Red shoot

paulisphotoman

Have my first shoot with Red tomorrow. Been testing it last several days, just getting to know the camera. I noticed the body of the camera gets very warm, although no warnings lights or displays come up, but is this normal for this camera ?

Necktie Boy

Yup, they do run hot. If the camera gets too hot, it will stop recording. I have heard that some use ice bags to keep the camera cool. The cooling fan may get a bit loud.
I hope you are shooting double system.

Run&Gun

I know guys that have had them shut down because of heat. I've heard the same things as Necktie with the cold packs on the body. And once they shut-down, it's not like turning an ENG camera back on. It basically has to re-boot, which is not super fast.

yep keep it out of direct sunlight when possible and keep in mind that long takes will build heat faster. That said there are crews here in Texas that use them in high summer so just be mindful and plan some extra time in for the outside possibility of an unexpected shut down and you will be fine.

Ken

Depends on which Red model you are using. I have owned the original Red One, which did have overheating problems very early on but were fixed (that was six years ago)... I never had it shut down on me even during interviews, nor did I ever have any serious problems with that camera.

The Red Epic that I owned never shutdown but did get loud during recording when it had the older fan system and not up to date software. Problem went away with upgrade. I never had a shutdown issue with it and once I figured out the fan control software, never had fan noise issues.

Now I own the upgraded Red Epic X Dragon and have never had a problem with heat or noise. The camera can run hot on extended takes. That is normal.

Run&Gun

Almost everything seems to run hot, now. You can almost fry an egg on my 2700's(and 27H). Sometimes the cards are almost too hot to hold. Heck, even my smallHD 7" has a fan in it that runs all the time unless you go into the menu and turn it off.

paulisphotoman

Shoot went smooth, even though talent showed up late. I did notice that the viewfinder was very dark, which didn't help. I didn't see any settings to brighten up the image, which really worried me, since I was really concerned about maintaining focus and exposure. I never noticed it before, since I mainly did tests outside, but was wondering if there is a setting to brighten the image ??

The location was in a gym, which was dark, lighting used wasn't sufficient enough either.
I had a Rifa Lowell kit, which is great for interviews or smal areas, but needed 500+W LED's or 1K's for flood lights, didn't have any. I know now more fully what I need plus am hoping the boss will give me the benefit of the doubt, not fire me.