Recycling crackdown....

photoguy603

Here's one from our 5:30 today. My reporter and myself shot, wrote and edited this within 3 hours. I honestly thought the mayor and official sound would make a dull story but when I was shooting and my reporter was talking with them I went down the street and around the corner and wound up finding a homeless guy picking up cans. He was friendly so I tossed a few questions at him (using my nat mic) as he was going through the bins. Our entire conversation lasted less than 1 minute but I think it helped add to the story and made it much better. Wish I could've had more time with him but he said goodbye and kept going on his way...

http://bit.ly/15zTOVE

Latin Lens

Soooo, not too shabby. You're right that the guy collecting cans helped this story big time. Kudos for getting him and incorporating him into the essence of the story. However during the mayor's first sound bite I think you had some unmotivated nat breaks...I understand what you were going for but it didn't fit. So try and re-watch stories with a fresh mind and catch things like that. As photogs we sometimes want to get a little too nat-happy but don't force the issue when their is no need. The viewer or managers may not notice but a good photog/editor will and does. Again just fine tune some audio fading between nat breaks and track...the interviews coulda been jazzed up a bit by placing some recycling in the foreground and the mayor standing in front of the house. It'd be a bit wide but again, variation in editing and interviews can just add some appeal to your work. Nice job.

photoguy603

Thanks for the feedback as always man. I agree with the mayor framing your thinking exactly what I had originally wanted to do but there were no bins on his block and he was shooting a PSA so we were kinda stuck but I wish I had done something different with the second guy just to switch it up. Thanks again!