Online demo OK?

sdburbank

Hello

To all those who hire. Is a online demo just as good as a tape or DVD. I have a demo of my work online but was wondering if those hiring don't want to bother looking up a website.

Thanks
Scott

Natural Born Stringer

I've often wondered the same thing. Why not, instead of wasting time and money dubbing and sending tapes all over the country, have a website that you could upload your reel to and then chiefs could browse the tapes that have been posted and contact the photog's they are interested in? Isn't there was a site like that already for talent? Why not photogs?

Think about it - would stations pay a small fee to list an ad and get VIDEO responses to it? I think they would.

Food for thought, Kevin....

Imachief

As for me, I ask for tapes. Why? Because once I have several candidates in mind, I sit down with my assistant, and one or 2 senior staffers to get their input.

If I can't physically get everyone together, I'll ask the tapes be looked at at everyone's earliest opportunity. Than we'll talk about what we like & what we don't. Since we're all going to have to work together, it seems a good way to get a handle on an applicants strengths, or weaknesses. Then the whole process proceeds., ND, scheduling interview trips, yada,yada.:)

Yeah, dubbing is a pain in the a&*, but postage expenses are tax deductable. So for me, VHS please.

El Guapo

I understand how an online reel would be easier for the applicant, but i'm not convinced it would be easier for the chief.

What if your work computer is slow (like mine?) I would have to wait around for a reel to download, buffer, etc. Yeah, I should have a faster computer, but I don't.

When I screen tapes...I like to look at them all at once, back to back to back. It's easier for me to gather all of the tapes, take them home, watch them consecutively than to downlead one at a time and sit on my ass for several minutes in between.

Just my thoughts..

BluesDaddy

I would not mind watching a reel on the computer.
However, I am not always able to see video on the computer at work. For example, I often get a message that I "need to download the latest Flash player to view..." and Flash seems to have gone through several revisions since I first started getting that message. Our IT department (one person/also the Production Manager) does not give a rat's arse if I have the latest Flash player on my terminal.
So, VHS is still the safest bet.

Dedline

Both. Chiefs and managers run the gamut; from the I-hate-computers-and NLE's type, to the I-love-my-ipod web-surfing type. Your best bet is to satisfy both, show your link to the your reel prominently in your address and ON the enclosed tape label.

I was working for the Associated Press last September as an Uplink Engineer and got into a conversation with a news director from LA. I asked him this very question and he responded that he prefers online reels because he always has his computer with him, but not always has access to a VTR or DVD player.

I think what ever market you are trying to get work in depends on the reel delivery preference.

Spot remover

Make it as easy as possible for the chief to see what you have to offer. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to make them find your video online. Part of me feels like you're saying:

"Hey, Mr. Chief- I want a job from you! So, here's what you need to do...go to my website, download the latest player, install that player, restart the computer, log on to the 'net again, find my website, click on the link, then watch my blocky video with the muddy sound...are you gonna hire me now?"

I'm not saying the idea doesn't have merit, just it may not be the strongest way to go after a position.

Some chiefs still do not have internet access at work. Like the others, I like to compare tapes back-to-back. Luckily, I have a T1 line, a TV/VCR on my desk and a DVD player built into my computer, but most don't.

My advice would be to always send a VHS or DVD, then let them know there's a link of they're interested. It almost sounds to me like your idea is about 10 years ahead of it's time.

OKC CHIEF

Jury is still out

I'm torn on the website resume issue. I actually had one applicant apply using his website. It was very interesting to logon and see the "tape". I will be the first one to admit it was interesting to do this but I still have reservations. My primary one is actually having the tape or DVD. I too ask other members of my staff to take a look and give me their input. We are a team and I think my staff needs to look at some of the people who are applying. I'm actually looking at asking applicants to dub to DVD whenever possible. It is now getting harder and harder to find a VHS machine at work and at home. In fact the only one I have is in my grandkids playroom. I really don't want to sit on a Disney couch, built for a 5 year old, and watch resumes. When in a bind I can always pop a DVD into my laptop and watch it while I wait for a perp walk. I'm looking forward to the emailed resume. Currently making a mpeg resume will take to long time to download but it would be neat to just email it and throw it to tape if needed.