please critique

Latin Lens

Well...if you are trying to be sarcastic with the "warmly received" comment then I think you should just stop...because believe it or not...if you are opening yourself to criticism then you need to take the bad with the good. We are actually trying to help you if you can see that...you have world class talent at the click of a mouse at your fingertips trying to help you improve...yes, perhaps I am taking this too seriously but if you want to have a crappy attitude then don't post and we'll be none the wiser. I won't lose any sleep at night but if you're serious about what it is you are trying to accomplish then I suggest you open your ears and listen. And the reason I personally take offense is because I come to this forum and share all my experience and knowledge for free whenever I have time. I do it because I care about photogs who care about getting better and learning. So please be mindful of the time we take to watch your work and help you....now back to the second attempt.

So I would like to know for whom do you currently shoot for? News? And what possibly are your goals with uploading a demo reel? This is a step in the positive direction. You are showcasing your shooting skills with story examples...however, I don't think this should be considered your "best" work is it? And the reason I asked the previous questions because you need to work on some issues in your shooting...namely gathering better nat sound and incorporating it into your stories...the sights and sounds take me to the scene so get me there and take me on the visual journey. Can't really tell how well you light anything because most of your intvs are light with natural light which is good but you need to showcase what you can do...can you light an interview? Can you light and compose creative interviews? Those are things we need to see in order to put your name on a list to get a potential job somewhere.

humble pie

Ozkar, first of all I apologize if you or anyone else were offended by my remarks. The "warmly received" was intended with a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge". It's so hard to convey tone in this format.

This being said, yes, I understand that this forum contain a wealth of experience and knowledge, and I am lucky and humbled to be given constructive criticism from such an array of talent.

Back to your serious questions:

So I would like to know for whom do you currently shoot for? News? And what possibly are your goals with uploading a demo reel?

I just finished a 1 year contract back-filling a sick leave for a major news network in Canada. So I am looking for either permanant work with said network, or some freelance gigs.

This is a step in the positive direction. You are showcasing your shooting skills with story examples...however, I don't think this should be considered your "best" work is it?

No this is not my best work... In hindsight, I should have saved more clips before my contract ended.

And the reason I asked the previous questions because you need to work on some issues in your shooting...namely gathering better nat sound and incorporating it into your stories...the sights and sounds take me to the scene so get me there and take me on the visual journey.

Yes, I am aware that audio is not my strength...

Can't really tell how well you light anything because most of your intvs are light with natural light which is good but you need to showcase what you can do...can you light an interview? Can you light and compose creative interviews?

My background is actually as a still photographer, and I prefer to work with available light, but yes, I can creatively light. These clips are not the best example of this, but working for a news network, most of what I did was sungun on full, get in and get out (on a daily basis).

Those are things we need to see in order to put your name on a list to get a potential job somewhere.

Thanks for the input, Ozkar.

Latin Lens

No worries man...like I said, I might have taken it too personal but I have seen lots of characters come and go in this forum with really bad attitudes about critiques. I don't know everything but I will gladly share with you what I do know to help.

So obviously you don't have access to your story bank anymore is that the root of the problem about what stories you are showcasing? Because if you are at all friendly with anyone at that place you should ask if they could get some of your material to you...maybe offer to take them to lunch if they dub some stories for you on their off time or something. Because seriously the main problem with it all is that there is not enough variation in the type of news you are showing to say you can adequetly do a GA photog stint...these are features but can you cover hard news...can you cover breaking news...how well can do you do it and thats where the story examples play to your favor...so the chiefs want to know what you can do and how well you do it so they can see if you fit into their staff. The still to video can be a challenge but you seem to have grasp the concept well but there's some room to improve...namely better sequencing and more variation in wides, mediums, and tights...I don't envy your position because you seem like you want to work but unless you get some other material you could be better off either getting lucky or working somewhere small and work up.