Problems making a music CD from FCP

Baltimore Shooter

I have some music and voice tracks that I'm trying to export from FCP so that I can burn them to a CD for demos. I exported the audio files (using Quicktime conversion) as a .aif file. When I put that in a regular CD player, all I got was static, no music or voice.

I then tried converting them to MP3 files and then saving them as a .AIFF music file, as my production music library plays on regular CD players and comes up as a .AIFF Music file, but I got the same thing, static.

What step am I missing? What am I not doing?

Warren

MtnShooter

That's why I like Sony Vegas... it has Sound Forge built in.

In Vegas/Sound Forge, you need to render the file before you export it. Isn't it the same in Final Cut?

If you like, email me one of the mp3 files and I'll pop it into Vegas, render it back as an mp3 from Sound Forge, and email it back to you to see if that helps.

mtnscribe@qwest.net

Necktie Boy

I believe you have to use ITunes to convert the audio file(aff) to CD file. There should be an option to burn a CD in ITunes. It sounds right now, you are just burning .aff files to the CD. If you have a PC
with Nero or Roxy(SP), they will convert audio files to CD files. Then you can play the CD in a regular CD Player.

bluffton

here's the work flow you want to use from fcp to itunes:

export from fcp using quicktime conversion, choose aiff 48khz
then import the file(s) into itunes
create a folder in itunes, place stuff into folder
burn folder onto cd.

SoMissTV

As others have said, burning the .aiff file directly to the CD results in a data CD with an audio file on it, not an audio CD. You can use any number of programs, including iTunes or Nero, to create an audio disc.

Dan R.

If you're using Windows, you can export the audio as a 48khz WAV and use the built-in Windows CD writer to burn as an audio CD when prompted. This will play in all CD players old and new.

Canonman

Standard audio CDs, have a sampling rate of 44.1khz, not 48. You can't put MP3 or AIFF or WAV on a standard audio cd and expect it to play in older players. It has to be converted to .CDA format using any of a number of software apps for that purpose.

cm

Baltimore Shooter

Standard audio CDs, have a sampling rate of 44.1khz, not 48. You can't put MP3 or AIFF or WAV on a standard audio cd and expect it to play in older players.
cm
I don't know but it worked for me. In the office, I have a 11yr old Koss stereo/CD player/dual cassette deck. Yeah, I know nothing fancy but it's just for my office. Anyways, the CD played fine on that. Don't know how old you mean by "older", but I'd say an 11yr old CD player is getting up there as far as CD players go.

Warren

Canonman

I don't know but it worked for me. In the office, I have a 11yr old Koss stereo/CD player/dual cassette deck. Yeah, I know nothing fancy but it's just for my office. Anyways, the CD played fine on that. Don't know how old you mean by "older", but I'd say an 11yr old CD player is getting up there as far as CD players go.

Warren
Warren, Itunes converted your audio for you and made the audio CD. So no matter what sample rate the original was, it got converted for you to CDA format.

I'd agree that your older Koss player is a good test bed for audio CDs. With a lot of the newer players, you can use MP3 files copied straight to the disc, but even my 2001 Chevy truck can't handle that. It wants the original style audio CD format.

In any case, glad you got it worked out.

cm

zac love

So no matter what sample rate the original was, it got converted for you to CDA format. ...
thanks for setting the record straight!

I was reading this post & about to have a heart attack. "put aiff, wav, mp3 on the CD & it will play fine" ackkk! it HAS to be in CDA format. most burning programs will take almost any audio format & convert it to CDA w/o the user having to click anything more than the big red 'record' button

whew... somehow romming w/ a Comp-Sci major in college you pick up a lot of how computers work and I was glad to see that Cannonman came to the rescue & cleared things up

I had a similar converstaion at work a couple days ago about putting video onto a blank DVD. we archive all the news to Quicktime, & another photog had burnt a DVD-R w/ some of that footage & took it home only to find that nothing was playing on the TV. data DVDs are different than video DVDs. same thing w/ data / aduio CDs.

& while I could explain how all of this works, instead I'll end w/ I'm glad its working Baltimore Shooter. and if anyone wants to learn more about blank media, google is only a few seconds away...

Canonman

I had a similar converstaion at work a couple days ago about putting video onto a blank DVD. we archive all the news to Quicktime, & another photog had burnt a DVD-R w/ some of that footage & took it home only to find that nothing was playing on the TV. data DVDs are different than video DVDs. same thing w/ data / aduio CDs.
Funny you should mention that. My neighbor was trying to make a dvd of her and the kids for a father's day present to dad. We're all good friends and knowing what I do, she called me for assistance cause the DVD played on the computer but wouldn't play on the DVD unit attached to the tv set.

Long story short, she had done essentially the same thing. Took the WMV file produced by Windows Movie Maker and had just copied the file to the DVD. Since pristine image quality wasn't important to her, I just dropped the WMV file onto a DVD authoring program as a kiosk (no menu) and she was happy when it played on the living room tv. (I'm a sucker for a damsel in distress);)

cm