Reporter in need of advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a year ago I began working at a top 50 market.
I was excited about working with photogs with more experience than the ones I had left behind in the 100's. I thought they would be more creative, carry more knowledge, and frankly be better. They are not.

This devastates me because my photogs work has always been my muse when I sit down to write. I thought I had always been clear with my photographers about what I'd like out in the field.
I'm happy when they get me those shots, but there is nothing better than popping that tape in, scrolling through the video and finding shots and sequences that I can write to.

Many times the current photogs I work with don't even get basic shots for me, things that I thought were standard, like wide, medium close.

I'm at the end of my rope here. I try communicating with my photogs, explaining to them the story, what I need, how important their video is to OUR story. I ask them to be "cinematic" if at all possible. They old ones don't ever say anything, the young ones are too arrogent to listen.

Please, tell me how to deal.

[ May 29, 2005, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Newzjunkie ]

Julio

Hey Newzjunkie, you sound like one of the current reporters I work with. This reporter is having a simaler problem, he was close friends with the photogs at his last station so he got what he wanted. Now he is having to explain what he wants to a new shop (with 3 rookies) who aren't use to his style. Not a problem, here's what I tell him and my advise to you as well. Watch what your photog is shooting, don't stand over his/her shoulder, but make sure you know what your going back with. Say thing like "Hey, I don't know if you shot this already, but could you get me a shot of blah blah blah?" Don't make your photographer fell like you don't trust them or some of them will not preform to the best of there abilities.

ABC Chief

Pick the guy you work with most. Pull him aside or buy him lunch and have a heart to heart. Tell him you appreciate him and what he is doing. Explain that your getting frustrated and would like some help. You want to make the station better and "our stories"(you and him)look and feel better when there put together. Ask him if he would like to try it. If he does, go about getting him involved in that day's story. Ask him what he thinks, you should focus on your key elements and how he see's it in his head. Ask him to get all those shots. Have fun, overshoot. Give him TIME to shoot. Don't expect miracles in a week. Look for motivation in his shooting. A desire to capture the story you two have talked about. See where that leads. See what happens. If he doesn't work out try the next guy in line. Try and approach the situation in a positive manner. I have to say the way you started this message was rather harsh. A change in additude usually makes for a change in results. For the arrogant ones tell them you want to narrate a photojournalistic experience. Ask them to get the shots that will take you there. In turn win them a Photographer of the year award. You just want to ride on their coat tails. You often get more flies with honey than cream of mushroom soup. Keep posting and I would like to see how this turns out. Hey if you would, please rate me. I would like to know what people think of my advice. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.