Salary question: foriegn correspondent

Petruk

Folks,
I'm not a shooter, I've worked as a VJ and field producer for GMA occasionally. I work with a top cameraman and a sound/tech guy.

I recently talked my way into a gig as a field producer for a foreign news company. While they liked my story pitch, and were fine with buying my unedited footage, they said they really preferred to have a correspondent/producer/editor who can put an edited piece in their hands.

I told them I would audition for a correspondent/editor job for them I would give them the raw footage and an edited piece. If they like my on-camera presence and my edited piece, they can use it. If not, they could use their own correspondent and edit however they saw fit.

Here's the question. I make about $600 for 10 hrs of local field production. What would be an appropriate rate for additional on-camera reporting, VO and editing the 2:30 piece? I can edit myself on FCP or bring it to a pro.

Thanks for any help.
Petruk

zac love

There is a good chance that they'll want you to bring all of your own equipment & pay you less.

I can't say first hand, but it seems like one person doing a two person job gets paid as much as one person doing one person's job, and in many cases less.

If you can get paid more for doing more work, then go for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they'll still pay you the same for doing the work of two people. I think the only way you make money by doing the job of two people is when you're the only guy willing to do the job of two people.

For me, I'd rather wear multiple hats in a day to get a pay check, than only wear one hat & sit at home making no money.

If it is a good company, you'll get paid more, but the recession is a good excuse for companies that are well in the black to ask more of their employees / contractors and ofter to pay them less.