show you where those are and discuss what to do if there's a failure.

In the racks, do you know how to get quick access to the backs of the racks? It's quite common to drive a truck for several hours to a news scene and suddenly find, upon arrival, that half the stuff in the racks won't fire up. 95% of the time, power cables into the various components have wiggled loose in transit and you need to know what they look like and how to check them and plug them in.

Do you have any idea of what to do if your generator fails? Do you carry a power cable/adapter to plug into an outside power source? You'll probably need a 30-amp circuit to run your truck...any idea of where to find one (hint: think "commercial buildings"). Most of us with big trucks have excess generator capacity and yes, I have a 30-amp circuit off my truck that can easily power another, and yes, in a pinch, I've helped others having bad days by letting them plug into my power source. Getting to know your fellow sat truck operators is not only a fun way to meet new friends, but it may very well save your butt someday.

I could go on and on. But the easiest way to troubleshoot is to study each individual system in the truck and examine causes of failure and possible solutions. Play around with the encoder. Study the manuals for everything--that can be a chore, since most of them are so poorly written.

And remember, the only surprise in uplinking is when there is no surprise, so this preparation will be time well spent.
That's def some good advice there, but I've been shooting and running the microwave trucks for a few years now. It's the Sat stuff that i'm having a hard time learning about. Vertical, horizontal, polarity, there's so much more to it than the few steps they've walked me through to just be able to get up on Galaxy 16. They aren't very good at training, but reading the manuals would def be a good idea. We haven't upgraded to the GPS guided systems so we have to find the bird manually (which I hear is a good place to start).

When I call and the op is tuning me in and they ask me a question about something that isn't on my list, half the time I just say what?

If I wanted to practice tuning other satellites, is that even something I can do? Finding them, or the general area has been pretty easy for me, but unless I know that it's supposed to look like on my scope, i have no way of knowing if it is for sure the right one.

When they trained me the first time we just started plugging in the downlinks for newspath (we're CBS) and that's how I knew if I had the right satellite. I really just want to get some more experience and actually be a sat op, not just follow the steps I was told to follow. Does that paint a better picture?

...and it's funny you mention knocking on your door. The first night we got there I went over and bugged Jeff Foss who was there for the Reno CBS and he was able to help me out. Sometimes the downlink doesn't work because we have such a small dish. Of course no one told me this until I got back 3 days later...

David R. Busse

That's def some good advice there, but I've been shooting and running the microwave trucks for a few years now. It's the Sat stuff that i'm having a hard time learning about. Vertical, horizontal, polarity, there's so much more to it than the few steps they've walked me through to just be able to get up on Galaxy 16. They aren't very good at training, but reading the manuals would def be a good idea. We haven't upgraded to the GPS guided systems so we have to find the bird manually (which I hear is a good place to start).

When I call and the op is tuning me in and they ask me a question about something that isn't on my list, half the time I just say what?

If I wanted to practice tuning other satellites, is that even something I can do? Finding them, or the general area has been pretty easy for me, but unless I know that it's supposed to look like on my scope, i have no way of knowing if it is for sure the right one.

When they trained me the first time we just started plugging in the downlinks for newspath (we're CBS) and that's how I knew if I had the right satellite. I really just want to get some more experience and actually be a sat op, not just follow the steps I was told to follow. Does that paint a better picture?

...and it's funny you mention knocking on your door. The first night we got there I went over and bugged Jeff Foss who was there for the Reno CBS and he was able to help me out. Sometimes the downlink doesn't work because we have such a small dish. Of course no one told me this until I got back 3 days later...
Your microwave experience puts you way ahead of the game in most cases. Keep in mind that SNG work takes you to the boondocks, where cellphones may not always be dependable. In our trucks, the sat cells are a crapshoot, too. You may have to learn some very creative ways to make IFB happen. Do you have a working knowledge of how to hook up hard-line phones to your truck...or do you have portable cellphones available for more than one carrier? That's why you might want to study your IFB systems and see what you can do if your standard IFB system suddenly doesn't work where you are set up. It will happen.

Polarity goes like this.

Imagine that you are in the middle of the United States, say, Illinois. And DIRECTLY to your southern position is the satellite that you want to access,

Now imagine that your signal to that satellite is in the shape of a "+" sign...the vertical part perfectly vertical and the horizontal part perfectly horizontal.

Each satellite has such a "sweet spot" relative to it's position in the arc...where the vertical is perfectly vertical and the horizontal is perfectly horizontal.

And I'm 99.9 percent sure you and your truck will never be anywhere that "sweet spot" on earth.

That's why we can adjust the polarity in the antenna...rotating that "+" shaped signal a little to the left or a little to the right. Assuming you are always on the same bird in the same general area, say, within 100 miles of Fresno, you probably don't have to tweak that polarity much (they'll tell you to "bump your pole" when it's off a bit). If you move to another satellite or move a long way from your home turf, then be prepared to adjust the polarity a bit.

Now how do you know when your polarity is dead on the money? If you are way off, you'll see many of the same signals in your spectrum monitor on both sides--horizontal and vertical. Start turning that polarity and, as you fine tune, signals on horizontal will disappear from both sides and only show up on vertical, and vice versa. When the satellite center wants you to adjust polarity, it's because you have powered up and are slopping over onto the other polarity.

Complicated? I could show you and give you a five-minute lesson in person, and it would probably make mors sense.

Re: small dish...in the world of satellite electronics and dishes, bigger is better, especially on the receive end. Rain and bad storms cause attenuation (rain fade) and it is quite common to lose your receive signal in bad storms (I had that problem at Mammoth). When you lose your return, simply call the sat center and ask them what they see. You're probably OK.

Yingdog

Matt, I am also in fresno, at the NBC, and was recently trained on the sat truck. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, or better, John C. here at KSEE. He is pretty knowledgable, and Dirk knows quite a bit too. I know what it is like trying to get training though, it took about two years of beggin to get some training. I'll look for you out there.

Ying

SamG

Learning to find the satellites is a big key. You've got the right idea... dial in something you know into your receiver and when it locks, you're on the right satellite. In the analog world, you could see the signal on your analyzer, dial that frequency into the receiver and hopefully see a slate or a bug to identify the signal. Because of the variations of digital, you can't do that... you'll see the signal, but unless you know the data and/or symbol rate (depending on your RX), you can't exactly "blind search".

If you have internet capability, go to www.lyngsat.com. Click on "Americas" for Frequency and you get a list of all the satellites. Click into the satellite and you'll get a list of things that are always on. Pay attention to what's C-band and what's Ku.

We also have a subscription to the "Satellite Transponder Guide". A very thick book that does what lyngsat does and gets updated about 6 times a year. It's a couple hundred dollars a year subscription though. Great to have in the truck.

David R. Busse

Learning to find the satellites is a big key. You've got the right idea... dial in something you know into your receiver and when it locks, you're on the right satellite. In the analog world, you could see the signal on your analyzer, dial that frequency into the receiver and hopefully see a slate or a bug to identify the signal. Because of the variations of digital, you can't do that... you'll see the signal, but unless you know the data and/or symbol rate (depending on your RX), you can't exactly "blind search".

If you have internet capability, go to www.lyngsat.com. Click on "Americas" for Frequency and you get a list of all the satellites. Click into the satellite and you'll get a list of things that are always on. Pay attention to what's C-band and what's Ku.

We also have a subscription to the "Satellite Transponder Guide". A very thick book that does what lyngsat does and gets updated about 6 times a year. It's a couple hundred dollars a year subscription though. Great to have in the truck.
Here's a simple way to identify many satellites without the challenge of matching digital parameters to actually see a signal...telemetry beacons, or "t.b." signals. In your satellite guide, you'll find listings for where the telemetry beacons are on each side (horizontal and vertical) of each satellite. They look like a straight, un-modulated signal on your spectrum monitor. Just knowing the frequency of a satellite's t.b. on horizontal and vertical is a way to be 99 percent sure what your are looking at.

Years ago, when I was just starting out in SNG, I was up on the old Telstar 4 at some ungodly hour, and called the old control center in Hawley, PA to adjust power. There was nothing going on at the time and the technician on the bridge spent about ten minutes on the phone with me, essentially walking me down both sides of that satellite's Ku spectrum, telling me what each signal was--everything from X-rated TV feeds to Vsats (very small aperature terminals) transmitting credit card data from gas stations as well as oli well logging data from drilling rigs. It was a fascinating lesson and really made me understand how important it was to make damn sure my frequency and polarity settings were accurate before powering up.

LenzCzAll

I have been operating a sat truck on almost a daily basis for 8 years now and I still consider myself a novice. That being said, I have not had any problems trouble shooting any issues that have come up with either of our sat trucks. However, I do believe ( and I know some will disagree) that not EVERY photog can learn a sat truck. Between myself and our chief engineer, we have tried to train other photogs, but they just don't seem to grasp it. Bottom line some people just aren't technically inclined. I can tell that Mr Busse has been doing longer than I and he would know better.

Silverado61

Matt,

One thing that I did when I started operating the truck, and this helped me out alot. When I had time I would go out to the truck, put the dish up and find sattelites and see what their "footprint" was on our spectrum analyzer. I also got used to finding a "home" sattelite, one that I used alot. Because once you find one you can pretty much find them all, it takes time. I work for an ABC affiliate and we use ABSAT alot and one thing that they were pretty good about was allowing us to do "test" windows. I didn't do it during peak times obviously but they gave us a couple of windows to get used to the process of accessing sat's and the whole process. it's one thing to find a satellite it's a whole other thing to go thru the uplink process..

like one of the other posters wrote, finding the satellite is half of the battle.

We have tried to train a couple of photographers and they wanted to have nothing to do with after a couple of training sessions. Most of our photographers are the same way, they don't want to learn anything about the truck.

Good Luck and just make sure you are on the right sat before you access.

Last edited:
finding the bird

I've always been able to find it the sattelites pretty easy, there are just always 2-3 in a row and it took some practice to remember which one I'm looking for. I took a pic with my cell phone and I use it for reference. The thing that made training easy was newspath is always on, so I just looked for the little hump and a spike and I knew I was there.

I think I've got it down for the most part, I just need to get a few more shots under my belt before I start to feel solid. I see a little more of a future for me in this industry as a Photog/Sat Op, compared to say a one man band. Me no talk so good....or look pretty enough to be on camera.

I was hoping there was like a class or something that I could take, but it sounds like I just need to get out there and keep at it.

pixlmgr

Learning Sat stuff

I have found a couple of helpful websites that have spectrum monitor pictures, and some of the really obvious and constant identifiers, like the spikes on AMC-9 an AMC-1, the pyramid on Galaxy 3c or my favorite "Batman" on Galaxy 25.

"http://www.upfrontfotos.com/satellites/index.html"
is one I printed off , another one is
"http://www.coastalmediagroup.com/satwave.html"

just going out and practicing is the most important thing though.

Good Luck
Butch Henderson
Photog/Sat Truck Op
KCPQ-TV Seattle

I have found a couple of helpful websites that have spectrum monitor pictures, and some of the really obvious and constant identifiers, like the spikes on AMC-9 an AMC-1, the pyramid on Galaxy 3c or my favorite "Batman" on Galaxy 25.

"http://www.upfrontfotos.com/satellites/index.html"
is one I printed off , another one is
"http://www.coastalmediagroup.com/satwave.html"

just going out and practicing is the most important thing though.

Good Luck
Butch Henderson
Photog/Sat Truck Op
KCPQ-TV Seattle
Those links have got to be the most helpful tools i've seen yet. Thank you so much.