Photoshop v. Illustrator

paulisphotoman

Tell me what is the difference; I worked with Photoshop years ago, but am now working with Illustrator, just wondering how they differ ?

paulisphotoman

I am just now learning Illustrator, but spent years on Photoshop.
I was told Illustrator is much better, esp got resizing logos ???

sort of. It depends on what you need if you are working in things that need a large degree of scalability then you want them to be vector graphics. This applies to logos and things that are essentially drawn. Where as photoshop is the tool to use if you want to edit photos hands down.

paulisphotoman

Yes, of course, Photoshop is good for photos, I did that alot many years ago. I was working for a big company on Photoshop 5.0-5.5, then started on 6.0, but then left to become a fulltime DP.

I hadn't had any experience on Illustrator, but logos are what I'm learning now.
What about just normal text, since I mainly used Title Tool in Premiere ??
Since I just starting on Illustrator, I'm wondering, from what others have seen,
what the best purpose of Illustrator should be ?

It has more to do with what the destination is. While you could use Illustrator to build some beautiful FSG and lower third graphics I would personally say the title tool or something made for television graphics is the way to go.

In the case of Illustrator I remember using it mostly in the same type of situation you are describing when I was starting out I apprenticed to a still photographer for a while and would occasionally use it. I found it to be suited a bit more to graphic artists. I did use it to design some nice scalable logos for business cards websites etc but never considered myself to be more than marginally proficient with it.

I used to know a couple of guys who could do full scale renderings with amazing quality.... but then again hey were graphic artists with decades of experience working for newspapers, print shops etc. My understanding from them is that most of your comics are done in illustrator before being sent to print.

paulisphotoman

I'm going to be primarily using Illustrator for logos, maybe some texts, but for video production to be seen on web (youtube, etc), DVD, broadcast....doing alot of simulated learning, training videos, but also commercials, doc's, etc

Necktie Boy

In simple terms, Illustrator is for drawing. PhotoShop is for painting. With updates, the lines are getting burred since both can do similar stuff.

I always asked for ai(Illustrator files) from clients. Since they use them for letterheads and other uses, easier to get them from them, than trying to recreate the logo. But if the jpeg is large enough, I just go with that if used as a bug.