Poynter Chat on Backpack Journalism at 1pm ET TODAY

104imdirect

Agreed

have to agree with previous post...that was very difficult to follow. Maybe the next one should be hosted here on b-roll

Chicago Dog

Our b-roll.net guru Kevin was recognized and sought for input many times during the chat, though. Way to go, Kev!

And because it's worth mentioning: though he was present, Rosenblum was largely ignored throughout the conversation. That speaks volumes right there.

Hopefully, a transcript will be available.

Lensmith

Just saw this about a "chat"...and have to say I'm disappointed only because it was right in the middle of the work day and not an easy time for many of us to particpate.

That said...I like the idea of things like this and hope to see more of them in the future. But possibly scheduled at a more convenient hour. ;)

Latin Lens

Would have loved to have sat in on this...but the time was too inconvient for me. Can we get a transcript posted Kevin...that would be great.

cameradog

Can we get a transcript posted Kevin...that would be great.
There's a transcript already posted at the Poynty site. Just click the link above and follow the directions.

I found it an irritating read. The topic should have been EITHER one man banding OR Skype live shots. Attempting to discuss both amidst the internet equivalent of a gaggle of honking geese just added to the confusion.

Latin Lens

Thanks!

There's a transcript already posted at the Poynty site. Just click the link above and follow the directions.

I found it an irritating read. The topic should have been EITHER one man banding OR Skype live shots. Attempting to discuss both amidst the internet equivalent of a gaggle of honking geese just added to the confusion.

Thanks Cameradog...that was quite a read.

AlexLucas

Just read the whole spiel. Couple of points:

Some of these people were straight out of bizarro world, compared to me.
I had no idea where they got these concepts. I am assuming that the ones that were connected to the BPJs as they like to call them now, are people that are working in small markets alone, because their staffs are in need of a good "high market teacher," and need to see what you aim for.

1. There are a lot of people that say that writing as a skill is something that is somehow similar to photography.

Literally, I don't think in any fashion these people know what they're talking about.
Writing is a skill, that many don't realize that they're terrible at, because terrible writing is everywhere. They should have learned that, by the age of ten, whether they had any aptitude to write well, with the sheer volume of letters they've been slapping on papyrus since they were children. We were scrawling letters out since the age of four. My two year old has a leapfrog device that sings to him, and he fumbles through the ABCs already.
You can pretty much take your age, subtract four, and that's how long you've been writing.
You give a camera to a person.
All of the sudden they're a photographer.
Yeah, and I'm Ernest Hemmingway. Honest I am. I've typed on a typewriter.

And somehow the skills of being a good writer and being a good photographer take the same amount of time.

2. Two people compromise a story.

That's funny, because I write half the bridges of my reporter, and they bounce ideas off of me. I bounce ideas off of them. I give them contacts, and they me. I watch for their bias. And they tap me on the shoulder when I'm in the viewfinder.
What's wrong with having an expert who happens to be your partner sitting next to you?
I defer writing to my reporter. They defer shooting to me.
However, they have every right to get up in that video and tell me what they're a-thinkin'.

3. Smaller cameras are HD. Bigger cameras at stations are usually not. Therefore- smaller cameras are giving the audience what they want while bigger cameras are not.

This is so amazingly ignorant it hurts my brain.
I know the people on this board. We don't need to go into this.

4. Good shooting comes quickly, and good writing takes time.
Seriously. What the hell?
Most people were saying you become a good shooter in no time at all.
Once again. Seriously? What the hell?

Once again, and I say this with love... most of these people are "small market" ignorant. They're living in the 'good enough' world of television. They haven't been properly trained... they're using Skype as a live shot method... and some actually say it looks good.
They think that writing is hard and photography is easy and quick.
One is a master art, and the other is nice to pick up along the way.

Seriously. It just sounded pathetic to me.

Yingdog

:)alex, i had a very similar discussion with someone at my station today that was just 'trained' on our new p2 baby cams. some people out there really need to read this forum so that they can hear all of this discussion in a well thought out manner. sometimes it gets bogged down, but man, if i could speak half as well as some of these members write, well, maybe i would make a good vj (just kidding). :)

couryhouse

I am sorry I missed this online Chat...( I was covering the mayor's state of the city speech with my tiny cam , laptop and EVDO-A card..)

It was good to read it though. Mike and Kev and others made some good points... and this BPJ from Phoenix? I want to talk to her... I had not run across her in the field... but I am pretty hyperlocal on Glendale.

Last edited: