Photojournalist Visits Local High School

tnitro81

Some say news photogs should be seen and not heard well this news photojournalist says, "NOT!" I, Thomas Bradley of WTVM/WXTX was invited to speak to Mr. Ames communications class at Smith Station High School in Smith Station Alabama. While I spoke to them I had a chance to show off the gear that a news photog has to carry/ use everyday, present samples of my work that aired on our newscasts and finally took the students on a tour of our live truck in operation. During the course of my appearance I had a chance to engage in some Q & A. To view my appearance at the school click here.

Lensmith

I think it's great you got out there and showed them what you work with.
You looked professional too. Thanks for setting a good example of us to the community and the "young minds". ;)

grinner

Good for you, man. That's fun stuff aint it?
We home school our kids and are part of a co-op. As part of that, I teach video production and post-production to groups ranging from 9-16 years old. I love it. My son (9) helps teach the class as he's been working with me for several years as a PA, grip and videographer. The classes look up to him and he likes that. Heck, I like wtaching that.
I'd love to teach full time if I could make a living at it. Imagine... no deadlines, no stress, no worries.
Ya did good, man. I hope you enjoyed it.

Horonto

I've spoken at high schools and colleges dozens of time. I feel like I'm giving back to the community.

Latin Lens

I applaude you in doing these types of activities. I do the same as much as I can. I feel its important for kids to understand what it is we do for a living...trying to get through to them to find a career that they love to do...it doesn't have to be news or news related but find a career you enjoy doing as much as I do is the main point I stress. Keep doing them....looks like you had fun.

ntxshooter

Pass it down...

Every chance that I have to speak to students from grade school to college. I say yes. We should all do this.

I've had the privilege to do this as well. I'd LOVE to be able to show how a live truck works but they're too much of a valued (and over-used) commodity at our station to have one tied up in a show-and-tell. I do love it when I put my camera on someone's shoulder (as I hang onto the handle of course) and they say "oh my gosh, that's heavy!" (We use Sony XDCam 335's).

I'm pleased to know that our profession is being portrayed to our youth as something that requires hard work, dedication, and professionalism.

Keep it up folks!

canuckcam

Try it at your own station!

I had my camera inside one day and a new producer was curious about it, so she tried it out, put it her shoulder, then I gave her the mic ... "Oh yeah - and here's the list of 10 questions. Good luck trying to juggle the camera, mic and scroll down the blackberry! And before I forget, lets do some cold weather MOS because it's -15 outside." :D ... Aww, this MOS is one of those soft-spoken ones, umm.. I think my thumb can reach that audio pot.. riiighttt... theerrrrrrre....