Puerto Rico Pkg for Telemundo

Latin Lens

Won't be too hard since you've only shot for 3 months but there are some obvious no-no mistakes that you should never make...one of which is a jumpcut...your story starts off with one...and it always hurts to see that. Getting more variety is better. Also you actually did a decent job of shot composition but you need to understand the value of ultrawide and utratight which will help with us understand location and giving visual stimulation. Also...pretty much all your shots are from your eye level and you need to change height for even more variety...placing camera on the ground...whatever to get more variety. Also why use still shots in the story when you had obvious b-roll oppurtunities for video? A soldier eating a meal at a table offers off the top of my head at least 12 shots I can think of in 10 secs....which would be more than enough to cover that track. Get the video in the field to use in the edit bay for the best story possible. You are laying the foundation of the basics that will carry you through your career. Don't do too much too soon. Master the basics then expand from there.

pwshelton

Hey Ozkar, I appreciate the critique man, thanks. When you say get more variety in the shots, aside from putting the camera on the ground, what would be some other good ways to do this with this pkg in particular?

Ultratight shots are something I do need to work on, Ive been getting stuck lately when sequencing wrecks or fires, with everybody moving around it seems like I'm finding more potential jump cuts and difficulty smoothing things out.

Thanks so much for your input. I'll post something different up here soon.

Latin Lens

Paul....as the saying goes "variety is the spice of life"...it can literally apply to shooting because the tights and wides add really the salt and pepper to your story...they set the location and give some relativity to the viewer by seeing more or add emotion or description by getting nice and tight and showing detail. The more you have or them from every angle is better...literally move around the entire location, put your camera behind objects...anywhere and everywhere you can. That's how you start to develop your "photog eye" so the minute you walk into a location you can see the hundreds and hundreds of shots available.