photog proof head-phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

1911A1

^It's funny you mention that. Last year, I was wearing them while covering the remnants of a hurricane/tropical storm that was passing through our viewing area. I was wearing a cap (to keep some of the rain off my glasses) with the headphones over it. A gust of wind came along and blew off my cap, but the headphones remained on my head...

news-shooter

Originally posted by texshooter:
quote: Originally posted by 1911A1:
Meh, they're not for everybody. I haven't had any problems shooting with them. To each his own... :)
I also really like my 7506's, the only gripe I have is the coil cord does tend to get tangled, and the straight plug can get bent in the headset output on my 300a, but this was solved with a right angle adapter from Radio Shack. And a couple of weeks ago I was shooting a live shot interview for our infotainment/cash cow morning show, when about 30 seconds into the hit, I was sweating so bad, the cans slipped off my head, and were hanging behind my back for the next 3 minutes.

I have tried the IFB route, and don't get the quality I need, and the cheapo headsets just fall apart after a couple of months.
I use the 7502. Similar to 7506 with straight cord. Cord also thicker than consumer "street" headphones wont snap so easily

(edit - cleaned up html tags for clarity of post. No words were changed - Tipp)

[ September 07, 2004, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Tippster ]

2000lux

What I've tried recently is I bought a cheap portable CD player at Best But that came with the kind of headphones I like, and I bought the extended warantee. Now, if I break those head phones I can get the replaced for free! Of course now they've lasted longer than any other pair I've had...
Well, rather than break the headphones, I LOST them! I was shooting a road accident tonight. They were hanging around the wireless antenae. I lost them some where in the fallen leaves. I doubt that Best Buy will replace them, but I'll call and find out any way. Oh well.

I think I'm going to invest in a roll of reflective tape to put on my next pair so I can find them in the dark.

Any one got advice on how not to lose your head(phnes)?

Baltimore Shooter

Originally posted by Baltimore Shooter:
Sony earbuds. $20 at Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. Works great. Had my pair for 3 yrs. A lot easier to use than cumbersome headphones. Let the soundguy use the headphones.

Warren
I've said it before and I'll say it again...EAR BUDS! They're about as Photog proof as you can get. I have part of the cord taped to the camera. I've had this pair for about 3yrs. Can't lose them when they're taped to the camera handle. Eh...just don't lose the camera :eek:

Warren

SeattleShooter

Originally posted by 2000lux:
Also, the cord tends to get tangled.
Not to mention that those come with a 400' cord! :D

I have a set of those pro Sonys and I like them. But it is true, they are a bit bulky and when shooing handheld, they do get in the way a bit. I cut the cord down so it would not be as long. Because over time, the curly cord slackens and becomes longer.

Now I am using Sonys sound canceling headsets and I love them. But they do seem fragile.

dan bach

Originally posted by SAwood:
yup, i hear ya....no pun intended. I really, really cant stand putting the ear piece in. Freaks me out. I've used multiple pairs of Koss headphones. cheapest ones I can find, use them til they take a crap, get a new pair. My only complaint is I wish they had a curly cord. I'm gonna try to solder the ifb curly cord onto the headphones and see if that works.
Won't work...

There's not enough copper wire in them to make a connection. The only thing to do with a broken pair of headphones is to toss them.

S

<Sprite>

For ENG, I use the small SONY earpieces that roll away into a pocket-size plastic case. They're $10 at Radioshack, so it's not a big deal if they get lost or break. Let the audio guys handle the expensive stuff.

2000lux

Well, rather than break the headphones, I LOST them! I was shooting a road accident tonight. They were hanging around the wireless antenae. I lost them some where in the fallen leaves. I doubt that Best Buy will replace them, but I'll call and find out any way. Oh well.
So I took the CD player and a pair of similar head phones back to Best Buy. They said I could return them as a set because I bought the protection plan. However, Sony changed their protable CD player packgages and no longer sell them with the head phones I like! They let me replace my set with a new Panasonic unit, but when I got home I discovered that the headphones plug in to a remote which has the longer cord and then plugs in to the player. Useless for me, so I brought it back the next day. They had already sent out my player and headphones, but they let me trade the Panasonic for a cheap Sony unit that had some usable head phones. Appearently my protection plan was voided when I traded the fist unit for the Panasonic, but because I had aquired it less than 30 days ago, I was able to trade it in...

I don't like the new player as much as the origional one, and the head phones aren't the style I wanted. In summery, the protection plan idea didn't work out for me. In the future, I'm just going to stick with the cheapest pair of around the back of the head head phones I can find. :(

S

<shoot da monkey>

These are the best for what we do KOSS TD-80

1. curly cord
2. 90 degree jack
3. volume controll on both cans
4. some noise cancellation
5. they swivel which makes them very durrable

I have 4 years of hard news use in on mine and theey dont look pretty anymore but they still work great.

M

<Molded>

Molded IFB all the way. Comfortable, duarable, personal, plus it looks cool.

2000lux

Thanks to whomever mentioned the $8 wrap around head phones at Walgreens. I destroyed my set of $12 Maxells today (steped on the cord while I stood up). The new ones look suspiciously like my old (dead) $20 Sonys. Hrmmn...

[ January 05, 2005, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: 2000lux ]

TXPhotog

The only thing I don't like about the ones that go behind your head, is that if you keep them in your bag, eventually the plastic loop gets bent slightly and then it's really awkward when you put them on.

[ January 05, 2005, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: TXPhotog ]

TXPhotog

Originally posted by Old Phart:
How about these: $2600.00 Sony Qualia 010 Hi-def headphones made from magnesium and carbon fiber. They take 4 weeks to make.

http://www.syncmag.com/article2/0,1759,1633951,00.asp

I love that you can say that: "The headphones weigh in at 6.7 oz, less than a Double Decker Supreme from Taco Bell. But because they're made of magnesium and carbon fiber—also found in fighter-jet wings—they're Gumby-flexible and Giambi-strong."

Hmmmm you'd think they'd want to say something other then "Giambi-strong"

Also figured I'd make Toller's day with this one.^

[ January 05, 2005, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: TXPhotog ]

Status
Not open for further replies.