PIX 240 or 240i?

Focused

Sound devices released an update to the PIX 240-the 240i.

It sounds as if the change allows for an even higher quality ProRes recording option. Better for chroma work. TC display changes were also made.

Besides those two things, are there any major updates?

I have a nanoflash and the update to native prores and SSDs is inviting. Is there enough difference between the two models to get the latest and more costly item?

Douglas

For my money, the Atomos Blade or Samurai or better deals if your main priority is simply to record 10-bit ProRes. The Pix is nice, but overkill for what a lot of people really need. I have a Samurai but if I was buying today I'd get the Blade.

Focused

Roger that.

Having the options of the PIX (like HD-SDI and HDMI) would be nice. The XLR inputs makes it more flexible when mixing on set and using a DSLR. The cross converter extends the life of an existing camera with out more hard ware in between.

Oh bother....

I suppose I could get a Ninja 2 and a Blade and still be under the cost of the New PIX 240i.

Thanks for reminding me of those models.

Starman

Hmmm...I have a Samurai and a Ninja, both are good pieces of gear. It seems like if you were shooting on a DSLR, the Pix would be the better option because of the XLR inputs, and the Samurai/Ninja would be the better option for cameras with XLR inputs and either SDI or HDMI outputs.

Focused

being prepared

The goal is to be prepared for both.

I have my cameras and preferences, but also shoot on client requested and owned gear. Alexa on down to whatever is the flavor of the month. Having the hd-sdi also gives me an extra monitor (view finder) that can be used wirelessly with the teradek bolt.

I've tracked down a gently used unit from a local shooter who is "retiring." He and I will be in touch about the details.

Necktie Boy

I had to see what were the difference were between the two.

The PIX 240 and 240i provide a 5-inch LCD display with 800 x 480 resolution for monitoring, playback, audio metering, and menu access. Large, illuminated controls make it easy to use in all kinds of lighting. The 240i includes improvements in monitoring by employing an IPS-based LCD panel and a firmware upgrade.

The PIX 240i includes an exposure assist feature with that uses false colors or multilevel zebra-stripes. There’s also a focus assist, which includes a peaking filter and pixel zoom.

It seems the 240i might be better in the long run.

Focused

The 240 I looked at had firmware 3.0 loaded so it had the false colors, zebra and focus assist. Pretty well loaded. It might be a little heavier than the full carbon fiber 240i, but still a real solid piece of gear.

His price was right and i have already used it in the field. Happy to have it.

Ken

Love my Pix240. Eventually I'll upgrade to the 240i. Having the great audio inputs are important to me.

Necktie Boy

Focused,

Looks like you made the right deal. You really can't go wrong with a Sound Device.
Put it to good use.

Focused

Im very happy with it.

Used it last weekend as a second program recorder for a 2hr show. Was flawless.