Reporter/Photojournalists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Critique

I was hoping I could start a thread on how hard it is to find good talented storytellers who want to be the next greatest one person band. I know all the reasons why folks would not want to come to northern Iowa/south central Minnesota. But I think there are good reasons that outweigh those.
The pay is pretty decent for the market, good gear that is getting better, and a great positive working environment that champions ethical storytelling. With the exception of winter, the quality of life is pretty good too.
Looking for any insight in hopes that someone out there is also looking for a job they would have a lot of fun at.

Dave Werthiemr
News Director
KIMT NewsChannel 3
Mason City Iowa

John M.

It's hard to find "good talented storytellers" anywhere, let alone a market that size. And I dare say that few people list as their career ambition "to be the greatest one person band."

More likely they want to be the next Mary Hart.

You might have better luck finding a bright photographer (especially on this particular message board) who has the interest and the ability to put stories together but not the interest or ability to report them in front of the camera.

He or she can shoot the piece, bring it back to the station and collaborate with the producer or anchor to write it. The anchor voices it over and the photographer edits it. It makes your anchor look more actively involved in reporting the news and the final product should look more polished.

dhilljr

The size of the market has little to do with a good story teller wanting to go there. There are many other reasons to move to a market besides it's size. There could be family reasons, or the quality of life, or any number of things. I met Dave in Oklahoma in 2000, saw the stuff he has shot. If a storyteller of his caliber would move to a smaller market, (granted, for a different position) why not someone else. There are plenty of good story tellers quite content in smaller markets, I'm one of them.
David

John M.

Originally posted by dhilljr:
The size of the market has little to do with a good story teller wanting to go there.
I disagree. Market size has TONS to do with it. There are exceptions, of course, and you may be one of them. But ask 100 good writer/reporters if they'd like to greatly increase their salaries while also markedly reducing their work loads and 98 of them are going to say yes before you finish the question.

In three years as a one-man-band eons ago myself, I worked as hard to polish my photography and editing as I did my writing and reporting. But while I got great satisfaction out of it (in fact I own my own camera and shoot pieces in my spare time now), I grew tired of doing two jobs for the price of a half.

Besides, by posing the question, Dave acknowledged that finding skilled one-person-bands for his market is difficult. I merely tried to explain why that is.

What say you?

dhilljr

I do agree with you that many poeple are looking to move up in markets. There is a chance, that by posting it here, Dave will find somebody who is a good storyteller who wants to move to that area of the country. As I stated, it could be for family or other reasons. Just because it is small market doesn't mean that good story tellers wouldn't want to go there.
David

John M.

Originally posted by dhilljr:
Just because it is small market doesn't mean that good story tellers wouldn't want to go there.
But it cuts down the odds considerably.

I wish Dave luck in finding good people. If his credentials can attract them and inspire them to develop further, I cheer the effort.

There are too many newsrooms that can barely recognize well done stories let alone nurture their creation. The profession needs more quality television storytellers, whether they shoot their own video or not.

Guy Critique

Market size aside I am of the firm belief that bigger is not really better.
I have done my best one person band work in Raleigh, Philadelphia, Minneapolis and Mason City. It all has to do with newsroom philosophy.

If anyone knows of anyone who wants the challenge to work in one of the most positive newsrooms in the country send them to me!

Guy Critique

Tell ya the truth, winters are tough but you get used to them.
I enjoy the 4 seasons, they build character and the stories you tell on those characters are something else.

Dave,
How far is Mason City to Iowa City? On the website, it says there is only one photog, is that right? Or do the reporters shoot their own stuff? Does "one man band" equal shoot and report? Never thought about going on the other side of the lens before... Sorry for all the questions, it's the journalist in me...

Status
Not open for further replies.