Recommend a Pan & Scan program?

TexasDave

Looking for a program to run on a Mac that's good for photos - mostly looking for pan & scan features.

I like the iMovie Ken Burns effects, but before I shell out the $$$ for that program, wanted to see what else you guys are using. Plus, the new iMovie bundle has stuff I don't really need.

bluffton

TDave,

Are you wanting something to do the work for you? In FCP, you only have to put the photo on a timeline and do what work in the Canvas. If you right click on the clip in the timeline and choose "remove attributes" and then a box will show up and choose the DISTORT and BASIC MOTION and click OKAY.

At this point the clip will become the actual size and you can keyframe it however you want to get'er done. It is incredibly easy if you play with it for an evening.

Good luck.

Anthony Mirones

Necktie Boy

I believe most editing software had the ability to move on a still. FCP, Premiere, and Avid have that feature. For better control, After Effects or Motion would be best , but also cost more. I don't know the cost of Final Cut Express, but that should have that feature. I want to say that it cost around $125 bucks, and the projects will import to FCP.

Bluffton,

FCP resize stills to fit the project setting, but it uses process power to do that. I always bring in my still at the project's setting. That way, FCP doesn't have to resize it...Also with sound, if you import a 44.1k file, FCP will rez it up to 48k, again using process power to do that.

Canonman

Looking for a program to run on a Mac that's good for photos - mostly looking for pan & scan features.

I like the iMovie Ken Burns effects, but before I shell out the $$$ for that program, wanted to see what else you guys are using. Plus, the new iMovie bundle has stuff I don't really need.
Why would you buy iMovie? It comes standard with every Mac. If you mean upgrading to the latest version of iLife apps, that's not necessary as iMovie has had Ken Burns effects for the last few versions.

Otherwise, Necktie and Bluffton gave some solid advice for doing the effect in FCP.

cm