Rain Slickers

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Guapo

Why on earth is rain gear for cameras so expensive? Maybe i'm looking in the wrong spots...but $180 to 300 bucks a pop seems rediculous to me. I'm just trying to order a couple of quick pull over rain covers...nothing fancy. I already searched ENGGadets.com and combed through magazines. It's gonna be tough to get a PR for $1000 dollars approved for some rain jackets. I'll take any suggestions.

Natural Born Stringer

Well this is going to sound really stupid but hear me out. I too was ill over the cost of a raincoat for my betacam. I used to scowl at the sky in frustration on rainy nights as the scanners would go nuts with accident calls, trees down, lightning related fires, and so on. Sitting at home was costing me money, but I was damned if I was gonna pay $300 for a camera's raincoat.

Well one day my wife goes shopping and comes back with a new comforter for the bed. It's packaged up in a really heavy clear plastic bag, with a zipper. I eyeballed it cautiously and noted that it seemed about the right width and depth for a betacam body. It was rectangular, and held it's shape even without the blanket inside. I asked her what she intended to do with the bag.

"Oh I was just going to throw it away." she replied.

"So you wouldn't mind if I cut it up then?" I asked.

"No.... why?" was her reply. I said "You'll see" as I headed to the kitchen to get the big scissors from the junk drawer.

I cut the case in half lengthwise, and then cut a hole big enough for the lens to poke thru. To use the cover, I would put the lens thru the hole and pull the rest of it over the camera, like a toaster cover. Once I put it on for the first time, it was a simple matter to cut a small hole on the side for the viewfinder. The open bottom allowed easy access to the controls and tripod mount, and the top kept the critical parts of the camera nice and dry as the rain fell. The only drawback was I couldn't use my lights, because they would melt the plastic if I did! But a small portable floodlight solved that, and I already had one anyway for when the on-camera lights just weren't enough.

Plus, being made out of clear plastic, I could see thru to the audio meters and switches and such. Worked every bit as good as the expensive camera cover, but it only cost me $40 at walmart and came with a free blanket :D

LOL, go see if your boss will approve some blankies - Explain the cover idea and then tell him you can also use the blankets to keep warm with inbetween live shots! Or use 'em to wrap up that pretty little reporter so she think's you're her hero... who knows what that might get you in return.....

Sorry,
Thats what happens when you are doing two things at once. I just looked at the heading and not the full message. FYI I use the portabrace cover for my equipment it has a rain cover.
Bill

Air_7

I had a borta brace cover and now they have a rain cover. I didn't care to much for the Porta Brace but I did buy one by "Petrol" at the DV show in LA today for a Sony PD 170 for $75.00 and I really like it as its better then the cover I had. Easy access to everything and they make them for all types of cameras and will do custom work. The name of the rain slicker is "Petrol" and here is a link to one at B and H....Hope this helps you out ...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=236286&is=REG

You can also reach them here in Costa Meas, Ca. under another bussiness name "Oconnor" 714-979-3993

[ December 09, 2004, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: Air_7 ]

Run&Gun

I've been using the Kata rain cover for about 7 years and I really like it. I think I got mine for about $112 7 years ago. B&H lists 'em for $129. Try Custom Supply in Birmingham, AL, that's where I got mine, and they are always less expensive than almost everyone else. What's $120 bucks or so to protect $20 or $30 K worth of camera?! ;)

FOXLight

Dito on the Kata covers... they also have light covers made of kevlar so you can use your light and not burn the cover.

Imachief

Have to agree with FOXlight and RUN&Gun; the KATA RC-1 has got to be the best rain gear available. jmho. I've got them for everyone on my staff. Winter here means heavy rains, and we haven't had a single weather related camera failure since we got 'em.

Gotta figure out what's more important; paying a little for rain gear now...or asking your ND/GM to pay a lot for camera repairs later.

Foxwood

I had the same problem a while back. Right after I started a Chiefs job, I saw the need to buy about 10 new raincovers, with no budget for doing so. I had some $ in a misc. account, but not enough for what was needed for brand new store bought stuff.

I found a seamstress who would work with me, bought the material at a sewing shop, and we stiched up a bunch for about $33 each. Even sealed the seams.

Other stations in the group found out, and I was soon shipping them all over.

They worked well for 4 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.